Rant Climate change exploitation and all that bollocks

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Fucking hell, these links just get even more tenuous. Alright lads, we need to study some random shit, how can we link it into climate change so we can get some funding?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23538771

I think history might have something to say about that. We aren't more violent than we have been in the past we are just more efficient at killing. Despite the odd scuffle in the middle east we are living though one of the most peaceful times in history. Violence in society is also falling.

This kind of bullshit is what gives any legitimate study into any perceived climate change a bad name. Nothing but a bunch of chancers looking for funding for their pointless study, as per 90% of these idiotic studies.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
There is actually historical evidence to support this. The most violent period across the world in the last 1000 years was the 17th century; the so-called "Little Ice Age"; I read a rather good book about this quite recently:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BQZ1UHK/ref=oh_d__o04_details_o04__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously climate change in and of itself isn't the only reason for increased conflict, but there's a really strong correlation around (and within) this period.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That would be a single event causing food shortages and famine...and thus people fighting over what is left, which is fine and understandable, not necessarily linked to any gradual change in the climate. What they are talking about is people starting conflicts or being a bit rapey because they are a bit hot. When in fact it is most probably other things like economy, population density, my god is better than your god nonsense etc.

It's not just this study, they are all at it. Find some remote link to climate change and get free funding. It's not proper science it is using the system to pay the bills. I would go as far as saying it is anti-science because it all muddies the water so much.

People with genuine research struggle to get heard over all the rubbish.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I Think raven is completely right. All these tenuous studies, and where it's been proved that figures have been ridged just makes it more difficult for "proper" science to vet it's voice heard. There are too many political and special interest groups involved now for any rational debate to be had.

When I was a kid I remember seeing white dog poo everywhere, you don't see it now. That must be because of climate change, please give me a massive grant to prove this.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The whol global warming is a bollocks study to begin with, so all attached are minibollocks by default.

rynnor

Rockhound
The problem for scientists is that there are few funds available for research.

Govts want research which either directly brings some return or supports their political ideas.

Companies want research they can turn into products.

Its no wonder scientists try to align their research to fit one of these funds gates.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I suppose it's similar to the public sector and the creation of jobs for the sake of creating jobs. They serve no real purpose but to provide jobs/money for individuals. We would be better off without them.

Why don't they study something useful and try and attract money? The government keep banging on about climate change but any money raised for research seems to end up in some tin pot study looking into something utterly meaningless. They should be studying the true causes of any climate change and whether it is man made, only then can they find ways to stop it (If indeed it needs to be/can be stopped)

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The idea that Mankind has had any meaningful impact on global warming is extreme hubris. Yes we've done a number on the Ozone layer but afaik it's now repairing itself since we stopped using CFCs in such abundance. As for every other greenhouse gas we emit, well iirc the Mount St Helens eruption released more greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere than Man has in our entire history.

I'll look around for links to support it but I'm fairly sure there is geological evidence that the Earth warms up and cools down in a pretty regular cycle. If Governments stopped spending so much money on pointless environmental studies and started throwing money at serious research into sustainable power, we'd be sorted inside a decade.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
The Register link is much better - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/02/study_find_link_between_climate_disruptions_and_violence/

The BBC article doesn't make it clear but they aren't talking about the "climate change" the greens bleat on about. All these scientists are saying is that historically there is a correlation between a change-of-climate and incidences of violence, nothing more. They don't even say what the mechanism is or that we're all doomed due to global warming.

Frankly you lot have got into as big a frenzy as the tree-huggers over a fairly standard dry academic paper :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I was talking more in general, this is just the latest study to correlate something or other to climate change.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Hey..dont come crying to me when Britain turns into a tropical paradise with palm trees and hula hula girls..cos thats what will happen if you dont recycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom