Composite doors

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Has anyone here had either a Yale or a Rockwood composite door fitted to their property?

Those are my two preferred solutions, I just wanted to know if there was much difference between them.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Has anyone here had either a Yale or a Rockwood composite door fitted to their property?

Those are my two preferred solutions, I just wanted to know if there was much difference between them.

Do you mean Rockdoor?, if so then I would avoid, we have fitted about 5 of them at customers request as we don't use them ourselves, and everyone we have had to get replaced as its developed a fault, and they are very expensive for what they are.

If you want a decent composite door you should be looking at a solid core as apposed to a foam injected/filled one. There is a company called Rocal www.rocal.co.uk that do the solid core and there the ones we fit, but the foam filled are ok and we do use a company called Door-Stop who are very good value and do a decent range too.

I have just looked at the Yale door builder website and basically the range and styles are the same as the Door-stop, so I wouldn't be surprised if they make them for Yale

http://www.door-stop-doors.co.uk/

You can chose Yale locking which is 'Secure by Design' this is a joint Police insurance tie in, they recommend this lock, but to be honest all the current locking systems have to meet a certain criteria and are all as good as each other

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Do you mean Rockdoor?, if so then I would avoid, we have fitted about 5 of them at customers request as we don't use them ourselves, and everyone we have had to get replaced as its developed a fault, and they are very expensive for what they are.

If you want a decent composite door you should be looking at a solid core as apposed to a foam injected/filled one. There is a company called Rocal www.rocal.co.uk that do the solid core and there the ones we fit, but the foam filled are ok and we do use a company called Door-Stop who are very good value and do a decent range too.

I have just looked at the Yale door builder website and basically the range and styles are the same as the Door-stop, so I wouldn't be surprised if they make them for Yale

http://www.door-stop-doors.co.uk/

You can chose Yale locking which is 'Secure by Design' this is a joint Police insurance tie in, they recommend this lock, but to be honest all the current locking systems have to meet a certain criteria and are all as good as each other

The annoying thing about internet searches is they always turn up an equal amount of "they're shit" and "they're brilliant", usually from people who don't know what a shit or brilliant door is. So it's nice to get feedback from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Basically, I'm after a nice, solid long-lasting door that's very secure and which also is well insulated. It also has to have a catflap (so much for insulation, lol).

What faults have you experienced with the rockdoors?

Edmond

When they foam inject the doors they sometimes trap air in them, the problem we've had is that the surface of the doors 'egg' basically where the trapped air makes the door lift away from the foam and creates a raised area on the door, and as I say, they are expensive for what they are, and I've only ever seen this on a Rockdoor door.

There is a another company called Solidoor, which I've heard good things about although I've never fitted one there doors.

As for a cat flap, the bottoms of the doors have deep mouldings, and a cat flap wouldn't sit flush. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but it's a easy way to ruin an expensive door.

I think the door-stop ones are the best value, and I think they are the same as the Yale ones

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well I entered my details into the Rockdoor website yesterday and still nobody has contacted me, so bollocks to them. And searching for Yale results in a long list of disgruntled customers, mainly down to poor customer service.

I'll check out Solidoor, thanks. They have a solid timber core. A catflap is non-negotiable I'm afraid.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I found a local installer who's coming around tomorrow to survey for a Solidoor. In the end, it can't be worse than the door I have now... Cheers Edmond.

The funny thing is, the front door (it's the back door I'm replacing) is over 100 years old and still works just fine :) I bet this lot don't offer a 100-year guarantee though...

Edmond

I found a local installer who's coming around tomorrow to survey for a Solidoor. In the end, it can't be worse than the door I have now... Cheers Edmond.

The funny thing is, the front door (it's the back door I'm replacing) is over 100 years old and still works just fine :) I bet this lot don't offer a 100-year guarantee though...

No probs, happy to help. I'd give you a 100yr guarantee if I did it, but you're a bit out of my area

sayward

Resident Freddy
can't read this. Had to have a new front door fitted as soon as we moved in as handle was falling off and fitted back to front. No idea what we have. Just know it was bloody expensive with some complicated lock.

georgie

FH is my second home
The annoying thing about internet searches is they always turn up an equal amount of "they're shit" and "they're brilliant", usually from people who don't know what a shit or brilliant door is. So it's nice to get feedback from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Aye, it is. And until they show up we got @Edmond . :D

:love:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No probs, happy to help. I'd give you a 100yr guarantee if I did it, but you're a bit out of my area

£975 fitted for a stable door with manual catflap, can't complain about that. My neighbour has the stable door so it'll match quite well. Plus the other doors have mouldings that preclude the use of a cat flap. This door also has a huge window, which is important for light at the back of the house.

Edmond

£975 fitted for a stable door with manual catflap, can't complain about that. My neighbour has the stable door so it'll match quite well. Plus the other doors have mouldings that preclude the use of a cat flap. This door also has a huge window, which is important for light at the back of the house.

Excellent, that's a good price, especially for a stable composite door

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bloke did a nice, clean job. Took about 3.5 hours. I'm no expert but it all looks good to me. The sliding frame lock on the lower half (not the bolt you can see) is slightly sticky but I suspect that's more to do with the design than any installation problems.

The cat is very, very confused. Apparently a catflap that looks exactly like the old one is no longer a viable means of entry/exit. She's currently sat outside making a racket. And yes, the shitty step outside is another "pending job".

DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0024.JPG DSC_0025.JPG

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
That's a door.

That's a nice door.

I hope it opens may gateways for your personage.

Infact, probably opens one gate way to be honest.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
nice doors dude. your house is going to be so frikkin awesome when you're done!

Edmond

Bloke did a nice, clean job. Took about 3.5 hours. I'm no expert but it all looks good to me. The sliding frame lock on the lower half (not the bolt you can see) is slightly sticky but I suspect that's more to do with the design than any installation problems.

The cat is very, very confused. Apparently a catflap that looks exactly like the old one is no longer a viable means of entry/exit. She's currently sat outside making a racket. And yes, the shitty step outside is another "pending job".

View attachment 20117 View attachment 20118 View attachment 20119 View attachment 20120

Looks very nice @Tom, the sticky lock is usually because of the new rubber seal between the top and bottom slabs, it takes a while to seat itself, so the 2 sections don't quite line up at first with out a bit of a tweak when it comes to locking them together

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom