common cold

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Im bunged up to the head with the cold.

Anyone got any remedies which work?

Went to run myself a hot bath but left the hot tap on too long and it ran cold :(

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
One of my favourite things to do when like that is albas oil, in a bowl of boiling water with a towel over your head and just sit and breathe for 15 minutes, it hurts to start with but cleans you out like a good un :D

granny

Fledgling Freddie
If you treat a cold perfectly, dose yourself with the best remedies available and obey all the advice modern medicine has to offer you can get rid of the cold in 7 days.

However if you completely ignore it and do absolutley nothing it can last as long as a week :(

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
No remedies, but just so you don't feel alone - I've spent the whole week like that too. Made worse by some fuckhead setting off the fire alarm at 4am Wednesday morning, sending us out in the freezing cold. I threw some extra clothes on before the siren-induced headache got too much, but given that I physically puked when I got back in again and was properly shivering* I imagine it didn't do me the world of good. (*When your jaw shakes so much you feel stupid and are in cold-caused-pain at the same time but can't stop).

Stay in bed - that was my remedy :)

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Have a blonde Swedish girl rub Vicks Vapour Rub all over your body, or just put some on your chest and nose.

itcheh

Part of the furniture
http://www.olbas.com/olbasoil.htm

Just go to Boots and ask for some - it's like magic in a bottle - and great if you can't sleep 'cos you're bunged up - just a few drops on your pillow and you're nasal passages will be clearer than ferrets fart

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Brynn said:
Im bunged up to the head with the cold.

Anyone got any remedies which work?

Went to run myself a hot bath but left the hot tap on too long and it ran cold :(

Menthol crystals (again from a chemist like Boots) - dead cheap too.

Sprinkle a pinch of crystals into a cup/bowl of freshly boiled water, inhale, and hey-presto....your olfactory cavities will be functioning again (for a while)...

General advice: Stay away from all dairy products - they promote the manufacturing of mucus - and drink plenty of water...

:(

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I dont believe it makes any difference what you do when you have a cold (apart from temporarily relieve the symptoms by taking things like Lemsip or something)

It will go when it goes.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Just ran a bath - was pissing stone cold. So im sitting in 2 towels and a dressing gown to keep warm will the imersion heater kicks back in to heat more water up

Nerf

Tom

I am a FH squatter
bwahahahhah my combi-boiler owns ur immersion heater! Baths in 3 minutes! BWAHAHAHHA!!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Wank the cold out of your system, works a treat but you get black rings around your todger.

Athan

Resident Freddy
granny said:
If you treat a cold perfectly...get rid of the cold in 7 days.

However if you completely ignore it and do absolutley nothing it can last as long as a week :(

Soooo, world of difference in the time you'll have it for then :p.

In my experience, if you feel a cold coming on it's time to start dosing yourself up with Vitamin C. I usually go for some sort of fruit juice for this.

Once you HAVE the cold, it's too late. Remember what we think of as the cold is just the body's reaction to whatever virus it is that's invaded your body. All the gunk from your nose is the body trying to flush it out (and stop more coming in). A sore throat is defences going a bit haywire in the throat, a cough is the same thing with the lungs. Basically what we think of a cold is just symptoms.

The best thing you can do is bolster the body's defences beforehand if you spot it soon enough.

-Ath

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
The pain in your throat is the bodys immune system blitzing the whole area where a virus was/is. It's first reaction is to kill everything around that area, healthy cells and all. So that is what causes the pain.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
It doesn't help that the bunged nose has you breathing through your mouth all the time, making your throat more dry and vulnerable to infection.

A (very) brief respite from the clogged feeling is to hold your nose, and blow until your ears nearly pop. It clears your nostrils for a few seconds, giving you that blissful couple of inhales and making it easier to blow your nose, if you're quick.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its amazing how many people get confused about colds:

"Put your coat on, you'll catch a cold!"

"oooo I feel awful, I've got flu. I'll be better tomorrow."

Colds are about the only time I ever get ill. I get them about every 3-4 months, they last about a week, and thats it. The worst thing is trying to get to sleep with a nose full of mucus.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Deadmanwalking said:
You also live alone....

ziing.gif

SilverHood

FH is my second home
When I get a cold, I take LemSip tabs - they clear your throat, and generally make you feel a lto better.

Then the cold goes away

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom