Motoring Check Your Photo Licence!

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
This is something I need to look into. I don't live at the house I own, but my driving licence (and car) are registered there (in fact the car is parked there right now - I hope!). I'm not sure whether that's OK or not, and to further complicate the issue, I don't actually reside in the UK, so I don't know if I need to change my driving licence to an Irish one, and what the implications of that are.

I have a similar problem, except I don't own a house at all. My registered address is still my parents house. As long as you respond to the mail that gets sent there then you count as living there.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
I have a similar problem, except I don't own a house at all. My registered address is still my parents house. As long as you respond to the mail that gets sent there then you count as living there.

I'm in a similar situation, my car & registration are registered to my parents house, but (unfortunately) the car is insured at my flat in Manchester incase I have an accident whilst commuting to work. Sadly my honesty pretty much doubles any quote I get :(

Syri

FH is my second home
People are complaining on principle...i'd hope so atleast :eek7:

I'm not a driver, of any vehicle(thank your god/non-deity) and even i was aware that you have to renew your lisence :D

But, to the point of "tax", 17.50 every 10 years. If that's a "big deal", you shouldn't own a multi-thousand piece of engineering marvel :p

if you have an older paper license, before the photo ones were introduced, you don't have to renew it every 10 years.
The new photo ones are labelled as you being licensed until whatever age, but the card needs renewing every 10 years regardless, even though it doesn't say very clearly.
The valid from and to dates are not actually marked as "valid from" and "valid to", they're marked as "4a." and "4b.", really clear I'm sure you'll agree.
It's the fact that only new licenses are affected though that's annoying people. If you passed a month before the photo license came in, you get a paper only license that lasts until you reach the age for reassessment. If you passed a month later, you have to pay every 10 years on top of that. It's not mandatory for those on the old paper licenses to switch to a photo one though, so it's only those of us that passed more recent that have to pay this.
I believe that is where the argument is coming from over it not being "fair"

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
If you have a paper license and change address they force a photo one on you dont they? I used to have a paper one and Im pretty sure thats how I ended up with the photo job.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Oh thats nothing. What about the new law coming in that you wont be allowed to even own a car without insurance. So if you have a car thats off the road in a garage while you go travelling or something, you will still need to buy insurance for it

how can they stop you tho?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
My paper licence had to have points added to it a few years back, but it also had 10 yr old points on it too, when it came back, they had just put a line through the expired ones and added the new ones in pen!! not even printed

They were obviously too lazy to blow the dust off the old machine that they used to print on the old paper licence's, but they didnt try to get me to have a new photo licence, which i thought they would

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
My paper licence had to have points added to it a few years back, but it also had 10 yr old points on it too, when it came back, they had just put a line through the expired ones and added the new ones in pen!! not even printed

They were obviously too lazy to blow the dust off the old machine that they used to print on the old paper licence's, but they didnt try to get me to have a new photo licence, which i thought they would

They still do that now luv, even on the new paper licences.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Do you have to provide a up to date photo when you renew as it would make sence then you can change allot in 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom