Cheap, temporary but nifty graphics card required.

S

Summo

Hello peoples! :)

I've just packed my Ti4400 off to Gainward in Germany for a warranty repair or replacement and am currently using a very old ATI card that doesn't do anything above 800x600.

:(

So that I can at least play some games, I thought I might buy a temporary graphics card as dare it'll be quite some time before Gainward sort mine out.

So then... I guess I'm looking to spend no more than about £50 (or thereabouts - I'll go higher for a bargain) on something that can ideally run Call Of Duty reasonably, but at the very least Day Of Defeat.

I'm not keen on using eBay or similar as I can't shake the feeling that its too easy to get shafted.

Looking at Overclock.co.uk there's a few in the GeForce FX 5200 range for under £50, but are these worth anything? Would I be better off trying to find an old GeForce 3 or something?

Your comments welcome, as ever. Similarly if anyone has a reasonable card lying around that I could borrow (and I mean borrow - I'll return it safely) then let me know. ;)

K

kameleon

You want an fx 5200 then approx 50 notes and will run CoD comfortably. Also runs dx 9 games too.

J

Jonty

Hi Summo

Just passing through. Kameleon and yourself are on the right track, as GeForceFX 5200 (Ultra if available) should be able to handle most modern games, albeit not at the same resolution nor level of detail as you may be used to. Alternatively, you could go with ATi's lower-end 9x00 cards, which usually have a similar performance level, although they do lack DirectX9 support (although some argue this doesn't really matter on low end cards). Anyway, OcUK seem reasonably enough priced, having checked around.

Good luck :)

Jonty

P.S. Thanks go to Xavier for clarifying some matters :)

D

doh_boy

I play COD online and am still enjoying the sp with a GeForce 2 MX400 (gainward jumbo..top card).

So I'm pretty sure you could use any old crap.

I

Insane

Originally posted by Jonty
Hi Summo

for some reason that one line made me remember the WKD advert with the 3 guys cleaning :eek6:

what about a Geforce4 Mx-440 if its only temporary, it's around £35~£40 for a normal 8x 64mb DDR card and they do okay in most games if you sacrifice the quality a bit.

C

.Cask

I got a replacement Ti4400 back from Asus, brand new and unused. Not sure what they're worth now, maybe drop me a PM if you're interested. Just sitting here collecting dust at the moment.

W

Will

Check your PM box. GF4 Ti4200 available, and I can hand deliver it (at the BB).:)

S

Summo

Hey wow thanks, guys! :D

I took the advice from here and ordered a GeForce FX 5200. Only cost 45 quid from a guy who knows a guy (he's reliable, though).

I wish I'd seen Will's and Hairy's (?) comments earlier, though. Doh!

Again, thanks very much peeps. :)

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by Will
Check your PM box. GF4 Ti4200 available, and I can hand deliver it (at the BB).:)

I might be interested!

*points at the afore-mentioned GeForce 2*

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom