come on all you old timers

Bahumat

FH is my second home
bombs are teh topic, ok im clueless but its something i heard about so i dont want/mean to offend anyone with wildly inaccurate statistics/facts.

ok, you got the really bad bombs like A-bomb, neutron, daisy cutter etc, but there was 1 bomb which was also a bastard, if what im told is true it was set off by the russians probably 10+ years back.

no im not talking about hiroshima from japan or the chenobyl incident (yeah i know its not a bomb but ppl may think i was on about that).

I may be completly wrong about this but i was under the impression most powerful countries had this bomb and no one would get rid of them incase people started wars...however Russia i think set one of these bad boys off by accident....not sure what it hit but it werent another country or that would cause war.

ok if any of this makes any sense please fill in the gaps :)

Grimnna

Fledgling Freddie
I'll be the first one to say it: Sure it wasn't a Reaver-Bomb?

<starts banging head against wall> Can't believe I actually pressed "Post Reply"

Sorry all...

Marc

FH is my second home
The russians detonated the worlds largest nuclear bomb back in the early 60's but this was just a test. Was the equavilent of something like 50 million tonnes of TnT or something.

In my lifetime, I cant remember any accidents from the russians, as they ceased to be a super power about 20 years ago (ish)

Maybe it was a dirty bomb or something.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
ahh i must have been lied to when i was a wee nipper :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
[SS]Gamblor said:
Aye , so Hasselhoff is teh Ghey :p

*Yeah Chuck, yeah thats the guy i told you about....reckons he can take 2 of your round house kicks*

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
*Yeah Chuck, yeah thats the guy i told you about....reckons he can take 2 of your round house kicks*

Hey Vin , that's the guy who's been bad mouthing you to Chuck and Mr T ...

I wouldn't stand for it if i where you.

\o/

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
The russians detonated the worlds largest nuclear bomb back in the early 60's but this was just a test. Was the equavilent of something like 50 million tonnes of TnT or something.
That was their successful test of the fission-fussion technology commonly known as H-Bomb.

Just for comparision: This bomb equaled 50,000,000 tons of TNT while the Hiroshima bomb was only 25,000 tons. Even stronger ones have been constructed after that.
If I remember correctly Russia beat the USA in the race for the 1st successful test but the USA's 1st nuke was about twice as powerful as Russias.

UrganNagru

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm pretty sure the American were the first ones to get the fusion bomb too, however as someone mentioned earlier the Russians did a test with one of their own a few years later called the Tzar, it was the most powerful man made explosion to date as far as I know, all though i'm not sure if anyone has created nything more powerful as theres little need to as it could pretty much of wiped out greater London and a large part of the South east of England.

Oh and I'm not some nutter who looks this kind of stuff up, just happened to be on the discovery channel when I was browsing the channels once :p

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
UrganNagru said:
Hmmm pretty sure the American were the first ones to get the fusion bomb too, however as someone mentioned earlier the Russians did a test with one of their own a few years later called the Tzar, it was the most powerful man made explosion to date as far as I know, all though i'm not sure if anyone has created nything more powerful as theres little need to as it could pretty much of wiped out greater London and a large part of the South east of England.

Oh and I'm not some nutter who looks this kind of stuff up, just happened to be on the discovery channel when I was browsing the channels once :p

Tzar was a fission-fusion-fission or 3-staged bomb but could aswell be said 50 megaton bomb. I'm more familiar with the technology than the history. :)

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Jeriraa said:
Tzar was a fission-fusion-fission or 3-staged bomb but could aswell be said 50 megaton bomb. I'm more familiar with the technology than the history. :)
What kind of stupid name is that for a bomb?

Should be Bomb-of-fire or something. Not fuzzlefizzlefazzle. Sounds like a program small children would watch.

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Tasslehoff said:
What kind of stupid name is that for a bomb?

Should be Bomb-of-fire or something. Not fuzzlefizzlefazzle. Sounds like a program small children would watch.

Its called that because thats what happens when you detonate it.

A small core of uranium or plutonium is compressed to critical mass by a conventional explosive and fission starts. The produced heat initiates the fusion of a small quanitity of deuterium and tritium (hydrogen isotopes) into helium. During that process a large amount of neutrons is set free wich initiates a fission in the thick outer uranium or plutonium layer of the bomb.

Without the neutrons from the fusion the outer layer (wich can be several 100kg) would not fission because it doesnt reach critical mass. Using this concept you can detonate waaaaay bigger amounts of uranium or plutonium than within a common or even a boosted A-Bomb.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Ezteq said:
rofl The Ultimate Bomb Of Ultimate Destiny!!!!

lol

Didnt that make a cameo in the second 'planet of the apes' films?

that big old gold thing the bald guys worshipped or something? :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
hehe dunno i ripped it from that thread posted a few days ago with all the super heros having a barney

Sauruman

Loyal Freddie
So, whats the most powerful bomb known publically (xD) atm ? And how many would be needed to destroy our planet ?

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Sauruman said:
So, whats the most powerful bomb known publically (xD) atm ? And how many would be needed to destroy our planet ?

The most powerful in the means of blast radius and destruction potential would be fission-fusion-fission bombs. Their blast is only limited by weight of the warhead. You could make em really really big.

If you are asking about destroying the planet... well, you cant really destroy the planet with bombs. Imagine trying to blow up a bowling ball with needletip sized firecrackers.... you'd have to coat the bowling ball in a really thick layer of them to do some damage.
You however can detonate a couple of big cobalt-bombs (or salted bombs) in the upper atmosphere. They create a massive amount of long lived radiation. You'd probably need less than 10 of them to likely kill all higher developed life on this planet.

Sauruman

Loyal Freddie
Jeriraa said:
The most powerful in the means of blast radius and destruction potential would be fission-fusion-fission bombs. Their blast is only limited by weight of the warhead. You could make em really really big.

If you are asking about destroying the planet... well, you cant really destroy the planet with bombs. Imagine trying to blow up a bowling ball with needletip sized firecrackers.... you'd have to coat the bowling ball in a really thick layer of them to do some damage.
You however can detonate a couple of big cobalt-bombs (or salted bombs) in the upper atmosphere. They create a massive amount of long lived radiation. You'd probably need less than 10 of them to likely kill all higher developed life on this planet.

Yeah, i meant, destroying the surface, all continents.

PS: I've seen Armageddon xD

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
think that would be anti-matter bomb.. and i heard the swiss are working on it.. scary eh?

Rhori

Fledgling Freddie
Jeriraa said:

if you put the firecrackers inside the bowling ball, then you'll need a couple to blow it up

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Jeriraa said:
Its called that because thats what happens when you detonate it.

A small core of uranium or plutonium is compressed to critical mass by a conventional explosive and fission starts. The produced heat initiates the fusion of a small quanitity of deuterium and tritium (hydrogen isotopes) into helium. During that process a large amount of neutrons is set free wich initiates a fission in the thick outer uranium or plutonium layer of the bomb.

Without the neutrons from the fusion the outer layer (wich can be several 100kg) would not fission because it doesnt reach critical mass. Using this concept you can detonate waaaaay bigger amounts of uranium or plutonium than within a common or even a boosted A-Bomb.
I know, it was a joke :)

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
after posting earlier, i done some research and was suprised by the results.

apparently the most powerful bomb in the world is made by a company called ACME and it looks like a christmas pudding.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
ilaya said:
think that would be anti-matter bomb.. and i heard the swiss are working on it.. scary eh?
yeah i heard the itallians were working on a wossamatta bomb, thats even worse tbh.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
The 'mericans could destroy the whole world if they wanted to iirc;o

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
So could the Chinese if they manage to jump up all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom