Children of Men (and particularly its current advert)

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Okay, I've seen the advert for this on TV a couple of times, and I have to say it looks rather good - it appears to be just my cup of apocalyptic tea. So: on the one hand, I want to see it.
However, anyone noticed the ridiculous amount of plot they give away in the adverts? I feel as though I know virtually the entirety of what happens in the film, now, and that really shouldn't have happened. So: on the other hand, I'm not sure I can be bothered, having had the story neatly summarised for me already.

It would be nice if the adverts were intentionally (albeit perhaps misguidedly) misleading and THAT WAS JUST THE BEGINNING! or something, but I'm far too cynical to take that for granted and them fucking up the ad campaign by giving away the key points of the entire plot (and its conclusion) seems more likely. Anyone care to prove otherwise? (Edit: without providing even more massive, throbbing spoilers if possible.)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I would say go for it :)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I'm getting increasingly pissed off with the people who make trailers for films. They show far too much of the film and, like you say, end up summarising the whole film from beginning to end. This mentality is invading TV too. Battlestar Galactica show a preview of the entire show just after the credits. WTF is the point in that? I'm watching the episode to find out what happens! I don't want to be given a flash-download of the entire plot before I watch it.

It's gotten so I avoid watching trailers and turn away/change channels when the trailer for a film I want to see and already know too much about comes on.

But back on topic, Children of Men does look fairly good. Been looking forward to it for a while but totally agree with you about the trailers these days.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Agree Kenny it is shit what they show in tralers noawdays.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Saw this yesterday and I must say - it was absolutely fantastic

the battle in the streets at the end was jaw dropping in the cinema

Also, the trailer really doesn't give away too much , believe me - there's still plenty of twists and surprises in the film.

See it on the big screen, you won't be disappointed

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
Agreed. Top notch film. I think its one that just has to be watched int he cinema too.

All i knew of the film was fromt he end of a review by Johnathon Ross on Film 2006. He was raving about it in the 30 secs I saw.

Why were they driving to Bexhill via Canterbury? Oh and i'm pretty sure that road wasn't in or around Canterbury :p

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Just saw this at the cinema last night.

It's fucking brilliant. Go see it now. Go see it if you're a fan of war movies, go see it if you're a fan of dramas, go see it if you're into politics, go see it if you want to see the battle scenes in HL2 (without the tripods). JUST GO SEE IT!

Damini

Part of the furniture
Just bought the DVD, and watched it for the second time (first time in the cinema with WPKenny).

I can't rave enough about this film. There is just so much about it that is pitch perfect, the level of detail, the richness of the backdrop, the acting, the filming, that everytime I try to explain to people why they should watch it everything just comes out as a high pitched squeek.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Great film and Clive Owen is godlike.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah I watched it a few weeks ago, it's really good. You notice little things rewatching it too. It's the first Clive Owen film I've seen other than Return of the Native as well and I thought he was bloody fantastic.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The scene towards the end when the army moves in on the refugee camp has to be one of the most gripping sequences in any film, best film of last year imo

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It is fantastic, I got it on DVD last week and have watched it twice already. Very well made, very rewatchable.

Poag

m00?
With all the raving about the Street battle noones mentioned this.

Its all a single take...theres no cuts to other cameras, no breaks in the sequence, all done in one take in one go...thats what really sets that scene up :)

gmloki

Part of the furniture
I really enjoyed it. Good film. Had some sublte overtones to V for Vendetta and 28 days later.
Only thing I couldn't understand or may have missed is why or how did the infertility come about ? Was it a virus or man made ?

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
gmloki said:
Only thing I couldn't understand or may have missed is why or how did the infertility come about ? Was it a virus or man made ?
We aren't told, and I doubt anybody knows, but it's implied that it's a flu virus (the one that killed Jasper's son), and some people claim it's God's punishment.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
Don't think they ever said gmloki, it had just happened, they never found out why.

And I agree, awesome movie. I really love films that are staged around a premise that could happen :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Yes, watched this a while back after much scepticism. Loved it.

Fairly downbeat but a top quality movie. Real grit and no hollywood action. Quite refreshing really.

The scene where julianne moore is shot is a good example

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Anyone else notice how much of a blatant ripoff this is from nemesis(1 or 2, can't remember exactly which)? :eek7:

No more babies, oops found one chick, gotta get her to the coast...come on!

It's like making a movie of a guy that travels back in time to kill someone and umm..let's say he's bionic?

EDIT: Maybe saying "blatant ripoff" is a bit harsh, but it seems like a close call to it.

Something wrong.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
old.Tohtori said:
Anyone else notice how much of a blatant ripoff this is from nemesis(1 or 2, can't remember exactly which)? :eek7:

It's like making a movie of a guy that travels back in time to kill someone and umm..let's say he's bionic?

EDIT: Maybe saying "blatant ripoff" is a bit harsh, but it seems like a close call to it.

Something wrong.

There is a film called nemesis?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
old.Tohtori said:

Something wrong.
from a quick search on IMDb i doubt even the writers of Children of Men have seen those straight to video movies :p

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
The film is an adaptation of a book by PD James and after a little look the book was written before the film.

So the story is not copied at all :p

Damn good film, though.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
great filom, lets hope its not going to be a case of "all will be revealed in the sequel" situation though :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ok, i wax a bit hasty in my nemesis comparison :D

Actually on second watch it does look interesting.

Arnie 2Tone

Fledgling Freddie
I started reading a short story I found in a mates crapper once about a man who was pissed off at how much of the plot film-makers give away in trailers, so he invented a gizmo that wiped a persons memory of any given film before they watched it. I never got to the point in the story where it all inevitably went tits-up and ended in disaster, so it still sounds like a good idea to me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom