Classical

O

old.ignus

Just wondering if Im the only one who listens to a bit of classical music?

T

Tom

I regularly listen to Mozart and Beethoven. Symphony no.25 in G is very good.

F

FatBusinessman

Yeah, I listen to classical sometimes. Requiems mostly, 'cos I'm a cheery bugger like that :)

T

Tom

Mozart's Requiem Mass is beautiful, particularly the Lacrimosa bit.

/edit: of course, I meant Lacrymosa

O

old.ignus

One of my favourites would have to be Mozarts clarinet concerto or rachmaninov's rhapsody on a theme of paganini, but those are the relaxing ones.
My fav of all time has to be Beethoven's ode to joy, it makes me do a sex wee.

R

ReActor

I try every so often to get into Classical, but it just doesn't work.

I mean, most of the anthemic pieces that people know (Ode To Joy, Barber's Adagio, Holst's Planets etc) are great, but anything slightly more obscure and my brain switches off.

My parents are major Classical fans so the music has always been around, but they've never managed to make me actually like it. Having said that, when out driving I do switch to Classic FM more and more often when Radio 1 starts to grate (if it's during the daytime that's usually after about 2 minutes).

T

Tom

Can I suggest you go and watch Amadeus, a film loosely based on the life of Mozart. Very good film (lots of Oscars), with a great score. Then, if you like that, buy the soundtrack album.

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
Mozart's Requiem Mass is beautiful, particularly the Lacrimosa bit.

He speaketh truly. :)

T

Tom

Not forgetting, of course, Mass in C Minor, Kyrie

C

Clowneh!

i dont really know any technical terms so bear with me :)

i like classical music but im not really into them big orchestral symphony things, im more into the classical music that has just one instrument.

like piano music or strings.

and i dont know any names of any classical cuz i just dont. but i still like it :)

can anyone advise me on the kinda classical music that i like? :p
tell me a name of a 'song'

OH MY GOD IM EMBARRASED I CANT TALK PROPER

O

old.ignus

Well clowneh for piano try Beethoven's moonlight sonata or Debbusy's Claire De Lune. I'm not too sure on other single instument compositions as only the piano and the acoustic guitar can stand alone without backup instruments but as I previously mentioned Mozart's clarinet concerto is mainly the clarinet and relaxes me so much I have to sit on the toilet to listen to it.

R

ReActor

Originally posted by Clowneh!
i dont really know any technical terms so bear with me :)

i like classical music but im not really into them big orchestral symphony things, im more into the classical music that has just one instrument.

like piano music or strings.

and i dont know any names of any classical cuz i just dont. but i still like it :)

can anyone advise me on the kinda classical music that i like? :p
tell me a name of a 'song'
Well, from my limited knowledge I would suggest Eric Satie. He wrote some great piano music. And you'd recognise 'Gymnopedie' instantly.

Names are difficult when it comes to classical music because a lot of composers just used numbers.

Look into Bach. He wrote loads of solo stuff for piano and cello. BBC2 has been showing short performances of these pieces for quite a few years now and they're generally really impressive (though, as I said earlier, not really my thing).

And there's a lot more out there. A hell of a lot more.

C

Clowneh!

MOONLIGHT SONATA!
dun dun dun dun dun dund udnd dundundundun

thats me singing it :)

heeehehe i know this one it was on some advert :D

C

Clowneh!

oh yeh violins and chellos and that stuff is nice too

X

xane

I increasingly listen to classical radio stations rather than the crap peddled by other "popular" ones, listening to some moron babble on for around 20 minutes before you hear another silly tune by the latest boy band is not my idea of entertainment any more.

I like anything really, although I am not that keen on sitting through an entire symphony. I do especially like Bach's stuff for harpsichord/clavier, in fact most small pieces of that time for single instruments or quartets.

Attempts to "pop" classical music usually fail, the only successful example I can think of was Sky which consisted of accomplished musicians in both popular and classical fields.

X

xane

I forgot to add my father is a big classical fan, he had a short list published in a magazine years ago of the "ultimate classical collection" covering all the famous stuff, I'll see if I can get hold of it or alternatively I'd suggest Googling for it.

W

Wij

Originally posted by xane
I increasingly listen to classical radio stations rather than the crap peddled by other "popular" ones, listening to some moron babble on for around 20 minutes before you hear another silly tune by the latest boy band is not my idea of entertainment any more.

Classic FM == teh sux tho.

Adversts followed by waffle followed by adverts followed by failed DJs / telly stars followed by a short excerpt of that piece of music you heard on that TV advert.

W

Wazzerphuk

Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi are my main classical likes - I've been known to dabble in some others though.

R

ReActor

Originally posted by Wij
Classic FM == teh sux tho.

Adversts followed by waffle followed by adverts followed by failed DJs / telly stars followed by a short excerpt of that piece of music you heard on that TV advert.
True, but it's generally easier to listen to than Radio 3.

C

Cdr

Originally posted by Clowneh!
MOONLIGHT SONATA!
dun dun dun dun dun dund udnd dundundundun

thats me singing it :)

heeehehe i know this one it was on some advert :D

It was also on Res Evil, you had to get Jill to play the piano and a door would open :D

O

old.ignus

If any of you ever get chance you want to listen to the choral arrangement of Barber's Adagi for strings, it's possibly the most beautiful piece of music you could ever hear. They used a speeded up version in homeworld that was a bit gay but the normal speed version is fantastico.

J

Jupitus

There is some awesome music out there that almost anyone would enjoy listening to if they knew where to look.

For the guy who says he likes piano on it's own I'd suggest listening to a collection of studies (aka 'etudes') wirtten by Chopin. These are technically chalenging to play well and designed to be, but beautiful to listen to aswell :)

Personally, I'm a big fan of all music, but in the classical area some of my favourites are:

Zadok the Priest - Handel (choral piece but has a fantastic set of harmonic changes through the organ introduction)

Variations on a theme by Tallis - Vaughn Williams (very atmospheric... amazing piece)

Jupiter, the bringer of jollity - loosely where I got my name (though recent timjes I've not been so jolly myself) and from Gustav Holst's PLanets Suite. A.K.A 'I vow to thee my country'.

The Adagion from Spartacus - written by a chap called Khachaturian this is better known as the theme from the Onedin line tv series. I particularly loved playing lead trumpet in an orchestra performing this as it contains a seriously hard passage to play well but sounds absoutely phenomenol as the trumpet sings out over the rest of the orchestra.

Meeting time... hope some of you find some here that you like :)

S

Sir Frizz

Beethoven - Moonlight Pano Sonata #14
Vivaldi - Summer from the four season 3
Bach - Air on the G String
Elgar - Pomp and Circumstance 'Land of Hope and Glory'
Elgar - Enigma 'Nimrod'

A

Ash!

I really do like Classical Music. I am like Clowneh though in the respect that I dont know what composer did what etc etc. What I find fascinating is how some of the composers visualised the music. I mean how did that guy bring that peice of music together to make it in to Mars from the planets. Quite remarkable indeed.

I love Handells Messiah which really gets me in the Xmas spirit when its on full whack through the stereo.

I Listen to classic FM into work and on the journey home. What is a better alternative :confused:

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by Ash!
I really do like Classical Music. I am like Clowneh though in the respect that I dont know what composer did what etc etc. What I find fascinating is how some of the composers visualised the music. I mean how did that guy bring that peice of music together to make it in to Mars from the planets. Quite remarkable indeed.

I love Handells Messiah which really gets me in the Xmas spirit when its on full whack through the stereo.

I Listen to classic FM into work and on the journey home. What is a better alternative :confused:

Feel free to post themes you'd like identifying and we can try to find the composer and work... could be a fun competition :)

Gustav Holst wrote the Planets Suite, and it's fairly well known. Odd thing about Mars (the bringer of war) is the time chosen. I can't remember precisely, but it's like a 5/4 beat (5 beats per bar) which gives it a very distinctive feel. It's difficult to play for that reason, since most music would be in a more standard 4/4 or 3/4 rhythm. I like the way different themes thread through it and intertwine with one another.

Jupiter is still my favourite though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread