Collaboration bands

J

Jonaldo

After posting in the 'Funeral songs' thread I dug out my old Temple of the Dog cd and damn I'd forgotten how good it was :)

(for those un-initiated it was a collaboration of Chris Cornell/members of Soundgarden and members of Pearl Jam recording a memorial album for Andrew Wood who was the singer of Seattle band 'Mother Love Bone' - of which 2 members of Pearl Jam were in at the time)

I then felt compelled to find my Mad Season cd which was a whole mix up including vocals from Layne Stayley of Alice in Chains, guitars from Mike Mcready of Pearl Jam amongst others.

Just wondered if anyone knows of any other temporary little 'supergroups' that recorded any decent stuff together as one-offs?

Were the Travelling Wilburys any good? :D

L

leggy

I absolutely loved temple of the dog when i was younger.

Nothing else to add really :)

X

Xtro 2.0

Pigface are an on off collective of industrial/metal/noisy bastard artists. The main guy is Martin Atkins (drummer for Public Image Ltd then Killing Joke) and along the way he's had Trent Reznor (NiN), members of Skinny Puppy, Geordie and Raven of Killing Joke, Einsterzende Neubaten, Richard H Kirk, Rob Zombie and Ministry work with him (nearly all of the above at the same time on one album).

Not exactly easy listening :)

X

xane

I remember the days of the Young and Moody Band, consisting of Bob Young (Status Quo), Micky Moody (Whitesnake), Lemmy (Motorhead), Cozy Powell (lots} and ... The Nolan Sisters !

(had to Google a bit for that one).

My favourite collaboration was The Travelling Wilburys; Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, George Harrison, Geoff Lynne. Someone gave me an album and it's quite nice light music.

M

mank

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
Pigface are an on off collective of industrial/metal/noisy bastard artists. The main guy is Martin Atkins (drummer for Public Image Ltd then Killing Joke) and along the way he's had Trent Reznor (NiN), members of Skinny Puppy, Geordie and Raven of Killing Joke, Einsterzende Neubaten, Richard H Kirk, Rob Zombie and Ministry work with him (nearly all of the above at the same time on one album).

Not exactly easy listening :)

Pigface are supposed to be quite good, but I've never heard their stuff. Can you recommend some?

The only collaboration I can think of is probably A Perfect Circle which is Maynard of Tool and I believe they've just been joined by the ex-guitarist of the Pumpkins, James Ioa or something?

I expect I'll remember a few more later.

M

maxi--

The Travelling Wilburys werent nearly as good as they should have been.

Broken Social Scene are a mixture of groups KC Accidental and Stars, Stars are actually Supporting BSS on their upcoming UK tour. And BSS have a Song on their album 'You Forget In people' called 'KC Accidental'. BSS are a damn fine indie-rock group, who are doing the toilet bowl tour of the UK right now, so you can probably catch them in a Hamlet near you, and you should.

Another supergroup who were/are not quite as good as they should be are The Reindeer Section, pretty MOR folky pop (similar to Kings Of Convenience, B&S, Simon & Garfunkel) They have members of Belle & Sebastian, ASTRID, Mogwai, Snow Patrol, Eva and maybe even The Delgados. They've done a few good tunes though.

I add more later, when i can think of more. someone should do a 'Side Projects' thread, boy i could go on for ages about bands side projects, whooeee.

X

xane

Originally posted by maxi--
The Travelling Wilburys werent nearly as good as they should have been.

Seeing as the first album was "unplanned", at that point it was just the five of them together with no real consistancy, and no tour intended, I think it was quite good.

There was only one true album anyway, then Orbison died, so the whole thing never went anywhere really.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by xane
Seeing as the first album was "unplanned", at that point it was just the five of them together with no real consistancy, and no tour intended, I think it was quite good.

There was only one true album anyway, then Orbison died, so the whole thing never went anywhere really.

I'm not saying it wasn't good, but y'know whne you look a the line up of certain supergroups you think "jeesus they should be awesome" and The Willburys are the best example, a STUNNING line-up really, but no equally STUNNING album to back it up.

L

leggy

This Mortal Coil.

Apparently made up of artists also signed to the 4AD label. Artists include Syd Barrett, Alex Chilton, Talking Heads, Tim Buckley, and Gene Clark

Mate at work is into them.

M

mank

holy fuck, Syd Barrett and Talking Heads? I might check them out.

on a related note, weren't the Pixies on the 4AD label too?

W

Will

Mike Watt - Ball Hog or Tug Boat?

A sort of grungy mix of lots of different artists. Features a stunning track with Eddie Veder on vocals...something about "the kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies".

X

Xtro 2.0

Originally posted by Will
Features a stunning track with Eddie Veder on vocals...something about "the kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies".

Something wrong there mate...Eddie Vedder and "stunning" in the same sentence maybe ;)

W

Will

Why you cheeky little...

*waits for Trem to lay into X*

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
Something wrong there mate...Eddie Vedder and "stunning" in the same sentence maybe ;)
Why?
Possibly the best male vocalist of the last 10 years. And going back quite a lot further than that even to the likes of the Soul & Motown singers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom