Civilization: Beyond Earth

Adari

Part of the furniture
Hello,

Is anyone playing the new Civ? I've only spent a few hours with it, but so far i love how immersive and fresh it is. I like the affinity and quest systems. They make each game feel different, whereas in Civ5 I found myself often repeating the same play style. I would consider this a very enjoyable and rich variant of Civ5 (but not a successor). I don't get why the menus and stuff look like they came from a 90's C&C game though.

Only e. 37 for dutchies at mediamarkt btw.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
On my to get list for sure, civ V in a more interesting enviroment and only heard other good things about it.

Not in near future though, unless santa brings me stuff :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Thought about it but will probably pick it up when the expansions are out, got enough to play atm and not a huge amount of time for gaming.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thought about it but will probably pick it up when the expansions are out,

This tbh.

I've got CivV and all the expansions and spent a lot of time on it. This time next year the gold edition will be out for this and it'll be in the xmas sales for a fiver. They've done most of the development for this off CivV and I don't want to pay full for it.

Also, there'll be lots of gameplay that they'll iron out with patches.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
tis a fantastic game. spiritual successor to alpha centauri obviously. plays like a dream...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This tbh.

I've got CivV and all the expansions and spent a lot of time on it. This time next year the gold edition will be out for this and it'll be in the xmas sales for a fiver. They've done most of the development for this off CivV and I don't want to pay full for it.

Also, there'll be lots of gameplay that they'll iron out with patches.

Good points really. If i bought it now it would sit in my steam library for half a year atleast(after a hour or two try) and then the supreme meg deluxe edition would be indeed half(if not more) price on summer sales.

I think these days it's best to look at a release date(for anything other then mmo's etc) and add half a year as a real release date :p

Also could be a nice move from a game company, say that the release will not be perfect and that they'll use the next 6 months using sales to improve and add stuff. Kind of a turn-a-round early access.

Though that would end up in companies like EA releasing shoddy games on that excuse and ruining the whole nice idea.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I played for 4 hours last night, hoping to do another 4-5 tonight. I like it a lot so far. The early days are dangerous, your explorers get gobbled up by evil local worms and what not. So far, I've not had to engage the natives that much, but I'm out of space to colonize apart from an area that is teeming with aliens, so the time may come to put them to the sword.

I like the upgrade paths for units, currently going down a supremacy path, but could all change.

One thing I'm noticing is that health is the new happiness of Civ5. Poor health can cripple your empire, and I'm struggling to keep healthy. I built a load of biowells (farms that generate health but cost money to maintain), so then my economy took a dive.

There's been a few AI wars so far, but nothing conclusive, not sure why the AI goes to war when it doesn't have the capacity to take another city. I am just playing super conservative, with artillery and air units in all my cities, with a few highly mobile units that can cross my empire in one turn.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I have a better handle on it now that I've played one game through to completion. I like it a lot, but certain things, like trade routes, seems a bit overpowered. The AI actually beat me to the victory.... Of course, they'd been going for emancipation victory all game, and I started on step 1 around turn 400.... Easy enough to catch up when you have a massive research & industrial empire, but frustrating that you cannot see the victory steps ahead of time. If I had known I needed to get 1000 worth of unit strength through the gate, I'd have just invaded ARC, who had finished the gate 40 turns before me and destroyed their gate. As it was, I needed just 98 points... a single Angel Prime unit.

Only played as PAC so far, the virtues tree seems pretty interesting. Went balls deep into industry the first game. Going wide in the second game, doesn't seem to make much difference, I have less cash on hand, but more culture and science.

One cool thing that happened was Franco Siberia getting invaded by Brasilia.... 9 battleships and 5 air carriers with some embarked land units invaded from half a world away. Not seen that in a Civ game before.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I played Civ 5 a lot but partly because of that I'm going to wait for BE to go on offer or the first expansions like the others in the thread.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Second game is almost over, played on a standard Pangea style map with everyone in the same boat. Kinda strange how that affected the colonisation speed, at turn 400 ARC still have only their capital, African dudes have 2, and Franco Iberia had 3 and only just put down another 3. The others are 4-6. Meanwhile, I was on 6 at turn 200 and 9 at turn 300 and 12+ by turn 400. I have room for another 4-5 cities, but will likely win the game way before that.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What's invading like? In Civ5 I kept getting boxed in and had little choice but to fight to expand, I would just send wave after wave at a city and it wouldn't fall. It got pretty frustrating at times.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
It's much the same as Civ 5, except due to the canyons, there are lots of bottlenecks on non Pangea maps. Only really fought 1 war and it was a one sided stomp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom