Considering a kind-of change of career

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm starting to seriously consider a new career, in teaching young children, and would appreciate some advice.

I know I need a degree qualification (I have GCSEs C and above, and a National Diploma, but nothing more), and I was thinking either English, or more specifically, History (an interest of mine).

The trouble for me is that I haven't got the foggiest idea of how any of this works. I need to keep working, and so I can't study full-time (and don't want to either); any study would have to be on a part-time basis.

I thought maybe become a supply teacher, or teaching assistant to begin with, and see how it goes. It would take a very significant fall in my income to make me give up working in television, but the future of this industry is by no means certain, and one only lives once. I find myself wondering if I can combine the two careers successfully. The other side to this is that quite frankly I'm getting rather sick of some of the people I find myself working with, who seem only to care about ticking boxes, rather than being creative and producing something to be proud of. I enjoy writing articles on Wikipedia, as I find the process to be an excellent way of learning about subjects that interest me, and I also enjoy speaking to my mates about some of the more bizarre incidents in history I've covered—they seem very much to appreciate it. I think I could relate such things quite well, to children.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Only young kids eh? I was thinking about media studies or such...

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
My mum became a teacher at around 38. To do this she did an 'access course' in her chosen subject (maths) and then a degree in teaching, and got a job straight away after finishing. It was hard work (bringing up 5 kids as a single parent at the same time etc) but it would seem she thinks it was worth it.

The other option is to take a PGCE, instead of a degree, which my brother is now doing.

My brother qualifies for the PGCE because he's doing it straight out of Uni. I don't know if doing an access course would allow you to do a PGCE.

Tilda

I thought (but dont know) you had to do a degree of some sort to then do the PGCE? I didn't think you could do it instead of a degree?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Speak to russ, she has just qualified after 2 years training

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
OU looks like the way to go if you want to keep working. I think you would find it hard to combine working as a TA with your TV work, although that's pure guesswork on my part. Anyway, if you did a degree first that would mean you could keep your options open once qualified. OU isn't a soft option; I know I wouldn't have the discipline to keep it up and I know a lot of people who've fallen by the wayside doing OU, which is partly why I quit work and did my degrees full time.

Also bear in mind that teaching in the UK is quite tightly syllabus based so you may not get the opportunity to be as creative with your history lessons as you'd like! Good look with it though; a couple of friends from my Uni days have given up high-paying jobs to do the same (one was in PR, the other a lawyer) and they love teaching and say they don't regret a thing.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My wife has just started her teacher training through the OU, she has to do a few things to build up her points to get onto the real deal first but they have been more than helpful with advice, I would contact them first, tell them what qualifications you have and see what they suggest. If all you have is GSCEs (O Levels) and a diploma you will probably have to do a foundation degree first.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Underpaid, underappreciated, stress, 24/7 work, parents on your tail for every choice.

To name a few of the cons.

You have to accept every con and smile too, if you want to be a fitting teacher. In some jobs you can have a shitty day, but in this job, you can't let it show or effect.

Well, if you want to be a good one that is.

Chilly

Balls of steel
dont discourage him seel! tom knows lots of stuff, would probably makke a good teacher.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
dont discourage him seel! tom knows lots of stuff, would probably makke a good teacher.

Why not? He needs to know and accept the downs of the job. Too many half arsed teachers out there who didn't get told what the downsides are.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I thought (but dont know) you had to do a degree of some sort to then do the PGCE? I didn't think you could do it instead of a degree?

Sorry, bad wording. I meant do a PGCE rather than a degree in teaching. You have to have a degree (in anything) before you can do a PGCE afaik.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
dude, I would say go with what you know. eg you love history, and that will shine through in your teaching. other than that, good luck :) I once had a wish to become a chemistry teacher, nowadays I realize that I can only teach those who want to learn. Kinda glad I dodged that bullet :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't think you need a degree especially, enough diplomas and whatnot will be enough. Its points you need.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Oh I know a thing or two about stress and working hours, believe me.

So an open university course might be a good idea? It'd probably be easier for me as I have to take work when I get it, and can't really afford to turn jobs down.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
OU courses are pricey. Cheaper option would be to enrol as a part-time mature student, but as you say that might not be an option. I think it is possible to do Access courses from home.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
I'm just coming to the end of a part-time degree course. One of my fellow students is doing it for exactly the reasons you've given - so he can get a teaching job. I study 3 evenings a week october to mid-march. The workload is doable while working full-time provided you forget about your social life between october and march.

This is a good time of year to start looking for a place when uni starts up for '10-'11.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Oh I know a thing or two about stress and working hours, believe me.

So an open university course might be a good idea? It'd probably be easier for me as I have to take work when I get it, and can't really afford to turn jobs down.

You can always go to a uni as a mature student, thats what i have done, i may only have 600 quid for 4 months after accomo, but thats plenty to live off

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
A lot of schools are tightening their belts in regards to teaching assistants now.

Without a NVQ Level 2/3 you won't be considered full-stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom