Classifieds Forum

leggy

Probably Scottish
Xtro's pimping question has raised the question of a classifieds forum again (as per thedvdforums.co.uk)

What does everyone think of this? Obviously it was a no goer at game.net but surely now it is possible. We buy and sell our second hand wares amongst people we know and love (*cough*).

I am all for it. It is very successful over at the DVDforums and would be a welcome addition to the community.

Please whack a few of your opinions here and let us know what you think.

Leggy.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Will mean a fair bit of modding but I'd like it here.

As you know I use dvdforums a lot and have not had a single prob in 70+ trades. Still, its a trust system...:)

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
A bloody good idea.

Obviously well moderated to keep it sensible and legal in some cases.

Go for it.

Will

/bin/su
If only the reputation system worked, since this is exactly what it is designed for.

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
AVForums do this with great success.

It is heavily moderated, as it should be, and all trading is carried out in the open (PMs are used for addresses and payment details).

It's a good idea, but I'd be hesitant buying/selling to anybody I didn't know as a regular, especially without a trader/reputation system in place.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Will said:
If only the reputation system worked, since this is exactly what it is designed for.

I thought the rep system did work? Its the brains of the DAoC players that dont.

Introduce the Classifieds forum, reinstate the Rep System, close the DAoC forums / ban all the users. Problem solved.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Cdr said:
I thought the rep system did work? Its the brains of the DAoC players that dont.

Introduce the Classifieds forum, reinstate the Rep System, close the DAoC forums / ban all the users. Problem solved.

Ive tried and tried CDR, but I cannot see a downside in your proposals ;)

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Can the reputation system be installed on a forum by forum basis?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
SoWat said:
Can the reputation system be installed on a forum by forum basis?
Hi SoWat

At last check the reputation system could not be enabled on a forum by forum basis by default, but it was possible to write a little code which effectively said 'if this forum is x,y or z then display the reputation controls, if not, then hide them'. So it depends if someone wants to write that code (just a line or two, I believe).

Kind Regards

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
You don't even really need the rep system, especially since you can only give X positive, meaning that if you trade/sell a lot you'll not be able to give anymore rep.

SA has a large trading section and they just keep a sticky at the top of the forum where you post the results of all trades. If you want to check someone's rep then you simply do a search for their name in that thread and voila, all the past trades pop up.

If this is put in place I vote certain members are disbarred from taking part. 'sup Xavier?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Aye, all for it - all of the regs around here trust each other enough on a general level to know who and how to deal with it all...

But yes, no Xav please if they go ahead. :D

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
I don't see why not, I've used it a few times to much success over at the dvdforums, with a bit of work I can't see why it shouldn't be even better over here with a bit of thought into the mechanics. When's Sheepcow gonna start the hacking?

Damini

Part of the furniture
I'm not convinced it's a good idea. It's all very well when everything is running like a bring and buy sale run by characters from Enid Blyton, but when things go wrong (as they have done in the past with in forum trading) then if you dare to publicly mention this it turns to accusations, threats of legal action of libel, and all kinds of assorted bollocks.

When things are going swimmingly, it works. However, when things don't go so well it puts enormous pressure on the people running the forums. Why not have a trading forum that purely links to threads on e-bay, or whatever auction people use? At least then you have unbiased people overlooking the whole thing, rather than members of the very same community that are trading.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Read the dvdforums T&C's if you can Lou (www.thedvdforums.com).

Very comprehensive, you'd need those here, they work like clockwork.

Its down to users dealing with users at the end of the day, and everything is covered in there.

They've banned 8 users in years of trading and they have something insane like 30-40k users (prob more since I checked).

Damini

Part of the furniture
Well, I'm biased from the amount of shite that went on for ever and a day from forum trading, so personally know that it can go tits up and rotten, and that presents it's own set of problems within a community. When the forum has no way of evaluating a sale, no way of seeing who tells the truth and who is lying, then how do you evaluate the trust worthyness of people trading? On who has been in the community longest? Who has the highest status? I think it can descend into rumours, bitch slapping and PR campaigns if there isn't some formal mode of giving feedback, and punishing people that abuse the system, and I can't really see a relatively small quirky little community like this one being able to carry an incredibly formal system like that.

P.S. Your link is a bit dead :) Leads to a Come Back Later type affair.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Damini said:
P.S. Your link is a bit dead :) Leads to a Come Back Later type affair.

Oops sorry about that, link fixed :)

Try now, and have a gander.

The bottom line is that ALL deals must be done on the board, NOTHING should be done by PM or email. The thing is though, thedvdforums have disabled PM's... and obviously this aint gonna happen here. Anyway that way everything is in the open.

I know what you're saying, and I know about past experiences too :)

I personally know exactly who I would deal with and have indeed dealt with Ono, Leggy, Trem etc. Ono especially has been a fking STAR and without him I wouldnt have got holds of loads of consoley stuff. Mind you, I'd have more money! ;)

Damini

Part of the furniture
I imagine Ono's house to look like that scene in Labyrinth, where all the walls are just collapsing with junk, except instead of junk it's heaps upon heaps of console stuff. Gamecubes falling through the ceiling. A coffee table made entirely of PS2s.

In my mind, you'd open Ono's fridge and find a pint of milk balanced on top of this: http://www.penny-arcade.com/childsplay/53.htm

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Damini said:
I imagine Ono's house to look like that scene in Labyrinth, where all the walls are just collapsing with junk, except instead of junk it's heaps upon heaps of console stuff. Gamecubes falling through the ceiling. A coffee table made entirely of PS2s.

In my mind, you'd open Ono's fridge and find a pint of milk balanced on top of this: http://www.penny-arcade.com/childsplay/53.htm

:eek6:

You've been to his house!!!

That picture is not far off* that he has loads of stuff to get rid of!

*Appart from it not being that tidy...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok,

Enough is enough. We have already warned 1 user for making remarks about Xavier and the past, whether it is true or not it stops right now on these forums.

If you HAVE an issue with him, take it to the police. These forums are not fucking playgrounds where kids can throw accusations at one another.

If you don't like it, don't post. If you have an issue with this, talk direct to me.

Damini

Part of the furniture
That's what I was saying, in a way, if you have trading on the forums then all deals become in-forum politics, and then everything becomes really tense and things can get too personal and boil down to heresay and conjecture if anything goes wonkey.

If people want to have a trading forum, fair enough, I was just voicing my opinion from having born witness to things going less than civil on both sides that it might be better if the actual trading was done on nuetral ground to avoid all of this kind of tizwaz in the future.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
A suggestion i've heard and rather liked is to follow the same thread as the matrox users forums.

Basically that all participants post their items on ebay but at the same time start a thread pimping and linking their sale in a subforum dedicated to the purpose.

That way forum users can pimp their stuff to the community and via their thread or pms give more information that they might not necessarily include in the auction itself, such as a price they'll happily close the sale for. At the same time their item is being pimped to world+dog so if noone in the forum is interested they've still a good chance of a sale.

The added bonus is that the forums themselves don't play a part in closing the transaction, they remain neutral, and buyers/sellers have access to all the excellent arbitration tools were things to go sour...

The idea of an ebay kit pimp forum was something i was going to suggest anyhow as people have already done as much in the past directly in the hardware forum, but it might be better located within general, especially when i think back to how big a bunch of ebay whores you lot all were at game/bw. :D

Xav

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Okay then..... moving on from Emb's post...

I think the idea of an ebay pimping forum may work here. You can then judge people on their ebay feedback, plus any opinions you had of them carried over from the forums.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
So DBs, can we have an eBay pimp forum? Can we? Can we? Can we?

heh.

Xav

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom