connection problem, please help

D

dar-k-night

I have been playing cs for a while now and it has worked fine on my 56k connection. Recently i got a new pc to replacve my old one (which was very old). although the connection is the same my average ping is now at 1000 where it was 200-350 and i get lag spikes upto 5000! my new computer runs on XP profesional whereas the old one ran on 98. please can someone tell me what is wrong?

ps. the game is up to date with all the patches

L

~Lazarus~

depends on a number of things.

What type of modem it is.
If its a software modem, its, basically, CRAP!!.

Drivers.
Are your drivers up to date ?

Is it configured correctly?

If you can tell us what type of modem, we may help better.

Also, the configuration of CS will be different (cos its a new machine) which may affect your connection.

C

Crashtje

might be a problem, but have you done your rates? seein as u reinstalled u prolly runnin on bog - standard CS settings aint u, u need to customiez ure shit etc

D

dar-k-night

its a hardware modem

yes, i configured cs fully to suit the pc

L

~Lazarus~

Basically, it could be a number of things. Hard to identify from a post on the boards.

1. Drivers.
Need to update to most recent (or most stable drivers for the modem/OS)

2. Check cabling / connection.
If its an internal modem, make sure that its firmly seated in the slot.
If its external, make sure that the connections are true.

3. Background Programs.
i know that on Windows 2000, there is a "news" program which runs in the background and severely hampers the connection (even on BB). Is the problem a regular occurence (i.e. every 5 mins or so?)
Check what programs are running BEFORE you start CS (ctrl-alt-delete). You may need to deactivate one or more programs for better stability.

4 Virus?
Have you scanned for a virus ?

5. Downloading
Are you downloadin anything during the game? Even Sprays (pldecal) can cause connectivity issues. Best to have the following variables set in config :
cl_allowdownload 0
cl_download_ingame 0
cl_allowupload 0

D

dar-k-night

there is something i forgot to mention: it is ONLY half-life and its mods which i am having problems with. other online shooters such as Raven Shield work fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom