chinchillas...anyone keep these?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
whatcha,

its my day for asking stuff lol, anyway do any of you keep chinchillas as pets or know any one that does? I want the low down on whats theyre like as pets, what kind of temperment they have how easy they are to care for, how expensive they are if they need vets etc etc.

many thx
xxx

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Two couples I'm friends with both keep them and they're brilliant animals (the chinchillas that is!). They do need a large habitat though and letting out often...which can cause a problem if you don't nail everything down. TV remotes facing upwards will have buttons pulled off, cigarettes in an ashtray will be stolen and eaten (don't think you smoke, just giving you an idea how daft they can be) and they'll jump just about anywhere they can to cause mischeif biting through anything exposed (including wires).

Great fun; not sure about cost of upkeep but to be honest, keeping their home clean and giving them a sandbath (they clean themselves) as well as pretty standard costing food, I can't imagine they're that pricey to keep. It's just that initial pay out for a home. Alternatively, one of the couples I know made their own place for him and it's brilliant.

And don't feed them too many raisins... Not good!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
thank you for the info guys ...i suspect i may be getting a chinchilla to accompany the jeepees when we get a house, its just a feeling i have.

Laddey

FH is my second home
aoami reminds me of a chinchilla, Ez. He could be your cuddly little toyboy

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I worked at a petshop that sold chinchillas, pretty funny animals tbh, not as good as lions but I guess they're ok!

Vae

Resident Freddy
My family used to keep and breed chinchillas. They make quite good pets but with some reservations.

They tend to be a bit skittish and aren't particularly cuddley animals. Very few will choose to sit on you or show that much affection. They will take food from you and interact with you but not to the extent of mice or rats.

They chew everything (but won't bite you) - And I mean everything. They took a large chunk out of my parents wall at one point because the corner was good for chewing. They need fairly large cages and are very fast moving. I have vivid recollections of it taking two of us to corner one behind a chair and catch them to put them back in the cage.

They generally eat food pellets and hay and require dustbaths every so often to clean. Most cages have wire cage bottoms with pull out trays on which you can put newspaper howver they should have non wire shelves as well for them to sit in or they are in danger of getting bumblefoot.

As an anecdote one chinchilla we had was epileptic and ended up being put on Phenobarbitone which is a human anti-epilepsy drug. She used to be given a raisin a day with a quarter of a tablet in it. She ended up outliving her mate and all her children. I'm convinced it is because she was half stoned all the time!

I would recommend you consider looking at Degu's. You may not have heard of them but look at some video's on youtube and google them and you'll see. They tend to be much more friendly and sociable. They need to be kept in groups and adopt you into their group. (p.s. they are vulnerable to being diabetic and need certain caging).

Ezteq

Queen of OT
haha yes i have seen them in the pet shops (degaus that is) they do look very sweet, one of the main reasons I was attracted to the idea of chinchillas is because i read they live for like 20 years...short lived pets cause so much heartache :(

though i really don't think i would be able to cope with a chinchilla after hearing first hand about them, all the "official" websites don't mention the drawbacks, they are cute though lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom