Clarification of Forum Rules

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I would like a clarification of the forum rules regarding the posting and discussion of information that GOA/Mythic might not want. FH is not run by GOA but if IainC and Magnus are to continue to post here then I suspect certain rules will have to be followed. So far the only real information regarding what is allowed I found here:

From my own perspective, I am somewhat disappointed in alot of the already inflammatory posting being made and I plan to close some threads which I feel are not very constructive. Please note: this is my decision as a FH admin, and not at the bequest of GOA themselves. I will also be reinforcing some earlier commitments I made when we first created this Warhammer forum area in line with preventing it becoming an unruly and flame-ridden forum as happened, at times, with the DAOC section. With this in mind, please try to make sure that your posts are kept polite and constructive, then I am sure we will avoid any unwanted mod-stick moments ;)

While this addresses the nature of our posts it does not really cover what is permitted content.

The reality is that as we play WAR there will be information leaks and unintended features/bugs/exploits will be found. The patch 4.1 notes is an obvious example. It takes all of 30 seconds to find a complete list of the notes using google but people don't want to talk about it here incase they get banned. Similarly when the bunny hopping exploit was shown there were some people calling for "exploiters" to be banned. However if that particular bug isn't fixed we all know that half the game will be bunny hopping around. People will probably post guides to do encounters and if you look at the ones from DaoC most of those guides involved ways to do the encounter using significantly less people than intended. Alot of the RvR discussion often involved tactics (strafing, tendril spamming etc) that could be considered cheating too. This problem will also be significantly worse than in DaoC because in DaoC the GOA patches were behind Mythic.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
The forum rules boil down to 4 simple words:

Dont be a ****

If youve got just a little common sense you can work out the rest.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
The forum rules boil down to 4 simple words:

Dont be a ****

If youve got just a little common sense you can work out the rest.

Common sense would dictate that I would be allowed to speak about something that is not illegal, is going to be released officially shortly and has been posted all over the rest of the internet.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
We will generally support GOA's stance on most matters as they understand our rules and policies and don't try to make us change them.... by and large we don't encourage any form of cheating and if that means trying to prevent the spread of exploits we will do so (these are much better reported directly to GOA through their support, not posted publicly for all to see and try). If we have things which may be 'considered borderline', we would usually ask the GOA chaps what their stance is, and again back that stance unless we felt very strongly against it... at the end of the day it is better for us all to have the GOA folks on board here and providing input that not.

Mostly it is common sense, but I guess if you are in doubt about whether something would break the rules or not you could PM a mod first, or maybe just not post it :)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
From my perspective:

Putting aside the normal rules that are common to most forums, we have discussed with the FH mod crew how we can participate. If we are participating actively in a site then that gives the site a perception of 'officialness'. Obviously if we're giving that sort of stamp to a website then we have to be careful about the kind of things that are discussed there. If FH was allowing discussion of exploits, links to warez, hacks and other things that were against our terms of use then it would be difficult for Magnus and I to justify to our boss why we were participating there.

The FH guys understand this and, as they too mostly share our views on cheating, exploits and other shady stuff, they don't allow that kind of thing here. I'm pretty sure that would be the case even if Magnus and I weren't around here. There will be sites that discuss rule-breaking stuff and of course they won't get any kind of recognition from us. FH works with us and we are pleased to support them by giving them free stuff to give away, exclusives, press trips and our attention. They benefit, you benefit, we benefit and everyone is happy.

We don't ask the admins for an easy ride here, we don't hide behind them when people say nasty stuff about us or the company we work for. We welcome constructive criticism and we accept that it's impossible to please everybody and that some people will always be able to find fault. We take the feedback and we learn from it. Unconstructive criticism however is trolling and whether it's about us, the game, other posters or whatever, then it doesn't belong on any reasonable forum.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Common sense would dictate that I would be allowed to speak about something that is not illegal, is going to be released officially shortly and has been posted all over the rest of the internet.

Ahh - so this is about the patch notes?

There was a mix up and they should not have been posted publically. In support of that we will not (yet) encourage discussion about them here, nor allow them posted. Yes, we realise this might be a bit anal but it's a decision we have made.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Ahh - so this is about the patch notes?

There was a mix up and they should not have been posted publically. In support of that we will not (yet) encourage discussion about them here, nor allow them posted. Yes, we realise this might be a bit anal but it's a decision we have made.

It is not about the patch notes, the patch notes simply highlight the problem and this problem will come up time and time again. My common sense would dictate that certainly in this situation, the information is out in the open, we should be allowed to discuss it. By not allowing it you are just discouraging people from using the forum.

I fully agree that the discussion of things that are obviously against the game rules won't be allowed but there is a vast grey area. There will be lots of unintended features which in my opinion should be allowed to be discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom