Collector Items!

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
I don’t know if many people will understand this thread as its probably aimed at the older members. Personally I’m only 20 and I’ve never seen these things in my life until now.

Anyway, we are moving house soon and when clearing out some of the loft the other day my dad and I came across a lot of old crap he collected when he was younger. We found his cigarette card collection (sounds sad I know) and he is interested in patching up the missing card he has not got, or else sell & trade them off with other collectors.

What is a cigarette card thing? Well its not the coupons you collect these days in cigarettes. Basically year’s ago companies (or the company I’m talking about Gallaher Ltd.) used to print cards of random things like “The Navy” (navy ships etc) “Racing Scenes” (horse racing scenes) and what not on cards which you got in cigarette packets, and it seems people actually collected these. On the front of the card is the picture then on the back it tells you which set it’s from (Series of 48. No 43 for example). Then it gave you a description in writing about the ship or whatever is on the front. So they came in set’s of 48. My dad has about 500 of these cards and most of the sets are complete or he has duplicates of some that other collectors might be interested in.

An example is below.

The import of Basenjis was a big enough event to cause the British cigarette company Gallaher Ltd. to issue this card of Bongo of Blean in 1938. It was the 43rd card issued in a second 48 card series on dogs. Cards were originally introduced in paper cigarette packets to stiffen the carton. Instead of leaving the cards blank, tobacco companies soon started printing pictures of attractive beauties, sports hereos, etc. to promote sales by smokers keen to complete a card sequence. World War II brought an end to the printing of the cards.

An image of a card..

cardfrnt.jpg

Anyway what I’m looking is advice on where to look for other such collectors, I’ve googled around this morning but I’ve not found much. Does anyone think they would be worth anything? Should I fire them on ebay? Remember some of them are from 1926 etc. Does anyone else here have any? :) Does anyone know wtf I’m talking about? Haha

Thanks in advance :)

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
bah! seems like they are more common than i thought and aren't worth alot :< theres more sad bastards out there than i thought then :p

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
you live in belfast ffs, you should have realised that by just looking out the window for 5 minutes :p

oh wait, your not talking about chavs then? :eek:

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
Insane said:
you live in belfast ffs, you should have realised that by just looking out the window for 5 minutes :p

oh wait, your not talking about chavs then? :eek:

oh here comes the irish insults now :p have u been taking lessons from deadmanwalking? haha

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Most people, like those who want to be eBay entrepreneurs, often misjudge the value of something.

For a collectable item to be worth a lot, it must be (a) rare and (b) in demand. An item can be rare and not wanted, in which case it isn't worth anything.

Another point is that certain items are in demand by the unwashed public rather than collectors, although their worth might be over valued by these punters, they are unlikely to worry about the condition of the item as much as a genuine collector is.

I could certainly tell you that ciggarette card collections are actually not as rare as you think, even in good condition.

I'd still sort them out and put them in a picture frame, they may well sell for something on eBay.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Theres a place in Gloucester docks, called Antiques Warehouse, and on the 4th floor there, is a couple of guys who trade and sell cards of all types for a living. I know they deal in cigarette cards, stamps and so on, all the way through to modern CCGs.

As for a webbie, phone number or anything, I have no idea off hand, but I'll see what I can do...

Edit: Crappy spelling

Tilda

Talyn said:
Theres a place in Gloucester docks, called Antiques Warehouse, and on the 4th floor there, is a couple of guys who trade and sell cards of all types for a living. I know they deal in cigarette cards, stamps and so on, all the way through to modern CCGs.

As for a webbie, phone number or anything, I have no idea off hand, but I'll see what I can do...

Edit: Crappy spelling
You live in Gloucester? *gulp*
Theres a card shop on the 2nd or 3rd floor, i cant remember, some bloke in there has loads of stuff. :D

*leaves Gloucester* ;)

Tilda

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
SparKeh said:
oh here comes the irish insults now :p have u been taking lessons from deadmanwalking? haha

I have told you i have nothing against irish.

Just you :p

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
SparKeh said:

Points to sig

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My brother in law had quite a collection and may still have, so drop me a pm if you're interested in me putting you in touch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom