Cleric/pally or Cleric/merc

Siden

Fledgling Freddie
I'm a n00b been playing for 3 days now and I've come to a tricky decision time. Which is the most effective combo for levelling up in PvE and still being good in RvR of the following two? :-

Cleric/Pally

Cleric will be a buffbot type set up (assuming mostly enhance spec'd?). Pally will be 48 chant and sword'n'board.

Cleric/Merc

Cleric will be a buffbot set up again. Merc will probably be crush to 20 then re-spec to slash and then final re-spec to thrust at 40, but really not sure. It's all a bit of a mystery to me.

I think I prefer killing people to keeping them alive :flame: , but want the most effective of the two combos

Thanks,
Skek.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
id say if u want to kill mobs fast merc but u will have to rest after every kill... on the other had get a necro to 50 and just pl one;)

merc for speed, but if your thinking about the end game RvR and farming Dia mobs for cash etc... then Pally...Pally's may be slower but last waaay longer and can take waay harder mobs..

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Mercs may kill faster but they then have downtime for end regen, a Paladin with a cleric can kill without downtime although the time taken for each mob is considerably slower.

Would need some tests to see if killtime+downtime per mob is less for merc though :)

Talifer

Fledgling Freddie
For PvE the Paladin is infinitely better than the Mercenary. Yes the Mercenary does more damage, but as a duo you'll want to be taking orange/red/purple mobs down for cap xp, the Mercenary WILL run out of endurance, long before the mob is dead while the Paladin will go on and on (Unless you plan on drinking lots of potions, which is a very real possibility). The Paladin is also a much better protective tank than the Mercenary, there's not too many things a Mercenary can do if a mob starts beating on the cleric, this makes the Paladin much, much better at recovering in bad situations. Add to this RAs like faith heal and you'll see the Paladin really is a PvE god.

RvR is way to situational to say one way or the other, you wont get very far as a duo anyway, Mercenaries are fotm for tank groups, but are useless with no Paladin. Again if you're duoing the Paladin has a much better chance to protect the Cleric, but can't get determination so is eliminated easier. It really depends on how you intent to RvR

Talifer

Siden

Fledgling Freddie

Thanks all :worthy: will be sticking with Pally, and will just have to get used to that horrible sound of a miss :(

I'll almost certainly ditch one or other of the chars once I get to level 50, but want to get there pretty quickly as I'm waaaay behind the curve and may never catch up :D

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Siden said:
Merc will probably be crush to 20 then re-spec to slash and then final re-spec to thrust at 40, but really not sure. It's all a bit of a mystery to me.
Don't do that, go crush til 40 or 48, no matter what you think you want to spec in later.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom