Combat system - how would you design it?

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
leviathane said:
sm's have lifetap too and they have an op'd pet, also vw's xD
And animists... but I guess we are talking about non gimped classes.

Thegreatest said:
I would love to see a combat system like in Oblivion, with block/parry done manually and also you swing the sword manually and determine the styles done with the movement direction of your mouse instead of bashing some buttons...but I guess there will never be a MMORPG with this system :(
That kind of skills are for games like Oblivian. Witch reminds me that Oblivian has the most unfinished\bugged game\comat\leveling system ever.

RS|Phil said:
I'll concede your point if you'll consider this - a tank runs upto a caster, /sticks to him and styles, the caster runs off and tank runs off at same moment - but the casters is permanently out of range - and that's just wrong. I abuse this as much as the next man but tbh it's broken :) I'm not asking for a huge range increase just something to prevent people being a hair's breadth too far out of range.

Or - and this is more along the lines of your point - remove root, snare, stun, and the slow effect disease has. If you're saying it's fair for tanks to be kited then it should be fair to remove the CC from cloth users and other dmg casters because if you can kite a tank then you've already got one form of CC in my opinion.

That is whats so great about the design. You cant win alone. The caster will have you on his tail and die if he dont get help. While you wont get the caster soon enough (because you didnt use your stun\snare style), unless you get HELP from your allies to snare him (or any of the other 20 options like charge or sos). Though, I cant say I share your problem... If you are on him, and are sprinting before he starts, he shouldnt be able to get out of range. Anyway, if he does, mabye its time for you to consider other options. Either chose a new target or consider if he is worth chasing.

grizzy said:
Id really prefer melee classes to remain as the effective ''solo rvr'' classes rather than : /face 3 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 win/lose
I've seen good players do wonders when they didnt stand a chance. As a melee class, you need to get near the caster. Its obvious that entering combat with a caster on an open field is insane (unless you have certain abileties like charge). You get him close up, by using advantage of the terrain etc. I dont say daoc is perfect for this, but go back a few years and it was no problem at all.
With a the system above and propper tweaking, it should be no problem at all to make both types fear eachother.

On a sidenote: the stuff i've "presented" is VERY vague and cant really be said to have any saying on how it would work. Its just a general idea of how I think I'd want it. :)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
That is whats so great about the design. You cant win alone. The caster will have you on his tail and die if he dont get help. While you wont get the caster soon enough (because you didnt use your stun\snare style), unless you get HELP from your allies to snare him (or any of the other 20 options like charge or sos). Though, I cant say I share your problem... If you are on him, and are sprinting before he starts, he shouldnt be able to get out of range. Anyway, if he does, mabye its time for you to consider other options. Either chose a new target or consider if he is worth chasing.

They're you're very, very lucky because 99% of the people in the game have the problem not being able to hit someone running away from them even if you set off at same time with sprint.

baseline stun means FA in the world of purge3/det etc.

Hm... ok so it's fair having to spent 30 points to escape from something with no recast timer :p

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
They're you're very, very lucky because 99% of the people in the game have the problem not being able to hit someone running away from them even if you set off at same time with sprint.
This is somethig that happens every time? I seem to always get hit in the back when I try to run. I havent played any of my melee chars in a while...my pally never had this problem.. not my NS or warden either. Maybe its a delay problem. As in you got too high ping. Cant see any other way to explan it.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Korax said:
This is somethig that happens every time? I seem to always get hit in the back when I try to run. I havent played any of my melee chars in a while...my pally never had this problem.. not my NS or warden either. Maybe its a delay problem. As in you got too high ping. Cant see any other way to explan it.

It could be many things I guess. You've got better reflexes, your PC works faster, or your internet is better. Regardless, like I said, 99% of people have this prob even in the USA - if you VN - so that's why I'm so in favour of antikiting. My ping is awesome btw - pluis I've been on 5 different internet providers and alwayas had it :)
:)

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
It could be many things I guess. You've got better reflexes, your PC works faster, or your internet is better. Regardless, like I said, 99% of people have this prob even in the USA - if you VN - so that's why I'm so in favour of antikiting. My ping is awesome btw - pluis I've been on 5 different internet providers and alwayas had it :)
:)
Well, as you are sticked and got sprint on it cant be reflexes. Not likely the PC either. Anyway, I cant seem to remember anything about this earlier on FH (dont VN too much). And if its such a big problem... I should have :p.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
meleelag is a well known problem that started to occur when NF came out. Can sprint ontop of a caster as a BM and still get oor.. Has nothing to do with quality of PC or ping or whatever. That crap made caster totally easymode :/

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
meleelag is a well known problem that started to occur when NF came out. Can sprint ontop of a caster as a BM and still get oor.. Has nothing to do with quality of PC or ping or whatever. That crap made caster totally easymode :/
Haven't played melee at all in NF, so that pretty much explains it. :)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
Hm... ok so it's fair having to spent 30 points to escape from something with no recast timer :p

Well, DAoC is developed enough that alot of players are rr5+. I think it's pretty self explainatory from there.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Bugz said:
Well, DAoC is developed enough that alot of players are rr5+. I think it's pretty self explainatory from there.

That's one sided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom