Christopher Brookmyre - Gamer and top Author too.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
He's the British version of Carl Hiassen (If you've read any of him)

He's got 7 or 8 books out at the moment. Most of them contain a chunk of gaming references (he's been in and out of a Q3-CTF Clan) and he's pant-pissingly funny to boot. They're basically feel-good books for generation X. The underdogs get to kill the bad guys and save the day. Lots of guns, death, swearing and a generally viscious attack on the crapness of certain aspects of society.

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/ for more info.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
MrBlack said:
He's the British version of Carl Hiassen (If you've read any of him)

He's got 7 or 8 books out at the moment. Most of them contain a chunk of gaming references (he's been in and out of a Q3-CTF Clan) and he's pant-pissingly funny to boot. They're basically feel-good books for generation X. The underdogs get to kill the bad guys and save the day. Lots of guns, death, swearing and a generally viscious attack on the crapness of certain aspects of society.

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/ for more info.

Top author - he's got a new book out in the next month or so hasn't he? He actually namechecks BarrysWorld in A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
I like Carl Hiaasen, so I will look up some of this guys stuff thanks for the tip :D
A quick question, is it best to read his books in order ? does he have characers who appear in several like the ex-governor in Hiaasens books ?

Later

DaGaffer

Gengi said:
I like Carl Hiaasen, so I will look up some of this guys stuff thanks for the tip :D
A quick question, is it best to read his books in order ? does he have characers who appear in several like the ex-governor in Hiaasens books ?

Later

Yes. Every book can be read stand alone, but his early books are centred around a Journalist - Jack Parlabane, and the last two have featured a female detective Xavia DaCosta (although she was a peripheral character in one and centre stage in another). I didn't read the Parlabane books in order, and in hindsight I wish I had. I think his new one, out at the end of January, is a Jack Parlabane book. Like Hiaasen, most of his books are set in one locale, its just that instead of Florida its Scotland.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
His webbeh appears to be down, can you put the order of the books here for me please, they sound pretty interesting.

DaGaffer

Quite Ugly One Morning (1996) - Parlabane Novel
Country Of The Blind (1997) - Parlabane Novel
Not The End Of The World (1998) - The only one not set in Scotland
One Fine day in the Middle of the Night (1999)
Boiling a Frog (2000) - Parlabane Novel
A Big Boy Did it and Ran Away (2001)
The Sacred Art of Stealing (2003)
Be My Enemy (end Jan 2004) - Parlabane Novel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom