Compatibility Testing: Pure CSS Menus

J

Jonty

Hi guys

Just wondered if you could help me out with some compatibility testing with something I started coding this morning. Basically it's a drop-down menu, as you've no doubt seen a thousand times before. Except this one functions via pure CSS, hence no scripting whatsoever!

Basically, all I would like you to do is go to this sample page. Pass your mouse over the menu at the top and see what happens (if it works, a menu should appear). Then just reply to this thread stating your operating system, browser name and version and what you experienced (i.e. Windows ME, IE5.5, Doesn't work!).

I know for a fact that Internet Explorer on Windows cannot render the menus, although Mozilla and Opera can. What I'm specifically interested in is it's performance in non-XP systems, including Linux and Mac (basically I don't want to install Linux and I refuse to buy a Mac just for testing (and posing :p)!).

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your time, and any help and comments will be most welcome.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Like I say, these menus have been created in but a few hours from scratch, so there is a lot of room for improvement!

J

Jonty

Replying to my own thread, tsch!?

Windows XP SP1 . . .
  • Mozilla 1.3 - Perfect :)
  • Opera 7.03 - Functional, although somewhat slow, header text turns black when the menu is still active
  • IE6 SP1 - Header menu renders, but not the drop downs
Kind Regards

M

mookie

XP, sp1 - phoenix 0.5
works perfect

lovely menus btw jonty :)

W

Will

2K, SP3

Phoenix 0.5 - perfect
IE6 - headers, no dropdowns

U

[UKLans]Khan

Windows NT 4 (SP6)

- Mozilla 1.3b - Menu works fine (Looks v.nice)

- IE 6.SP1 - Shows menu, but no drop down.

Many thanks,

Khan

J

Jonty

Thanks Khan and Will, you are truly kings among men, or something :D

T

Testin da Cable

none of it works with the stuff I use at work. it's all customised programs and os, ie5 and nt4. from home I couldn't tell, as I'm pootaless atm :)

L

~Lazarus~

Windows 2000 SP2
Version 5.50

Disnae wurk :eek6:

Gor the File / Edit / Help appearing, but no dropdown menu appears.

*waits for fluffles*

J

Jonty

Thanks for the update TdC :D Just out of curiousity, when you say 'none of it works', do the headers ('File' etc) still show up?

And thanks also to ~Lazarus~, although I'm not too sure what *fluffles* are :D Sounds sweet and cuddly, whatever the case :)

I do appreciate you all taking the time - thank you! merci! danke! dank je! igamsiqanaghhalek!

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

oh, aye. sorry. I do get the headers, and when I mouseover IE suddenly seems to pause, but there's no visible effect.

S

Shocko

The menu closes to quickly. The normal speed i would move down to it, resorts in it closing before the cursor crosses the small gap inbetween the things at the top, and where the dropdown menu starts. If i move the mouse quickly, i can get there ok, and it works fine, but that might annoy people...

Mozilla 1.21 on linux, btw.

It's not a huge problem, but if there's a way to prevent this(eliminate that gap?), then maybe that's something you could improve?

J

Jonty

Thanks Shocko

As you say, this problem can be eliminated by ensuring the dropdowns and headers are in close proximity. I believe the rendering code regarding margins and padding is slightly different on Windows builds than on Linux, hence the problems (quite why, however, I have no idea). Thanks for letting me know, though, you're a star :great:

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread