cleaning the keyboard

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
last time i attempted this i nearly vomitted from watching all the debris fall out.

its got to that point now where i feel if i dont clean it again soon im gonna to wake up and find a new breed of life crawling from it.

what is the most efficient and non-vomit inducing method to clean it?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I usually hoover mine out, and if i need to clean the surface i use a damp cloth.

I can't imgaine why, but I can picture lots of spunk stains on your keyboard.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i pick off all the keys, laying them out in teh same order so i don't mix 'em up

then wipe it out

Embattle

FH is my second home
wyrd_fish said:
i pick off all the keys, laying them out in teh same order so i don't mix 'em up

then wipe it out

I use this method, although a long time ago I used this special foam that would rise and drag the crap up.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Yep, the one time I did I removed all the keys and nearly died from the quantity of hair and other gunk that had accumulated (proof)

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Oh jeez! What did u do, shave a cat over your kb? :-/

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
rofl Ben, that's awful! :eek7:

Kryten

Old Cow.
Just done mine. Feels odd, having a keyboard that feels "plonk plonk" when you hit the keys rather than "splat splat splurge". Mostly breadcrumb, chocolate and hair. I don't know who's or where from.

Just pull the keys out - after 20 years of keyboard bashing I should know where all the keys go :D

Have a toothbrush and make up brush purely for this job.

tris-

i really dont want to pull the keys out. just looking at it now makes me feel uneasy.

using the hoover method, how likely is it a key or two will get sucked up?

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Not likely if you are using the fine nozzle attachment. Quite likely if the keyboard is placed on the floor and then having a whacking great hoover drive violently over it.
Just lock the door to the room and pop the keys out - placing them on a table in the proper layout. Won't take long.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
I'm amazed there's a very constructive conversation going on about how to clean kbs :)

If my kb looked anything like Shovel's did I'd be inclined to incinerate the old one and buy a new one.

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
Buy a cheap keyboard.... then toss it when it geats to nasty to use ^^

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
tris- said:
using the hoover method, how likely is it a key or two will get sucked up?

We have a powerful kirby hoover and using the brush nozzle is fine, none of the keys get sucked up.

tris-

this is with 2 keys off. do you seriously think i want to take them all off and see whats there?

leggy

Probably Scottish
Kryten said:
Have a toothbrush and make up brush purely for this job.

Hey man, we'll believe you on this occasion.

Next time though, try not to pretend the tweezers are for removing the keys.

taB

Part of the furniture
I'm a bad person & subscribe to the shocking disposable culture evident in the western world when it comes to manky keyboards!

The one I like is 6 quid, a new one every 18 months when I'm buying other stuff doesn't adversely affect the bank balance too much.

Ben.

tris-

i took to using the hoover. its a cheapo one so sadly no alternative attachments are provided.

i took the big end bit of and stuck the tube all over the keys. thankfully no keys were lost.

visually it looks cleaner. all those little bits have come right out. on popping off a few keys, there is larger 'blobs' of unknown substance still stuck in there. and larger loose bits that wont come out even when shaken violently. how they got there in the first place is anyones guess.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
...there is larger 'blobs' of unknown substance still stuck in there. and larger loose bits that wont come out even when shaken violently...

Burn it, burn it, u know u want to.

tris-

Noc0de said:
Burn it, burn it, u know u want to.

i dont really want to. this Kb costs about 25-30 and i got as a present :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Take better care of it then. :eek:

I shake my keyboard upside down until I can't hear stuff rattling under the keys. :(

tris-

its about as clean as its getting.

apart from burning it and listening to the screams of the tiny civilization in my keyboard, i cant get it any clener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom