This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

City of God

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by SoWat, Jan 2, 2004.

1. SoWat

SoWat Loyal Freddie

Watched this on DVD last night, and all I can say is Bloody Hell!.

The film is set in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro, with all of the parts played by actual street kids.

It's an absolute corker of a film.

Additional material on the DVD is sparse, but the one documentary that is there is even more shocking than the film.

Highly recommended... even if it does have subtitles.

2. weevil

weevil Fledgling Freddie

city of god is a fucking class film, with one of the most squirmy parts in movie history (the torture scene)

3. Tom

Tom FH is my second home

Is it for rental in the video shops? This film I really would like to see.

4. SoWat

SoWat Loyal Freddie

I actually picked it up from HMV (it was on sale at £8.99).

5. Tom

Tom FH is my second home

ahh, I've spent a bit too much recently on DVDs, so I'll have to check out the vid shop. I just got Donnie Darko for £6.99, and Star Trek 1 Dir.cut for the same :)

6. Trem

Trem That there, that's not me. Moderator

I watched it yesterday, didn't see any torture scene. PM me if you want to lend mine Tom ;)

Its ok, it is well directed.

7. SoWat

SoWat Loyal Freddie

I wondered about the torture scene. I thought it must have happened when I was making a cuppa (though I didn't hear the wife squealing which is normally a giveaway).

I think the rape scene was censored too. Either that or my DVD player went on fast forward for a few swconds.

Doesn't detract from an excellent film though, and the documentary was pretty shocking. Not so much for the visual content, but for the attitude of the police chief (he couldn't care less if people got killed in the slums, as it wasn't his job to protect them, only the rich people!).

8. Tom

Tom FH is my second home

The BBFC must have got their mucky paws on it.

*considers importing from S.America*

9. ReActor

ReActor Fledgling Freddie

You got it for £8.99? Bargain! Definitely a class film.