Computer locks up playing music

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
For the past month or so whilst playing music in Windows Media Player, my computer has been randomly locking up. The screen just freezes in place, and I can't move the mouse. My only option is to press the restart button. I'm not entirely sure what Sound thingy I have but here is my dxdiag thing.

soundge4.jpg

What do I need to update to fix it? Cheers

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Could you go to Event Viewer (Control Panel>Administrative Tools) and look in the system subsection. It's sorted by time so look for the events nearest the time it crashed - you should see an error event.

If you do, paste it here and I'll check it out for you - I've not got much to do at work today :D

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
There doesn't appear to be any crash errors recently which is strange because I know for a fact it happened an hour ago, and also at about 4am when I was asleep, because when I woke up it was frozen and the clock said about 4:15am. :(

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9231/eventviewersr5.jpg

Next time it happens I'll check straight afterwards. It should be any time soon. :(

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Does it do it on another media player? Try VLC and see if it happens on that, or maybe try Media Player Classic if you can find it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's an eerily clean event log you've got there. Might be worth checking the application log too. If there's nothing there, could be a hardware fault. Software problems really should show up in the event viewer.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
There are a few bits in Application...most of them are related to game crashes, but I'm not sure what this one is.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
Date: 10/13/2006
Time: 08:34:19
User: N/A
Computer: BILLY-E73D809E
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

(quite alot of those)

----

I'll download Winamp and try that for a while, although I quite like WMP. :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd suggest you reinstall WMP, I do it when it gets a bit "quirky" and things normally seem to settle down.

What format music files are you playing?
Have you twiddled with the codecs recently?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, did you try what trem suggested? Does it happen in any other players?

Also, just out of interest, why do you use WMP for your music - it's awful :\

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I've moved over to Foobar now so I'll see how this goes. It's definitely alot less clutter, and easier to use...so I hope it goes smoothly. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom