Chickens

russell

FH is my second home
Do you think that it hurts Chickens to lay big eggs? I had a really pointy one in my egg box this morning Ouch :eek:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You CAN always scale an egg, perhaps an ostrich one, stick it in and have a try ;)

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
aren't they soft when laid?

I thought it took an hour or so for the shell of the egg to harden up as when it was fresh laid it was slightly soft and pliable..

I could be wrong however..

or I could be some wierd chicken egg felcher - you decide!

M

phazey

One of Freddy's beloved
If you think it hurts a chicken, spare a thought to the poor Kiwi

763bb804cc73515d629102c9db338e09.jpg

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Surely a thin and pointy egg would come out easily, being kind of missile shaped.. The blunt fat eggs would hurt a chicken's lady bits more i think. :(

Thugz

Banned
Amazing beasties or birdies are chickens. All them lovely eggs they spit out - well lay - and they taste great too body wise. They are like the earth's plankton. Damn I sure in an odd mood today! I better wrap this up before I get too carried away...

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Dys, they're asking us not to buy large eggs.. But then surely, there'd be a huge amountm of large eggs, or a stupidly high amount of chickens laying/running around? Surely us eating them is a good thing.

... Even though I rarely eat eggs.

Chilly

Balls of steel
aren't they soft when laid?

I thought it took an hour or so for the shell of the egg to harden up as when it was fresh laid it was slightly soft and pliable..

I could be wrong however..

or I could be some wierd chicken egg felcher - you decide!

M

Nope, they are hard when they come out. If you kill a laying hen and open up its egg-tract you can see a whole series of eggs in various stages of development from smaller than a pea to just under laying size. (I've seen this first hand, good fun!)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Dys, they're asking us not to buy large eggs.. But then surely, there'd be a huge amountm of large eggs, or a stupidly high amount of chickens laying/running around? Surely us eating them is a good thing.

... Even though I rarely eat eggs.

I think what they are saying is that cos we demand bigger eggs the farmers are creating conditions where the eggs become larger than they should be and therefore causes the birds stress when laying them...

russell

FH is my second home
Not going to buy large eggs anymore. I feel for the chickens -Ive had a 9.8lb baby. Small or Medium from now on

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I did a big poo the other day and nobody feels sorry for me. It was nobbly too, like shitting a corn cob :(

Chilly

Balls of steel
Not going to buy large eggs anymore. I feel for the chickens -Ive had a 9.8lb baby. Small or Medium from now on

They are used to it. You'd be used to giving birth to 9.8lb babies if youd done it once a day for a year too.

STREEEETCH!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I think what they are saying is that cos we demand bigger eggs the farmers are creating conditions where the eggs become larger than they should be and therefore causes the birds stress when laying them...

hold on now, my aunts friend keeps chickens, and regularly gives the eggs to me, they are HOOOGE. If anything the supermarket eggs are all smaller, even the large ones.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I'm just going by what that article says..I don't know if its true or not...

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Clearly the chickens should be lubricated by the farmer pre-lay.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I don't really eat chicken eggs any more. They're too small and not tasty enough.

Instead go for duck eggs. The yolk can be nearly twice the size of that of large hen eggs, plus the flavour is more intense. Yum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom