Close-athon?

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Ok first things first, this is not, repeat NOT a personal attack or anything of the sort.

i was just wondering, has somthing changed?

in the months i was posting on BW forum i didnt get a single post deleted or closed, and never once attracted the wrath of a scary mod.

and yet i have been posting on Freddies House for less than a week, and already a (in my opinion) perfectly reasonable post of mine has been closed because <a moderator> "doubt(s) people have much more to add to the debate but if you insist on doing so please do it in the existing thread... this ones getting closed."

now this post was in teh 'feedback' area, not in DAOC general or anywhere else that could be considered the wrong place. and yet it got closed because there was already another thread dedicated to something similar.

to be fair, i was trying to make a point about something related but on a slightly different thing, and even if i had of posted in the other thread then i wouldnt have been heard among the other load of people posting there, theres already a good 4 pages on that thread and i was just trying to ask a simple question and beable to discuss teh answer.

answering a thread then closing it before i can reply (unless the person who posted is obviosly trying to do something wrong) is a bit off considering i wasnt doing anything wrong by asking the question i did, and tbh wanted to reply to the ppl who had answered.

i ask again, has somthing changed? i am not attacking anyone when i say this, but i think that at the moment it seems as tho threads are being closed left right and center due to FH's seemingly 'spam-aphobic' outlook.

a thread that is just for fun, even if its not particualy making a life changing point but still makes ppl laugh, whats wrong with that :confused:

in another post in the feedback area someone else is attacking ppl who use do 'pointless posts'. but whats wrong with that? does every post have to make a point? cant a few people just have a laugh in a thread?

perhaps it would be worth it making a new area called 'just for a laugh' where posts are only moderated for the usual nasty stuff and or legal things, but left the pointless as it is.

to me atleast, (non violent/nasty)pointless posts are funny, they are worth reading just for to laugh, for example Tohtori's (where ever he may be) posts, they where genuinly funny. closing or deleting them just stops the oppotunity for ppl to have fun posting on a thread. is that so bad :confused:

PS. This is aimed as a question to the eOT crew. Not as a flame/critism/etc at any of the mods.

:drink:

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Dukat said:
and yet i have been posting on Freddies House for less than a week, and already a (in my opinion) perfectly reasonable post of mine has been closed because <a moderator> "doubt(s) people have much more to add to the debate but if you insist on doing so please do it in the existing thread... this ones getting closed."

Because there is already a very long whine thread open for everyone to voice their opinions, thus making a 2nd thread is pointless :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi Dukat... I'll just add a couple of comments being the mod in question, to help you understand, then the rest of the eOT crew can come and add their own thoughts/views/criticism as they see fit ;)

The key difference between FH and BW (Game.net) is that FH has no corporate backing and hence no corporate ties also (which is a good thing as content-wise the boards can have a fairly relaxed CoC). Being volunteer hosted and run though, it does mean that there could be concerns over bandwidth costs (particularly from 23rd when the rest of BW forum users are expected to migrate over too) in the future.

In addition, and more specifically about the thread I closed, we'd already seen requests from others to keep the feedback forum as on-topic as possible so that the requests for changes are as clear as posible to the admins. The point you raised had already been discussed at great length in the other thread and was still ongoing. It makes sense for all of the differing viewpoints on a topic like that to be kept in the same thread for ease of reading and to weigh up the opinions, and you had already posted in the main thread at the time, so rather than merge the threads (and hence adding your views into the main thread a second time) I closed the new thread and explained why. I hope that explains it better. :)

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
I think I said it better Jup, and in far less words :D

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
[QUOTE='Shy]I think I said it better Jup, and in far less words :D[/QUOTE]

Ahhh... but his way I don't have to mod myself for mindless quick replies...

:eek2:

Doh!

*bans self*

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Jupitus said:
Hi Dukat... I'll just add a couple of comments being the mod in question, to help you understand, then the rest of the eOT crew can come and add their own thoughts/views/criticism as they see fit ;)

The key difference between FH and BW (Game.net) is that FH has no corporate backing and hence no corporate ties also (which is a good thing as content-wise the boards can have a fairly relaxed CoC). Being volunteer hosted and run though, it does mean that there could be concerns over bandwidth costs (particularly from 23rd when the rest of BW forum users are expected to migrate over too) in the future.

In addition, and more specifically about the thread I closed, we'd already seen requests from others to keep the feedback forum as on-topic as possible so that the requests for changes are as clear as posible to the admins. The point you raised had already been discussed at great length in the other thread and was still ongoing. It makes sense for all of the differing viewpoints on a topic like that to be kept in the same thread for ease of reading and to weigh up the opinions, and you had already posted in the main thread at the time, so rather than merge the threads (and hence adding your views into the main thread a second time) I closed the new thread and explained why. I hope that explains it better. :)

yep, much better :D

I can see now the reasons for it a bit more clearer, i suppose i should have used a PM to a mod instead of a post in teh feedback section, and i agree that the debate splitting into two posts wouldnt serve any purpose. i suppose i had become a bit blaze' about posting since BW, indeed the name 'spammer' at times could have applied to me, and i will try to make sure i curb my spamming ways

The main thing that prompted me into writing the rant was the actual closing of the thread, i have seen alot of other threads closed and was just wondering if the overall emphasis of FH was more of an "Anti spam" outlook than giving the "benefit of the doubt". i see that as the funding has gone there is the bandwidth factor, and i just felt that the question needed to be asked, thanks for answering it :D

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
I'd say that the mods have mellowed out considerably since FH started. I think this place is begining to settle down at last.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Sissyfoo said:
I'd say that the mods have mellowed out considerably since FH started. I think this place is begining to settle down at last.

Yeah.. right.

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
btw what is IBTL? something something till later? .. sorry thats 1 i never did bother to learn :(

/off_topic

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
"I Bet Tilda Locks" was the secret underground meaning over on BW, he is a bit less powercrazed now that hes found a woooman though, so I suppose it doesnt apply anymore.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Ooo just noticed that Flesh got banned again. Wonder what he did this time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom