Cheap Desks (Manchester)

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Hi all,

I've moved my way back to Manchester for another year and uni, and I'm in search of a nice sized desk (the one I have is too shallow and leaves me with with no non-computer workspace).

Initially I looked on various office supply sites and cried at prices of > £100, but I seem to have found something suitable at IKEA (unfortunately called a Jerker). £65 is more manageable, but still not that cheap in the grand scheme, hence asking here for some advice.

Is £65 a good deal? Should I be able to find something of the same quality for much less? Would looking second hand be a good idea (yes) and can any of you advise anywhere in the near-central Manchester area that sells seconds?

Ta very much all,
Ben

Summo

Loyal Freddie
I've never found cheaper desks than at Argos. They'll deliver, too.

Good stuff!

I wouldn't touch that Jerker for £65. It's just a table.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Argos stuff is terrible, though. I'd prefer just a table to something pseudo fancy with fake trimming that falls off if you so much as look at it. Plus, they offer very little non-computer workspace - it's all purpose built to create a computer-centric workstation. Which is kinda crap.

I got lucky at home when a company around the corner was selling off some of its proper desks cheap. Great big size, totally robust, no frills for about £90. The uni accommodation desk that I now have, which has more workspace than pretty much all those Argos desks, is probably about a third the size.

I miss my desk. :(

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
I have the Ikea desk at home and find it to be an excellent desk. It offers a huge amount of space even with a printer and monitor on the table.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have an IKEA dsk as well and its fine, height adjustable as well. Its not the Jerker one, but it was a mix and match jobby where you could have different coloured/sized desk top and legs. Think it cost me about eighty quid.

One the other hand, IKEA is the most evil entity on the planet and no-one should be encouraged to visit the tenth level of Hell that is an IKEA superstore.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Hey man. My Ikea desk was 30 quid. Are you sure you weren't looking at the thing that sits on top of the desk to make all sorts of funny shelves?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I need a good corner desk but none of them seem to be able to take anything bigger than a 17in CRT monitor :(

Ive got a 19in CRT and I dont want to get one and find I cant balance my monitor on it...

Yes I should get a TFT but I'm only doing that when I get a new PC next year

Chilly

Balls of steel
I got a beuty of an L desk from a company that went tits up a few years ago, very nice desk, huge too.

TBH - argos aint that bad, I bought a bookshelf/desk combo for a ton for my house at uni and they were fine, nothing fell off or fell apart (although the monitor stand couldnt take a 17" CRT without bending, so I braced it up with a stack of DVDs).

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I got this huge pine desk with carved legs and just one drawer from a second hand furniture store, just a big flat surface really with the computers underneath on the floor. It's the best computer table I've ever had. :)

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
Ikea have some great desks / tables, fairly cheap - if u have a travel wagon big enough. They also have a companyh outside their building that can offer you delivery, ofc at a price...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Formash said:
Ikea have some great desks / tables, fairly cheap - if u have a travel wagon big enough. They also have a companyh outside their building that can offer you delivery, ofc at a price...

If you possibly can, avoid using the delivery company. My Girlfriend has just had a bed delivered by them and they were the most incompentent, offensive (you wouldn't believe their attitude on the phone), and expensive bunch of shysters I've ever dealt with.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I agree. This was from the Croydon store.
I told them that if they didn't want to deliver my shit they should fuck off and find another job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom