Photography Choosing a camera

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Seeing as many people on the forum are Camera enthusiasts I thought I would ask for some advice. The camera I currently own is several years old now (Olympus 790 SW) and is worse than the camera on my phone. I am not an enthusiast but would like to occasionally be able to take "nice" photos.

For example:
I went to New York this year, I also got to go to the Olympics in London. Both times, I found I needed something with a decent zoom.

I also want to be able to take detailed photos of objects up close. A circuit board, or maybe a dent in a car (or maybe laundry!).

I would also want something that can handle different light levels and provide accurate colours.

I am hoping that most modern cameras will do these things no problem, but there are so many on the market that I don't know where to look. My only real constraint is budget, I don't want to go over £300 because I simply don't use it enough. I want something easy to use, so automatic functions, easy to transfer images and recharge. If I did get something, I would want it to last. I am not particularly fussed about the size as I am not going to take the camera everywhere.

I have had a look at some models. I was recommended the Lumix:
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...+Cameras/DMC-TZ30/Overview/8616234/index.html

When I went and had a play with the models in John Lewis, I also quite liked the Sony models, although, I can't find the exact one I looked at (It was like the Lumix). For my budget and skill level is it even worth looking at "proper" cameras (I think they call them compact)? The sale's people in the store were useless.

Thanks for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom