Completely random idea for a new DAOC ability...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Inspired in part by using the Warlord Cowering Bellow ability yesterday to make an Underhill Companion bugger off...I got to thinking about the logical extension of this, something like a Sever The Tether that would work on enemy players.

Apostasy - 10 seconds' duration. The targetted player will turn on his nearest realm-mate and attack them for the duration of the spell using unstyled attacks. If that player is killed by this attack, they will automatically target their next realm-mate and continue.

This spell would be at level 50 in one spec line of one of each realm's casters. I would suggest (these just seem to fit with the idea behind the spell, and would add something to less-used speclines):

Mentalist, in the Illusions (duh) line
Runemaster, in the Suppression line
Sorceror, in the Telekinesis line

Would be curable by the primary healer of each realm in the same way that mez is curable.

One possible variation would be some kind of feedback spell, which if successful in curing the afflicted player would make the caster of the original Apostasy spell turn on their group in the same way. This 'bounced' Apostasy would not be curable.

...discuss...

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I think Mythic stated way back that they didnt want "mindcontrol" abilities in the game as they felt that players should not take involontary actions. The most they felt was appropriate was the current system with no-action effects such as mezz/stun/root etc.

Personaly i feel the cc side of the game is already pretty overrepresented and we dont need any more of it, but thats just me :)

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Inspired in part by using the Warlord Cowering Bellow ability yesterday to make an Underhill Companion bugger off...I got to thinking about the logical extension of this, something like a Sever The Tether that would work on enemy players.

Apostasy - 10 seconds' duration. The targetted player will turn on his nearest realm-mate and attack them for the duration of the spell using unstyled attacks. If that player is killed by this attack, they will automatically target their next realm-mate and continue.

This spell would be at level 50 in one spec line of one of each realm's casters. I would suggest (these just seem to fit with the idea behind the spell, and would add something to less-used speclines):

Mentalist, in the Illusions (duh) line
Runemaster, in the Suppression line
Sorceror, in the Telekinesis line

Would be curable by the primary healer of each realm in the same way that mez is curable.

One possible variation would be some kind of feedback spell, which if successful in curing the afflicted player would make the caster of the original Apostasy spell turn on their group in the same way. This 'bounced' Apostasy would not be curable.

...discuss...
It's a great idea, but it should affect enemy controlled pets rather than enemy players imo. :D

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Dr_Evil said:
It's a great idea, but it should affect enemy controlled pets rather than enemy players imo. :D

Yeah, that would work.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
well if that existed i would just run around on my ment pwning everything because they wouldnt be able to hit me. pets yes, players no

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
I don't think there would be any sorcerer willing to spec 50 Matter for that...Would gimp their crowd control and damage abbilities a lot. I don't think any group would take a 50 matter sorc in their group just for this lone abbility. It could maybe be put in a more common specline, like mind, but put on some reuse timer so they can't spam it on every target.

and btw, I think you mean the "mind mastery" line on Mentalists? Illusion (light) is commonly specced...Otherwise I don't get the "duh" :p

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
If anyone should get new abilities like this, it should be the characters who currently are lacking in very useful abilities, ( wizards, valkyries, underused hib-class ( I don't know which one, I don't play hib all that much ))

You could call it Molten Mind for wizards, ( Heat induced fever making you delirious (sp?))
Valkyrie's Order for Valkyries ( The gods twisting the mind of the player ( but I'd rather see it affect pets))
And something for dem hibbies as well.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Abilities that forces a player to do something should really be kept at a minimum. Forceful Zephyr is the only one (apart from the "stop doing anything" CC spells). And ... FZ is just piss annoying. :)

But great idea if it only affects pets. Let us make it a chance that the pet will turn on it's masters. Let us give it to runemasters in the suppression spec line, to bards in their music spec line and to sorcerers in their mind baseline.

Or, we could just use the confusion spells then. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom