Computer Restarting

G

glorien_

For awhile now my computer just resets on its own - and doesnt do scandisk or anything when it comes back on.

Its been happening very recently today and so i thought i might aswell ask. The times between restarts can be 2 mins - 5 hours+ - when i play daoc it doesnt restart but when im just surfing the internet it can restart very regulary.

I have thought about formatting but i thought i might ask to see if i could avoid it.

From what i can see it might be a virus - any advice? :(

G

Galiryn

it may be some hardware thats broken, try eliminating stuff ( take out something and then run the pc to see if it restarts ) abit, thats what i did when my MB died :p

C

Cloak_

Windows is set to auto turn off on a failure -
Turn this off and make a note of the blue screen to find your fault.

Do you get any cmos errors on startup ?

G

glorien_

No not normally but it does say it has "recovered from a serious error" when i look to see what it is it gives me a destination ive never seen - if it does it and i get the error message i will put it on here.

C

Cloak_

Prolly c:windows\<username>\localsetting\minidimp

Or smth similar,

If it is that, then thats just a normal log file for errors.

Have you checked your temp fail safe in bios also ?

G

glorien_

Well it is - exactly its:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\mini102203-10.demp
C:\Docume~1\<name>~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir02\sysdata.xml

G

glorien_

Also daoc has been crashing very regulary and for the first time just now my comp restarted while daoc was running :(

E

Ekydus

Is it a custom built PC?

Does it freeze before it restarts?

C

Cloak_

Originally posted by glorien_
Well it is - exactly its:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\mini102203-10.demp
C:\Docume~1\<name>~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir02\sysdata.xml

Couldnt be arsed to write this myself so a cut/paste jobby :p

"Choose Performance and Maintenance from Control Panel.

Choose System and click on the Advanced tab.

Click on the Error Reporting button.. The Error Reporting dialog box will appear.

Click on Disable Error Reporting to turn off the warning. If you'd like Error Reporting disabled, but want to be informed of dangerous system events, check the box next to But notify me when critical errors occur."

Hopefully instead of restarting itll "blue screen" giving more insight into what it is.

Last time i say this problem there was a patch to IE6 iirc

Also good to turn of and clear your system restore folder + your prefetch folder (assuming your running XP)

G

glorien_

All i did was uninstall a game and divx player from my comp (divx said it had corrupted) and my comp hasnt restarted on its own and daoc hasnt crashed....strange but good

N

Nightchill

if it continues, try taking the side of your case off. could just be overheating.

D

dracus

Could be GFX card gettin too hot, ive had that problem myself...try cleaning the fan on the card, could help.

/Dracus

G

glorien_

Well i took the side off to see if there was anything loose or that didnt look right - couldnt see anything and restarting carried on as normal and then i uninstalled 2 things and my comp has restarted only twice in 2 days now ...

Edit: Spelling

Users who are viewing this thread