BMAPC Cheap GF PC for Guildwars2

Tilda

Hey all,

So the GF needs a desktop pc for her house, and is quite tempted to try guildwars.
I obviously wouldn't mind being able to play GW2 at her house too.
Ideally looking for cheap and cheerful.

Any suggestions?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
It looks fantastic on a triple monitor surround setup 5960x1080 :).

Seriously I would think any Intel i7 2500 (great value) with 8Gb Memory and a 500 Series Geforce will easily cope.

Dell Alienware X51 starts at 649 GBP (incl VAT & Shipping) with an i7-2600 and a 1Gb GDDR5 GTX 555.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Interested in this thread also, my 5-6 year old PC is struggling with GW when theres 15+ people about, so tempted to look into one for next months pay cheque.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Get the latest i5 3570k/8GB/670GTX/7000 series ATI, and you won't have any problems.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I wanted something new for SW:Tor at the start of the year, rather than a full system I picked up an i5 2500k for around £290, an NVIDIA 560ti and 8gb RAM, seems to run GW2 perfectly :)

Obviously the ones mentioned above will run even better, but depends how much you're wanting to spend, and what you consider cheap

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
even an i5 2500/ i7 2700 would run this and any other game fine for the next X years tbh

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
depends how shiny you want it to run, theres "running" and theres "running nice"

- English -

Resident Freddy
I have already got a decent PC case, and I think my PSU should be powerful enough (650w i think)?
I have some sata HD so perhaps a cheap SSD could be nice just to boost the performance a little

This would mean I require, bare in mind i'd like to keep it under £600

Mobo

Cpu - £180

Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Gener...ZKK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346921814&sr=8-1

RAM
GFX
HD

Litmus

Resident Freddy
What's you're price limit, and do you need a monitor?

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey all,

So the GF needs a desktop pc for her house, and is quite tempted to try guildwars.
I obviously wouldn't mind being able to play GW2 at her house too.
Ideally looking for cheap and cheerful.

Any suggestions?

see this thread

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i'm running GW2 with no issues on an old machine, AMD Dual core 5600+ (2.9ghz), 4gb ram with a GeForce 8600 GT 2gb card (total cost including 19" monitor was €50)

if you have a small budget its well worth going for something cheap but something that you can upgrade a little later with maybe a new gfx card and some RAM

- English -

Resident Freddy
i'm running GW2 with no issues on an old machine, AMD Dual core 5600+ (2.9ghz), 4gb ram with a GeForce 8600 GT 2gb card (total cost including 19" monitor was €50)

if you have a small budget its well worth going for something cheap but something that you can upgrade a little later with maybe a new gfx card and some RAM

i'm running a 2.2 core2duo E6600 or something with 6gig ram, 640mb 8800gts ..

it runs medium settings with 25-30fps in pve, but as soon as there comes 15+ people on my screen the fps drops between 5-10.

I have vacummed years of dust from my graphics card, and formatted prior to GW release which both seemed to help. Also i noticed teamspeak gave me some graphics problems, especially overlay which helped not running that on the PC aswell.

If anyone can help with this idea it would be nice;

I'm half tempted to get a new graphics card and hope it will just boost it over so i can run medium setting /large scale keep battles, do you think a new graphics card is worth it? or just hang on a few months and buy a new PC? The PC is 6 years old, but has had a new case(2years old), motherboard(4 years old now), and has ddr2 ram .. would a new gfx card something like a gtx 560 be worth it? at around £170

Syri

FH is my second home
I've found that GW2 is seriously CPU intensive, and it seems very much optimised for the core i series. My laptop is currently outperforming my desktop. The laptop having a core i3 2.4ghz paired with radeon 5470m, the desktop a core 2 duo 2.93ghz paired with radeon 7770 OC. The desktop struggles to hit 15fps at any resolution and graphics settings, while the laptop gets roughly 30fps on recommended settings (med/low detail, 720p resolution)
I'd say anything with a half decent graphics card and a fairly modern cpu should do great.

Aada

Part of the furniture
i'm running a 2.2 core2duo E6600 or something with 6gig ram, 640mb 8800gts ..

it runs medium settings with 25-30fps in pve, but as soon as there comes 15+ people on my screen the fps drops between 5-10.

I have vacummed years of dust from my graphics card, and formatted prior to GW release which both seemed to help. Also i noticed teamspeak gave me some graphics problems, especially overlay which helped not running that on the PC aswell.

If anyone can help with this idea it would be nice;

I'm half tempted to get a new graphics card and hope it will just boost it over so i can run medium setting /large scale keep battles, do you think a new graphics card is worth it? or just hang on a few months and buy a new PC? The PC is 6 years old, but has had a new case(2years old), motherboard(4 years old now), and has ddr2 ram .. would a new gfx card something like a gtx 560 be worth it? at around £170

Nope don't bother, they made the game to take more CPU juice than Graphics power due to people usually having a better CPU than their GFX card.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Hm do I go for an i5 3750 + something like a gtx660ti (more expensive card) or an i7 2600k (more expensive cpu) and a gtx560

Bahumat

FH is my second home
The K on CPU normally means its not been over clocked so you can squeeze more out.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
- English - said:
have you any idea on PSU?

I currently have http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2009/06/25/enermax-liberty-eco-review/1, and was wondering if I can avoid replacing (if it is ok with this generation of gfx cards) then and just buy around it, considering my case is decent also.

It's modular and has four 6+2 pci-e connectors so you can connect any card. How old is it? The older psu's hard this thing with only being able to push so much juice through a 12v rail meaning some cards experienced issues as they could not get enough.

The reason for limiting the amount being pushed through was disproven so newer psu's can have one 12v rail and be fine.

I'm sure someone with more recent knowledge can clarify on this.

If you buy the card, be prepared to buy a psu in the event yours can't cut it anymore. I had a Be Quiet 750w (3years old) which lost power over time (not uncommon) and I had all manner of problems till I replaced it.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Bought an i5 3570, 16gig corsair ram, 120gig corsair SSD, and a new mobo to try a performance boost. The only problem i had installing / setting everythign up was my old CD/dvd drives use IDE which the mobo has no socket for, meaning it was a pain as i had to install from a flash drive (that wasnt the problem, the problem was getitng a copy to the flash drive + bootable ;p).

Even with my 8800gts, the difference is amazing, I am running 60+ fps in PVE, and in WVW I never drop below 30 (this is medium to high settings)

I dont know whether to bother buying a new card, what good will it make except for running everything on high (but is it worth 250£?)

Or perhaps wait and the prices will drop and buy one for a game which will need it.

Love how it takes 12~ secs from power on til i can surf the net :D

Aada

Part of the furniture
Nice man glad you are enjoying your new toy :)

Only you can decide if you wanna spend the extra £££ on a new graphics card but if it were me i'd say yes, you have upgraded everything else do it justice :) GTX 660ti graphics cards have just come out.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
660 ti = £280 ish. 670 = £280-300

no brainer? :p

tbh i just dropped 160 on a 560ti (asus direct CU II) and that is pretty shit hot for the money... if i hadn't had to build two complete gaming pc's i'd have probably bought a 680..

on that note, does anyone know if you can triple SLI three 560 Ti's? ( i have three of exactly the same card now, they're all in seperate pc's atm, but when i upgrade my and the mr's pc i'd put all three in the kid's if it's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom