Come on Dreamweaver users...

P

PR.

... help meh :(

After getting the ASP pages to talk to the SQL server through a DSN less connection rather than through the ODBC dialog box I am now making some changes to the telephone directory

I want to filter the two offices we have. We have an ed+ office and a Landmark office now each person in the address list has the office they belong to in their entry in the database. Then on the ASP page I have a drop down list with the two offices in.

So when you selected the ed+ option you would see only the people who work in that office, if you select the Landmark office you only get people who work there.

The only problem is I can't work out how to have dynamic filters that apply to the data as your looking at the page.

I can create a recordset in dreamweaver and tell it to only show someone from one office but theres no way to switch it back the other way :(

Any help?

Pleaaaassseeee ;)

P

pg_exoshear

ASP ---

again another Micro$oft blunder compounded.

Sorry, cant help :( only know Advanced HTML and some PHP (little mysql as well)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by pg_exoshear
ASP ---

again another Micro$oft blunder compounded.

Sorry, cant help :( only know Advanced HTML and some PHP (little mysql as well)

ASP is good...esp ASP.net

J

Jonty

Originally posted by pg_exoshear
ASP --- again another Micro$oft blunder compounded. Sorry, cant help :( only know Advanced HTML and some PHP (little mysql as well)
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all ;) Seriously, though, simply posting to air your negative views on what is fundamentally a sound and popular programming language isn't very constructive now, is it? *Jonty realises that since he doesn't use Dreamweaver and cannot help his own post effectively amounts to a rant, and so he promptly dismounts his high horse and apologies*

Seriously, though, your problem does sound fairly straightforward to solve, but since I don't use DW or a visual editor, I'm not sure how I'd approach it. How are you with coding ASP / MySQL things by hand, PR?

Kind Regards

P

PR.

How are you with coding ASP / MySQL things by hand, PR?

Useless :)

I'm pretty much a novice, I can do fancy things but only if its part of dreamweaver or theres some tutorial on how to do it on a website

At the moment I've just got a drop down box on two seperate pages with two seperately filtered recordsets and the drop down just switches between the two. Not very good experience wise but it is functional

Thanks anyway :)

P

Panda On Smack

sounds like you need to create 1 page with a dynamic query at the top that uses a drop down to complete it.

dont know much asp so just replace stuff.

have a drop down with your options and give them values of the offices. set the form action to the same page as the drop down is in. then when u select an office and submit the form the variable is passed to itself and used in the query at the top.

summat like:

ThisOffice = 'Form.Office'

SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE Office = ' & ThisOffice & '

when u first go to the page it might be worth checking to see if the office parameter exists. so if Office exists show the results and if it doesnt exist show the drop down wth the options.

does that make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom