Comics

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been doing a bit of writing the last few days, on the subject of Eagle, the seminal 1950s comic which featured Dan Dare. Its been extremely frustrating as good, reliable sources on British comics are practically non-existent. I love Eagle, and one day I will have my own copy of the first issue (good ones go for up to a grand).

As a child, I read the Beano and Dandy, and before I lost interest in comics altogether, the reissued Eagle (from 1982, the old one stopped in 1969).

What comics did you guys read, and what fond memories (if any) do you have of them? I loved the comics I read.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I was a big 2000AD man, used to pick up every issue. Loved Strontium Dog and Rogue Trooper, and the artwork of people like Brian Bolland.

2000ad really led me to getting into Marvel comics like The Defenders and from their to Neil Gaimans Sandman stories (that are just perfection) and some of the other short issue stuff from other publishers like The Preacher and The Goddess.

Ive still got them all stacked up on the bottom shelves of the bookcase next to my pc actually, I can feel them calling out to me even now :)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm like Shagrat. I used to get 2000AD every week from prog 490 through to 770, as well as the Best of 2000AD monthly collections.
My personal favourites were:
  • The "Oz" storyline of Judge Dredd
  • "The Horned God" storyline of Slaine
  • Strontium Dog introduced the idea of using time as a weapon
  • "Phase 3" of Zenith.
    2000ad_zenith.jpg
Where do you think my nick came from? :)

I also follow the artwork and stories of Joseph M Linsner. His main character is "Dawn" and I think it's obvious just why she's so popular.
She's not just a pretty body, she can travel between Heaven and Hell and everywhere in between because she's the goddess of birth and rebirth.
Chains around one wrist for discipline, roses around the other wrist for passion.
dnb_55.jpg

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
I can remember reading Beano, the occasional Dandy and Commando comics mainly. Never really got into 2000AD until much much later when the collected stories were released in novel form.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Coincidentally, 2000AD contained a Dan dare story, albeit very far removed from the original version as created by Frank hampson (you should check out his artwork, its awesome).

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I used to buy those smaller American comics like Spiderman and Thor and that. This would be in the mid seventies I suppose.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
The Beano, 2000AD briefly and then I remember getting a Transformers comic for a short while. I quickly moved onto computer magazines when I started getting into computers (I had a Commodore 64 from age 4 then onto the Commodore Amiga at age 10).

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I got The Beano every week and sometimes the annual Beano in hard cover too.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I started out with Beano, Dandy, Whizzer & Chips, Buster and all that sort of stuff.

Then, I got the first edition Eagle 'relaunch' in the early 80's and had every issue of it from then until the late 80's, which is when I moved from Eagle to 2000AD.

I had hundreds of Eagles & 2000AD's, but, being young and stupid and moving out of home at like 16/17, I threw them all away due to lack of space in my first bedsit. I so wish I'd kept them all, I bet they'd be worth a few quid on eBay about now.

Since then, I lost interest in comics, I've always avoided Marvel and DC stuff (as much as I like Supes, Spidey, Batman et al, all the other 'side' or lesser known characters, I couldn't give a shit about. Didn't even know who Phoenix was until the X-Men movie) mainly because thier universes are so massive with hundreds and hundreds of heroes.

British comics for the win every day.

These days, I'll stick to graphic novels. I had a look some modern 2000AD, and it just doesn't seem to have the same 'feel' about it, it feel neutered and far to polished to be 2000AD. Oh and the price, it's a fucking rip off now.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Coincidentally, 2000AD contained a Dan dare story, albeit very far removed from the original version as created by Frank hampson (you should check out his artwork, its awesome).

2000AD featured Dan Dare twice as I recall; the very early progs 1-12 and then in the 2000AD spin-off comic Revolver.

The recent Virgin Comics' revival of Dan Dare was also excellent.

I used to be an avid comics reader (I actually worked out I could have bought a Boxster with the amount I spent on comics down the years), and I'll still drop in to Forbidden Planet on occasion. Don't read 2000AD anymore because I had a years' gap when I was away and cba getting back into it. Garth Ennis' The Boys is probably the one series I still keep up with.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
2000ad was mint :D
luke kirby was excellent never been done as a compilation tho :(
and charleys war

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The Beano, then Transformers. The UK Transformers Comic stories were fucking epic.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Honestly never got the appeal behind comics. Fucking read a book.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Some comics I've read far outweigh, in artistic and intellectual terms, many books I've read.

But yes, there's a lot of childish chod in the comic world. It's to be expected.

As for the actual topic question - yep, like everyone else I used to get 2000AD (and still do sometimes).

I tend to buy collections in "graphic novel" form now. And only stuff I've heard is exceptionally good...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

You really are making a truly heroic effort to be an utter twat in every thread these days aren't you? Is it like, permanently your period or something?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Some comics I've read far outweigh, in artistic and intellectual terms, many books I've read.

Read better books.

I think I have acquired a new target in DaGaffer. He's incredibly easy to rile. This is pleasing news.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Read better books.

I think I have acquired a new target in DaGaffer. He's incredibly easy to rile. This is pleasing news.
People often complain that movies aren't faithful to books. Graphic novels are like a halfway step between books and movies in that they tell a story while maintaining a consistent visual style. James O'Barr, J.M.Linsner, Frank Miller and Alan Moore are all good writers of graphic novels that also have their own distinctive look.
The Crow, Sin City, 300 and Watchmen are all visually unique and the filmmakers managed to maintain a lot of the style in the translation to the big screen.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I used to read Beezer when i was about 10, but no seems to remember it

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'm currently reading Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". It's interesting, but I've read better comics... :p

It is indeed interesting, it's also quite flawed though. IMO it says more than 1984 does.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I loved Eagle, never had the comic just always the annual every Xmas.

Me and a mate also got really into a horror type comic, it was amazing but no one knows what it was called, he bought every copy but I stopped after a while. Had a great running story in it about a hunchback type character.

rynnor

Rockhound
Me and a mate also got really into a horror type comic, it was amazing but no one knows what it was called, he bought every copy but I stopped after a while. Had a great running story in it about a hunchback type character.

I had that one too - called Scream - heres a tribute site - Scream is Back from the Depths- Tribute site to the greatest horror comic ever!

I used to read 2000AD but also these mini booklet style magazines that were all about Sci-fi stories - called Starblazer (found one the other day thus remember the name) - they were really well written pieces of Science fiction - shame about the format.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm a bit embarrassed to say amongst proper comic officianados, but during one summer holiday I got into reading 'Commando - War stories with pictures' which was kind of a mini comic.... loved it :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom