Cheap/free web hosting

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Hi there

My mother-in-law runs a charitable self help type group and someone has purchased a domain name for her, so they can have a web presence. I can help with time/software to produce a website, but would appreciate some advice on hosting. As they have no income of any kind, it's got to be free or very very cheap. They do not have a static ip address and don't want to pay the £3.50/month to get one from their isp (Nildram). We could use a dns2go type thing to get around this but she is behind a NAT configured router, which I'd prefer not to have to reconfigure and redo the whole security of their network. Therefore, as far as I know, the next best option is to use the free webspace from their isp. However, I need help on one or two things .....

How do I get www.TheRegisteredDomainName.org to redirect to www.nildram.net/HerWebspace ? Is this an option which her isp will offer, possibly inclusive in the price she pays or at an additional cost? Or can I register for a free 0845 dialup account or email address with an isp that does do this 'forwarding' for free?
Are there other options/issues which I'm missing?

Thanks

Clown

Part of the furniture
Does she actually have webspace? The cheapest cheapest deal from Nildram doesn't include webspace. Once you buy www.theregistereddomainname.org there should be an option in the control panel of the people you registered the domain with. Then you just put the url as the forwarding address.

You don't need to buy hosting to get the domain name to work.
www.clowneh.co.uk
Ignoring the crappy content, this forwards to my Nildram webspace.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Depending on the company she bought the domain name off, it may be possible for it to have a simple URL redirection, I'm on UKReg for my domain names and they do this for free, so if that's good enough you might want to look into that as a first port of call.

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Ahhh good point, her package with Nildram does NOT include webspace afterall. In that case, anyone have a recommendation on how I might get some free webspace? Can you still register for (but not use) an 0845 dialup account with many isps and get a small amount of webspace free? She doesn't need much at all.
I'll check out who the domain name was purchased from and investigate this url redirection thing.

Thanks guys

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Most 0845 webspace is only accessible from that ISP - they lock their FTP servers to their own subnet.

Not looked at the £15 option, but for a small outlay that would strike me as the better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom