Connection problems

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Hey.

OK, i am having net connection trouble. The problem is not specific to DAOC either, it can happen while i am just surfing etc.

I keep loosing connection to the internet, when it happens the ADSL light on my USB modem flashes, (the USB light stays on though)

I am told this means that sync has been lost with the ISP and the flashing is the modem trying to re-aquire it. Once the light stops flashing i try to reconnect and invariable have to try several times due to one of two specific error messages.

"Username / pasword not recognised on this domain"
"Time out error"

After three or four of these messages it finally reconects untill the next time it drops.

I cant see any pattern to these disconections, they appear to be totally random. I can go a full day with none, or sometimes get them every few mins.

My gut tells me this is a problem with BT or the ISP, but they keep telling me they can find nothing wrong. and they say the error messages on connection atempts are just the "system reseting itself" which is strange because sometimes i get the messages on the first connection attempt of the day when i get home from work.

I have done a full wipe and reinstall of windows,
Tried different modems
tried the BT test socket
Switched the ADSL filter
Switched the phone cable

none of it made any difference. My gut tells me this is not my equipment or something i am doing wrong, but i dont know enough about it all to be 100% positive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Varadero

Fledgling Freddie
When you say tried with different modems are they all USB types ?
Have you checked to make sure it's not some ugly powersave option in Windows(tm) that kicks in on the usb ports ?

my 2 cents anyhow.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
I've had similar problems, but it was to do with adsl driver problems, if you've tried many modems you might have conflicting driver issues

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
this seems to happen alot just after you have had a regrade to a higher speed, for me it tends to happen for about a week or 2. have you recently been regraded to a higher speed?

i have had 3 regrades since first getting bt adsl, and it happened every single time.

the only other time i have had your problem was 1. when i had a dodgy phone extension cable, and 2. when i had a dodgy filter...in both cases replacing these parts made everything fine, so be sure to try a different adsl filter and see if it goes away.

failing that, check any extensions, and if you have had a regrade recently im afraid you will just have to wait it out for a few weeks, and if it still doesnt go away after a few weeks, pester BT like mad, and be persistant.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Had this kind of problem with my old shitty D-Link if I was connected to e-mule...
Seemed that it couldn't keep up with all incoming connections, and after about 30 mins it died on me - resulting in resetting router and waiting for modem to sync back again.

Bought a new router and haven't had any problems since.

They say D-Link have improved, but I'm not going back anyhow :flame:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom