Help comp prob

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
past few days iv been having some prob with my computer maily while playing games and sometimes while watching dvd's

issue is when im playing a game after 5-10 mins it will boot me stright out with no error just cuts stright back to windows.

now iv updated grapic drivers reseated it and made sure its getting enough power to the card but still getting the same prob

my other theory is that the power supply is on its way out but havnt tested it

any help be cool

Bob007

Prince Among Men
OS ? Sys specs ?

Anything in Event Viewer ? (click start, right click My Computer(xp) or Computer(Vista) and click manage. Open event viewer). Check Aplication list for problems.

Had any hardware upgrades done recently ?

Try reducing power useage. turn off (unplug)unused devices. (dvd drives, extra HDD's) See if it gets worse/better.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Helping him out on IRC currently but for more input for his benefit:

AMD 64 3000
512mb RAM
Geforce 6800GT
Windows XP

Graphics & other drivers updated, card physically reseated.
PC formatted & reinstalled from scratch.

Happens in any game he tries, I've just asked him to disable his (onboard) sound card through the bios to eliminate that as a problem.

As power supply problems more often than not bluescreen or crash in slightly more severe manners (hard freeze, resets, complete dumps) I'm otherwise thinking the graphics card might be iffy - a lot of the older yet beefy cards are starting to show weakness currently, certainly a lot of 6800, 7900 cards etc. Not seeing this too often with ATI though, oddly enough - some build quality differences perhaps?

Anyway, he has access to more kit through work and will be testing graphics card & power supply & other hardware in his system. Crossing fingers, hopefully something simple.

Could well be memory though, as an afterthought, so memtest86 overnight may be a worthwhile job.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Agree on PSU. Should bsod. Thought I'd throw somit in tho just in case. Poke around event viewer tho. Might point something out.

1 say i should poke this "irc" thing again :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye you should, you know where it is : #freddyshouse all the way baby :)

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
will take pc to work tomorrow and will do some swaping in and out kit will keep you posted.

thanks for help so far.

disabling sound didnt solve owt.

looked in event viewer nothing in there

will do the mem test over night

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Overheating? its been quite hot the last few days, computer don't like the heat.. my pc is ambient is around 47-9 during the day at the moment, need to get "another" case fan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom