CLustering

brilyn

Fledgling Freddie
Hi there.

I've seen this mentioned in a couple topics, but I can't seem to find any specific info on it.

Could someone point me at an article that explains it?

(I know what clustering is, in the general networking sense of the word, just not too sure what it means in the contect of DAOC ;) )

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
two servers are linked - you can port between the capital cities (i.e. go to camelot on excal and port to camelot on prydwen) within the same realm.

The frontier is merged - i.e. one frontier for prydwen and for excalibur.

I think the old world zones and catacombs zones are also merged, with there being two sets of ToA.

If you see people from the other server they'll be Fingoniel-Prydwen or Fingoniel-Excalibur.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
all RVR zones and the Capital Cities will be spared between both servers...(thid/leir also)

TOA/SI zones will be seperate to each other...but peeps from excal will be able to go into pryd toa/si and vise versa...

if 2guilds wit the same name are on both hib pry/excal then they will say (excal or Pryd) wat server they are originally from..

housing will be seperate zones also...

if i tink of anything else soon i will post again..or if i am wrong correct me plz

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
(invisibletank) said:
all RVR zones and the Capital Cities will be spared between both servers...(thid/leir also)

so will only be 1 nf an 1 camelot????

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
two servers are linked - you can port between the capital cities (i.e. go to camelot on excal and port to camelot on prydwen) within the same realm.

The frontier is merged - i.e. one frontier for prydwen and for excalibur.

I think the old world zones and catacombs zones are also merged, with there being two sets of ToA.

If you see people from the other server they'll be Fingoniel-Prydwen or Fingoniel-Excalibur.

You got this very wrong.
Capital cities + Frontiers will be merged into 1 zone. That means that there will only be one Camelot/Jordheim/Tir Na Nog? which Prydwen and Excalibur will share. Same goes for Frontiers, only 1 zone, which should boost the activeness of RvR (which was kinda the point).

There will excist 2 zones of everything else. Etc. 2 Classic zones, 2 SI, 2 TOA, 2 Catacombs, 2 Housing.
You will be able to port between this zones, so if you play on Excalibur you can visit TOA-Prydwen and see if any artifacts up there.

You are right about the names though. Fingoniel would become Fingoniel of Excalibur or Fingoniel of Prydwen.

Atleast thats how I understood it.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Also Agent Smith can now cross between server's much easier, thus causing the total zerg to become far scarier and disorganised.

oh wait, sorry replace Agent Smith with Albion.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
cemi0 said:
You got this very wrong.
Indeed you did ;)

capital cities are not merged - be hard to use the channelers to port between them if they were ;)
Frontiers will be merged.
Any other zones _can_ be merged (so ToA could be merged but I'm pretty sure people said they didn't want that so we'll get two lots of ToA - old world and catacombs zones are merged on the US servers, presumably the same over here).

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Was told the capitals would be merged.. But maybe they changed it?

Kadayn

Banned
SERVER CLUSTERING

To alleviate the problem where lower population servers often do not have enough players logged in simultaneously to foster a stimulating RvR environment, we have developed server clustering. The intent of server clustering is to give players more friends and enemies in RvR, but not change the home server's community unless the players seek to do so.

Traveling to a Clustered Server

- In order to travel between servers, we have added new Channeler NPCs to each of the main cities. These NPCs are the "travel agents" for the realms, which will teleport players between servers in the cluster.

Camelot - Channeler Kho'unas Jordheim - Channeler Jith Tir na Nog - Channeler Galia

- (Catacombs Client) When a character zones into a new area on a clustered server, the server name is printed in the centre of the screen.

Character and Guild Names

- Names currently in existence are not guaranteed to be unique for players or guilds. New characters or guilds created are subject to name duplication restrictions, but existing names are unchanged.

- Newly created guilds are subject to emblem duplication restrictions. Existing guilds with duplicated guild emblems will not be changed.

- If you have two characters with the same name on the cluster, you communicate with them by appending the server name if they are not from your home server. For example : If you have Bob of Excalibur and Bob of Prydwen and you're from Excalibur, /send Bob or /send Bob-e will go to Bob of Excalibur, and /tell Bob-p will go to Bob of Prydwen.

- In all chat messages, if a player is from the same server as you, the text you see will remain unchanged. If they are from another server, their name will be printed as "Name-ServerName :" (the same format you would use to /send to them).

- In any shared region kill spam messages, the kill spam will always contain the server name information of the two players (e.g. : Bob-Excalibur was just killed by PlayerX-Prydwen).

- Names over the heads of players will display as "Player of Server" to players on other servers in the cluster. Players from your home server will display normally as they always have. Realm Enemies will display normally as they always have (Race and Realm Rank Title).

Zone Sharing

- Based on player feedback, only New Frontiers, the Battlegrounds, Darkness Falls, Passage of Conflict, Capital Cities and Summoner's Hall will be shared in the server cluster. Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs zones will not be shared. Clustered servers will maintain separate versions of all other zones, including Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs zones - players from other servers on the cluster can use the "travel agent" NPCs to migrate to another server, and then travel to that server's Trials of Atlantis or Catacombs zones.

Bind Points

- Bind points will be server dependent. For example : If you bind at Mag Mell on Excalibur, then go visit Prydwen and die, you will release to Mag Mell on Excalibur.

- Releasing to your house bind will teleport you to the server the house is located on.

Restrictions

- Characters will only be able to purchase lots on their home server.

- Characters will only be able to join guilds from their own server.

- Guilds will not be able to join in cross-server alliances on their server cluster.

- There is a timer in place to prevent cross-realming characters. After logging a character into one realm on the cluster, you will have to wait one hour (real world time) before being allowed to log into another realm on that same cluster.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Kadayn said:
- In order to travel between servers, we have added new Channeler NPCs to each of the main cities. These NPCs are the "travel agents" for the realms, which will teleport players between servers in the cluster.

Camelot - Channeler Kho'unas Jordheim - Channeler Jith Tir na Nog - Channeler Galia

Zone Sharing

- Based on player feedback, only New Frontiers, the Battlegrounds, Darkness Falls, Passage of Conflict, Capital Cities and Summoner's Hall will be shared in the server cluster. Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs zones will not be shared. Clustered servers will maintain separate versions of all other zones, including Trials of Atlantis and Catacombs zones - players from other servers on the cluster can use the "travel agent" NPCs to migrate to another server, and then travel to that server's Trials of Atlantis or Catacombs zones.

Fair enough, bloody confusing though :p
Doesn't actually mention the mainland in there at all - is it clustered or not? :)
If the capital cities are shared wtf do the channelers do then? or is it just a flag on your char that says "when I go to ToA I want to be on the prydwen one"?

I'd go test it out on pendragon but porting to hector = knackered char half the time atm ;) - anyone from a US cluster that can elaborate on how it works?

(incidentally goa have the option of clustering any zones they want though (we were given a load of options on the poll) - so it's possible to have catacombs clustered as well)

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Personally I think everything bar TOA should be clustered.

There isnt many xping groups anymore, and if there was only 1 main land zone, it would help group the few xping together.

I dont see any need for SI not to be merged into 1. Its hardly used except Gallah.

Lots of people lvl in catas, so as the point above about keeping the xp'ers together.

I think they decided to not cluster classic because of the dragon.

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
SERVER CLUSTERING

Restrictions

- Characters will only be able to purchase lots on their home server.

- Characters will only be able to join guilds from their own server.

- Guilds will not be able to join in cross-server alliances on their server cluster.

Pretty pathetic tbh, if there clustering the server I don't see why we shouldn't be able to join guilds or make alliances with guilds from Pryd - Excal. Clustering is a merging of two servers, yes it may have it's seperate zones but all the others will be shared so why not be able to make an alliance with a pryd guild and a excal guild.

That is very stupid imo.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
aye kinda agree with you there, basically now 1 server so may aswell be able to be guilded with one another.

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Kadayn said:
It is not merged it is clustered so they can break it if they want.

They said once servers has been clustered there is no way back.
So im not sure about that...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
cemi0 said:
They said once servers has been clustered there is no way back.

Declustering is possible, saw it mentioned on the Herald a month or two back.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Haggus said:
Pretty pathetic tbh, if there clustering the server I don't see why we shouldn't be able to join guilds or make alliances with guilds from Pryd - Excal. Clustering is a merging of two servers, yes it may have it's seperate zones but all the others will be shared so why not be able to make an alliance with a pryd guild and a excal guild.

That is very stupid imo.
Just my thoughts, clusting to make more rvr. But not making it posible to join alliance/guilds... :m00: :(
And yes, givf cluster (se my sig)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
the yanks clustered 4 servers together then split it up and had a 3 and a 2...

but declustering isn't necessarily "easy" :)

reading the news about it looks like you don't port between the servers - you just set a flag of which server you're on. Makes a bit more sense now (and the capitals are indeed clustered, sorry - I'd confused how it worked).

Jox

Fledgling Freddie
Thats a good roleplay-feeling;

- Saracens...loads of them! Run Excalibur-Jox! You too Prydwen-Jox! shouted Excalibur-Berit...

The clustering as a solution dosent feel 100% ok. Why not just move all chars from Prydwen to Excalibur?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
this name-server thing sounds utterly pish to be honest. We've got some god awful names in game already why add a sodding suffix to them! just make the for example

there's two Jox's so one stays Jox, the other becomes Jox II (as in jox the 2nd). If people whine just ban them for being too slow to grab the names on both servers :p

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Kami said:
this name-server thing sounds utterly pish to be honest. We've got some god awful names in game already why add a sodding suffix to them! just make the for example

there's two Jox's so one stays Jox, the other becomes Jox II (as in jox the 2nd). If people whine just ban them for being too slow to grab the names on both servers :p

LOL. I'm sure they'll do that tbh !

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin: What ever happened to the discussion about revamping FH DAOC to reflex new cluster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom