Computer lag problems

X

Xeanor

The other forum isn't being read, so I'll just post it here:

I have some serious lag ingame, and I mean fps lag, not a bad connection (I have a decent cable connection).

As soon as anything comes into my "clipping range", it lags. My screen gets a little shock. Now if this is a full group, my screen just freezes, and if we meet this group head on, by the time I can move again I've already walked right through the other group, getting ganked by whatever tanks they have.

I just don't get it, I have a decent PC and it wasn't even this bad with my old one. I run the SI client and play on 1152x864, no Anti-Aliasing or anything is activated, and yet it still goes slow.

My comp is:

P4 2000Mhz
512MB PC800 RDRAM
Radeon 8500 Pro 64MB
120GB 7200RPM HDD

Is my resolution too high? I know someone with virtually the same PC and he plays on 1600x1200 :(

It's just awful, as a mezzer I can't get any more mezzes off lately, my screen just freezes and I walk right into the other group.

Any help is very much appreciated.

-Xeanor

G

Gamah

lower rez to 1024xwhat ever i have pretty much the same spec pc and its fine!

B

Belsameth

your video ram seems a bit low, but besides that it seems fine.
the DAoC engine remains a poor one tho, and the system that runs it flawless has yet to be invented

have you tried fiddling with settings like shadows and such?

X

Xeanor

Originally posted by Belsameth
your video ram seems a bit low, but besides that it seems fine.
the DAoC engine remains a poor one tho, and the system that runs it flawless has yet to be invented

have you tried fiddling with settings like shadows and such?
64MB video ram should be perfectly fine for DAoC.

I've disabled all the shadows, still not better :/

S

Shike

hmm i run windowed with desktop at 1152x864 and daoc in 1024x768 on a similar system, runs just fine. I can run 1600x1200 if i want but i rather not do it on my 19".

Check swapfilesettings, antivirussettings, update or downgrade drivers, do u run powerstrip or some other 2nd hand software for screensettings etc. Do a full search on your system because it aint the hardware in your PC that causes this, its some softwareproblem to 99% I think. If you dont find it, do a full reinstall of the system and leave out all rubbish u actually dont need. Loads of ppl have lots of programs that lie in the background and causes havoc and never realize it.

I aint sayin u are some PCn00b or something, i just point out what I usually do when i run into problems. Last time I had probs with daoc it was due to some proggie I used to change gammasettings. Removed it and it runs fine now. Can be that simple.

GL

X

Xeanor

Originally posted by Shike
hmm i run windowed with desktop at 1152x864 and daoc in 1024x768 on a similar system, runs just fine. I can run 1600x1200 if i want but i rather not do it on my 19".

Check swapfilesettings, antivirussettings, update or downgrade drivers, do u run powerstrip or some other 2nd hand software for screensettings etc. Do a full search on your system because it aint the hardware in your PC that causes this, its some softwareproblem to 99% I think. If you dont find it, do a full reinstall of the system and leave out all rubbish u actually dont need. Loads of ppl have lots of programs that lie in the background and causes havoc and never realize it.

I aint sayin u are some PCn00b or something, i just point out what I usually do when i run into problems. Last time I had probs with daoc it was due to some proggie I used to change gammasettings. Removed it and it runs fine now. Can be that simple.

GL

-I have a 10gb swapfile on my 2nd HDD
-No active antivirusscanner
-Newest driver, older ones have the same
-This system was reinstalled 3 weeks ago
-No programs in the background

O

old.moriath

hmmm new pc ??

Are you sure the hdd are running on the right dma setting and not being lowered to dma 33 by a cd rom or dvd drive on the same channel

or make sure they are using dma at all ..

poi mode i think it can default to if your not careful and the performance is crap with that .

Had that prob when built my own pc a while back on via chipset

X

Xeanor

Originally posted by old.moriath
hmmm new pc ??

Are you sure the hdd are running on the right dma setting and not being lowered to dma 33 by a cd rom or dvd drive on the same channel

or make sure they are using dma at all ..

poi mode i think it can default to if your not careful and the performance is crap with that .

Had that prob when built my own pc a while back on via chipset

HDD score is perfect with a benchmarking prog.

O

old.Hardbein

Originally posted by Xeanor
-I have a 10gb swapfile on my 2nd HDD

With 512MB ram...optimal swapfile is 1,5xRam=768MB, u might wanna make it 1GB at max.
10GB swap is overkill imo. Its killing ur system.

U say this swap file is on 2nd HD. What kinda HD? R both these HD's on the same IDE channel?

X

Xeanor

Originally posted by old.Hardbein
U say this swap file is on 2nd HD. What kinda HD? R both these HD's on the same IDE channel?

40GB 5400RPM HDD

yup

S

speshneeds

tbh put your swapfile back on your main drive. your swap is on a slower drive so worse, plus its on same ide channel so there will be 0 benifit anyway.

What chipset is your mobo? if its intel and you dont have the inf_inst installed then its gonna run like a sack of shite. assume the same with sis chipsets etc too

X

Xeanor

Originally posted by speshneeds
tbh put your swapfile back on your main drive. your swap is on a slower drive so worse, plus its on same ide channel so there will be 0 benifit anyway.

What chipset is your mobo? if its intel and you dont have the inf_inst installed then its gonna run like a sack of shite. assume the same with sis chipsets etc too

The swapfile is on another HDD so it doesn't defragment my main HDD shitloads.

I have a i850E chipset, and yes i have the newest inf_inst installed.

I've put the swapfile to "System managed size" now.

O

Ogrelin

The new MSN-messenger makes my DaoC lagg alot...turn it of if u use it.

X

Xeanor

Going to test it now.

And if it doesn't improve I'm gonna try the MSN messenger thing too.

O

old.Hardbein

Originally posted by Xeanor
Going to test it now.

TIP: hook up with "teh alb zerg©" <<< best test environment for lag issues :p

X

Xeanor

Seems to be going a lot better now.

Changed the swapfile, turned off some texture and mipmap stuff, and loaded a profile in Radeonator that configured my Radeon so it would be as fast as possible in 3DMark2001. :) (which will probably make daoc faster too)

It's going smooth again, :)

Thanks for the replies.

-Xeanor

Users who are viewing this thread