chkdsk scandisk type programme

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What's a good utility for taking a long, hard look at my hard drive, detecting any bad sectors, and keeping my computer the feck away from writing anything near those sectors?

I just had a CRC problem on a uTorrent file I was downloading (fairly big one), deleting some of its contents was the only solution. Reading online it seems that regular uTorrent access may sometimes reduce the life of a HD.

I tried searching but you always find a million crap programmes all saying how brilliant they are, I'd rather take advice from people I know.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
The one provided by the hard drive manufacturer. That's right, visit their website, go to utilities or downloads, and you will find manufacturer produced and endorsed software to check-up on your disk and perform other tasks such as:

Low-level format
Bad sector scanning
Disk health checks

...and many more.

Be sure to drop by the website of your disk's manufacturer today!

Yaka

Part of the furniture
as above manufacturer util are preety good & HDDScan might be what your looking for and the guy behind is preety helpful as well

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Sod it, its starting to crash a bit more frequently. Before I lose everything I'm going to order a new HD.

I have a Gigabyte GA P35C DS3R main board. My current HD is a 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3.

Can someone recommend a drive from Scan.co.uk: Computer Hardware that I could replace it with?

Also, what software can I use to copy the whole lot across, so that I can simply unplug the old one when done, and continue as before?

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Bit late but I'll throw HD Tune into the mix, and also FreeFileSync for syncing and backup purposes. I haven't used it to backup an entire drive but I don't know why it wouldn't do it well - just set up the source folder and the destination and tell it to do it's thing.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
I have a F3 and its crap , ran every diagnostic i can find and it picks up no errors , but every few days the files on it will corrupt.

I did a new install of windows the other day and it lasted about 4 hours then when i rebooted , Chkdsk started saying drive needs to be checked for consitency and 3 files were corrupt and there was about 40-50 indexes deleted and it wouldnt boot into windows anymore , just kept restarting when you get to the log in screen.

I wanna send it back to Ebuyer but my m8 reckons i might have a problem doing that if the diagnostics arent coming up with any errors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom