[QUESTION] collision detection?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
I am in two minds about collision detection in PvP, i can see the tactical benefits of it for instance dont let a melee class put you in a corner or against a wall.

You can bottle neck various choke points keep doors, ramps/stairs.

also at the same time there are problems mainly when your trying to run out of damage range and someone is behind you and you cant move, people just stopping still.

With collision detection you really have to be constantly moving even a little, or using the shoot and scoot tactic.

:m00:

Tiani

Fledgling Freddie
I think it adds mounds to the game in terms of tactics and makes people think a bit more about what they are doing.

RF Online Introduced collision mechanics and it really added to the game. They had 3 times a day wars for control of an area, and, just like in WaR all 3 races would get thier tanks in front of a chip, and their range DPS'ers behind and wage war on each others control chip.

It makes it feel more like a battle because thats how it would work in real life, meat shields doing what they were born to do, RDPS blasting the shit out of things from safely behind.

Now one being able to penetrate the wall of shields unless outright killing them.

Wicked imo!

dee777

Loyal Freddie
The first MMORPG I played with collision detection was AoC and it was pretty much the saving grace for a crippled game for me. Adds so much immersion and tactical depth, I dont really know, how to play without it any more.

I can see problems in huge standoffs at choke points tho, however I hope that those points could be fixed instead of the great system getting disabled.

BTW, I already asked in anohter thread, so sorry for crossposting but it seems to fit in here too. Arent MDPS classes able to stealth "thru" the meatshields and get to the squishies in the back? I thought thats the way the archetype was designed, but never got around to playing one yet.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
By far one of the better additions to the game, having to actually think about attacking a keep in a more realistic manner s not a bad thing. Of course you can get blocked in by your own team but hey its the same for everyone.

rynnor

Rockhound
By far one of the better additions to the game, having to actually think about attacking a keep in a more realistic manner s not a bad thing. Of course you can get blocked in by your own team but hey its the same for everyone.

Aye - sometimes it kills me - sometimes it saves me.

It takes a bit of adjusting to but adds new tactics.

Retreating is a hell of a lot more painfull in a zerg now as everyones sticking on each other in much confusion which means the attackers can really punish them which is pretty realistic.

Overall its a thumbs up from me :)

Tiani

Fledgling Freddie
Collision works both ways ? I thought it was just against enemies, didnt know your collide with friendly units as well.

Perf

One of Freddy's beloved
yea, it can be a challenge which makes for a good laugh. 3 time i tried to run up to the 1st floor to help defend the keep from a hoard of destruction and 3 times i got past them only to get blocked at the top of the stairs/ramp by a wall of dwarves with orrible axes an shields, needless to say i got raped from behind 3 outta 3 :)

I think its a great thing to have, in daoc all you had to do was /sprint past all defenders to get to the top and hold out long enough to kill the keep lord.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I got a bit pissed last night about being blocked in a keep door by a Orc, whilst all hell rained down upon me, but on reflection, I probably shouldn't have gone out in the first place. I guess it leads to more tactical thinking, which is only a good thing.

Yma

Fledgling Freddie
No, it works both ways, you have to pay attention to your allies too. Clear space if you are in the rear when you see your almost dead tank running in your direction, he will be happy not to die at your feet :) At the same time, overextending can be fatal as you may be caught in the middle between two clashing tanks front.

CD makes a serious difference in playstyle, it gives defensive tanks an additional role both in blocking chokepoints and in slowing down enemies assaults while your casters and archers will be more protected and have more time unleashing their dps.

rynnor

Rockhound
It also works as nasty cc if your well organised enough to surround a player with 2 or 3 bodies hes basically stuck :)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
It will b nice when some of the tanks realise that their are rp's a plenty by actually blocking the ramp at the bottom as well to prevent reinforcments from getting into rezzing range upstairs.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
with knockback suck as Ironbreaker or shamans aoe it will add a whole new angle to 'blocking' people. best we all wait till 40 before passing judgement

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
atm, its annoying as hell

but takes getting used to and all new things tend to feel a bit annoying in the start

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Was wondering wtf was going on, thought I was stuck in the terrain.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
with knockback suck as Ironbreaker or shamans aoe it will add a whole new angle to 'blocking' people. best we all wait till 40 before passing judgement

With bottlenecks the gimpy magus might actually be useful with so many people unable to move and sandwiched in... one reason i am persevering with my magus for now...

also tanks using knockback to push the targets against a wall while they get range dpsed or aoed :)

sounds fun, is a learning curve, i suppose things like vent and TS are needed in order to get/ask people to move and coordinate better.

:m00:

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I really like it as it adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

Although I've noticed sometimes when I'm trying to block someone, they rubber band through me and appear about 15ft infront out of melee range :(

Dredge

Fledgling Freddie
I love bunched up tanks etc. Makes casting shattered shadows so much more satisfying. Especially when I see all those +800 numbers flying past.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
If it wasn't for the CD, then I'm not sure I'd be so interested into this game.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
Three factors were deciding for me to love this game:

1. RvR => After quitting DaoC, I was aching for some RvR
2. The Warhammer Lore
3. Collision detection.

This CD is a boon as much as it is a curse.
It is a boon because it makes RvR more tactical.
It's a curse when people from your own side are running in the way :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Collision detection is ace - you can stop the "eek it's an enemy better run away" type of zerger from retreating through the tunnel you're standing in and make them go fight ;)

boinged

Fledgling Freddie
I read it was supposed to be just against enemies although it seems to be for everyone. I'd be quite happy for it to be removed for allies if it would reduce some of the lag in scenarios.

I've also been killed a few times by being blocked by my own team while I'm running away. In their eagerness to engage the enemy, I think the noobs try and run through me!

I think I've been blocked while in stealth which could give you away if the other players were perceptive enough. It could also allow a bunch of stealthers to create an invisible wall. I'd rather not have CD when stealthed, was really handy in AoC for sneaking past enemies.

But it is a great feature allowing for a lot more tactics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom