Computer problems.. random wierdness

Salteh

Fledgling Freddie
Hiho!

My uncle had me upgrade a duron 800 / old mobo / mem, which he managed to destroy using his magic hands + static electricity. So I put the new cpu / mobo / gfx card / mem in today, tried to boot the computer..

about 80% of the time it powers on "fine", but there's no VGA output, keyboard / mouse don't seem to respond either..

20% of the time it manages to output something to the screen, POST, BIOS, winXP starting up, even the windows login screen. Keyboard / mouse do get their USB power, but windows seems to ignore them.
------------------

When I fiddled with a bit it was even possible to let it boot to the winXP login screen, see that mouse/keyb don't work, reboot and get VGA output again!! a few times in a row.. until I moved the USB keyboard to the PS/2 port. Then it refused to display anything at all again..

-------------------------------------------------------

Specs : sempron 2400+, ASRock K7VT4A+, pc2700 mem, Geforce mx40000, 300W PSU.
It doesn't beep at all, the graphics card is working fine( tested in other machine ). Taking out the mem or disconnecting the drives doesn't help either :x

This is quite annoying, because it is capable of booting & giving a VGA output signal.. but seems to refuse to do so most of the time. The mobo's box was semi-dented, but doesn't look like anything a mobo would not survive. When I managed to get in the bios, CPU temp was 38C..

So...

any help / hints / advice ? :)

-Salteh-

Salteh

Fledgling Freddie
Fixed.. wibbling wobbles the mobo's battery seems to have revived it :eek:

Salteh

Fledgling Freddie
muahah!

:flame: Thread resurrection!! :flame:

After 1.5 months of booting up OK.. it died again.

Sometimes it'd not give POST/VGA output, but pressing reset always 'fixed' that. It also sometimes 'froze/hang'( windows ). Windows was still visible on screen, but screen froze, mouse/keyb died.

Now it doesn't POST at all anymore..
No beeps, no nothing.
Just fans powering on and the hdd spinning up ;o

Thought it might be the PSU, so connected my own PSU to the mobo.. still nothing.

Help! ;)
-SaltehBallehBooh-
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom