Comp reboots

E

eneq

Comp reboots when im playing DAOC. Sometimes i can only b in 2 secs before reboot sometimes i can play for max 4-5 min.

I have re-installed the Graphic card adn tried to fix the memory as it says unde rRightnow,
But nithing works..
Playing on a p4 2.0 with 512 ram and win 98

Trying to re-install directX but not sure if i suceeded.

I just install directX again ..is that the right way or do i need to uninstall it somehow ?
And if yes how ?

D

Deadmanwalking

You cant uninstall Directx as it only change between versions.

Does your comp just reboot straight off? or do you BSOD or similar?

More details the better ta :)

F

frogster

You also dont mention the gfx card make or whether this only happens in DAoC

E

eneq

well i dont get any msg whatsoever. Just logon run around 2-40 secs then comp reboots.

Yes it happens when i try to play MAX PAYNE 2 also..
Geforce 4600 TI 128
Win 98
512 ram

The funny part is that when i try to Scandisk it reboots also.
If it dont reboot when trying to ScanDisk its say error adn when i try to open Scandisk again it says Explorer made an error and i have to reboot :(

D

Deadmanwalking

What do the awful :p windows 98 logs say?

Also as it is happening in Scandisk and Max Payne 2, i would guess at Driver errors or overheating/psu.

E

eneq

was fooling around little and was thinkimg it maybe was a memory error so i checked the virtuell memory settings and was thinking setting a fixed number.

I then discovered it was a negative number o_O
i had -9154 mb left..
'
But on C: it stated i used 60 out of 120 GB..

So i deleted a couple of movies so the number got positive again...and NOW IT WORKS....

dunno how VM can think im out of memory when there is over 50 GB left on harddrive...

C

chretien

because it won't use all of that 50MB, it'll use however much of it Windows tells it to.

C

chretien

I know he did but I'm blond and ill so I'm allowed to get confused.

I remember my old 2mb Amiga 1200 and wondering what on earth would ever need that sort of space...

O

old.job

If it's any help my win98 pc was rebooting every 30-90 mins, wether in game or just idle, after months of it I finally ran msconfig from the run box, there was loads of weird crap in there starting up and running in the background, I searched them all out on the net and removed the one's that were botware/spyware, my pc is now totally stable :)

B

boni_ofdavoid

Try a virus check, some of the more recent viruses give random reboots.

What PSU do you have? Not enough power can cause that type of problem. Get a 400w+

If none of these work then I strongly advise upgrading to WinXP, 98 is 5 years old now and its a bloody miracle if anything 5 years old works in computing ;)

Users who are viewing this thread