Computer problems

Helme

Resident Freddy
Im lost, my old computer(or not so old as it's my current one) has sort of died on me. Was playing WoW(yeah sue me) and it crashed - this isn't unusual, CPU overheating in the spring warmth etc. anyways, I reboot and the computer gets to the Windows logo then just reboots, I think well no problems etc. and lets it go again, had it on over the night and it just kept rebooting.

Decided to google and see if someone else had a similar error, turns out it can do this with a damaged ntfs.sys file(apparently, sudden restart/crash of windows can damage the filesystem) so I try the HDD in another computer, and rightly so it crashes. I think no biggie, was just a shitty 30gb hdd i'll just make a paritition on my 160gb spare hdd and install windows on that. Works out great, until I start loading windows on this one aswell - no reboot but it says that the HDD controller might be damaged, now im strarting to get slightly pissed off so I grab the HDD - install it in an old computer and lo and behold, Windows XP fresh install working flawlessly.

Now, anyone got any idea how to sort this? Im not really that inexperienced with computers just the nature of this error is annoying to say the least - im not that fussed about the data or the computer HAS to be fixed(ordered a new one anyways) but it would be nice to get it going again so I could use it as server or something.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Sounds to me like you have a virus. Had a similar problem a while back, try using your windows OS disk and then sort it from there via taking the repair option, else you are going to have to break the boot via F8 and try a mode that will work so it safely loads and that does mean even in DOS mode as you may have to format the drive.

Another way is just getting a new/used hard drive, booting from your windows disk and then installing a copy of windows on that drive. Then adding the first drive to another IDE cable and seeing what seems to be the problem. My guess is, either way you try it you are likely to find a virus that interrupts the boot process because it's lodged itself in the boot records of the drive, contaminating the boot process and resulting in what you have currently - a knackered OS :)

Helme

Resident Freddy
Tried a fresh install, repair tool etc. multiple times now and to no success.

The funny thing really is that it boots with no problems at all in another computer(from this HDD) but as soon as I put it in my 'new' one, it doesn't boot at all(bluescreen etc.)

Also, yeah virus scanned it and didn't pick anything up :(

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Tried a fresh install, repair tool etc. multiple times now and to no success.

The funny thing really is that it boots with no problems at all in another computer(from this HDD) but as soon as I put it in my 'new' one, it doesn't boot at all(bluescreen etc.)

Also, yeah virus scanned it and didn't pick anything up :(

Perhaps flashing the BIOS on the board will fix it, or setting the BIOS up in the menu. Can't really say without getting more info but to me i'd set up another drive and then install a new windows on that problem computer and then see if it boots on that computer. If not then there is a greater problem at hand, if it does then try install a new windows as a secondary OS on the problem drive and then see if that boots. If it does then just set the boot menu to that drive and it should be fine, even if you take the first drive out and ofc setting it to the master drive via it's hardware switches :)

Helme

Resident Freddy
Tried installing on other HDD's without much luck, trying to find the instruction manual to the motherboard at the moment to flash it, i'll return after im done.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
failing a BIOS flash then the board is dead, buy a new board. Btw boards can work ie with fans etc and still be dead just fyi. Seen quite a few of those last year after ordering them off Ebay. It happens :(

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
failing a BIOS flash then the board is dead, buy a new board. Btw boards can work ie with fans etc and still be dead just fyi. Seen quite a few of those last year after ordering them off Ebay. It happens :(

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Check Windows' log file for the error (Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Log -> System iirc, using Finnish OS atm so can't check it ;p).

Did that crashing just start all of sudden or have you installed new hardware in it recently? If your PC have worked fine and you haven't installed any new hardware in it there is no chance that BIOS would have something do with crashing :S

Helme

Resident Freddy
It started all of sudden after an CPU overheat followed by the auto-turn off. Then I could boot the computer up to Windows again with no problems, and after 1-2 minutes it died again. This time, I never even got into Windows and the problems I previously stated started appearing.

Tried a Bios flash, and no change.

A broken motherboard I however doubt, as that would mean I probably could't even get to the Windows loading screen to get the BSOD. However im starting to believe it has something to do with faulty IDE cables(or maybe even slightly damaged sockets, remember an old computer had similar problems and it turned out that the mobo was glichty unless you applied pressure to a certain point).

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
What was the error in BSOD btw? Run memtest to stress your PC a bit and perhaps increase CPU/memory voltage a little (if possible).

PC crashing due to overheat shouldn't be considered as "usual" thing tbh :p

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
What was the error in BSOD btw? Run memtest to stress your PC a bit and perhaps increase CPU/memory voltage a little (if possible).

PC crashing due to overheat shouldn't be considered as "usual" thing tbh :p

Usually it is the first sign something is going to die on his comp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom