Character transfers

GReaper

Part of the furniture
A question/rant to IainC and Mythic/GOA - will WAR have any form of character transfers?

This has been the one thing DAoC lacked and Mythic never bothered implementing. The population of DAoC at the start didn't cause many problems as players were spread out fairly evenly across servers. Compare this to WoW where quite a few servers had very long queues whilst others were far too quiet, Blizzard had to rush through a character transfer system as soon as possible because they didn't expect it.

Is this something Mythic has planned for or is planning for? A free character transfer system to allow players from busy servers to move to quiet ones, and a paid character transfer system if I'm really desperate to move to another server.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
A question/rant to IainC and Mythic/GOA - will WAR have any form of character transfers?

This has been the one thing DAoC lacked and Mythic never bothered implementing. The population of DAoC at the start didn't cause many problems as players were spread out fairly evenly across servers. Compare this to WoW where quite a few servers had very long queues whilst others were far too quiet, Blizzard had to rush through a character transfer system as soon as possible because they didn't expect it.

Is this something Mythic has planned for or is planning for? A free character transfer system to allow players from busy servers to move to quiet ones, and a paid character transfer system if I'm really desperate to move to another server.

Erm...Mythic have a character transfer system in DAoC, it's GOA that don't.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
No details either way just yet. If it is available at launch you'll hear about it closer to the time.

Mythic have said that they have several mechanisms in place or planned to help with population balancing, apart from cross-server queues though they haven't yet announced any firm details on that.

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Lol well i guess you can't say fairer than 'i don't know'.

At release it won't be much of an issue, but further down the lines i may wanna switch server and it'd be good to have the option if the server is too overcrowded.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
No details either way just yet. If it is available at launch you'll hear about it closer to the time.

Mythic have said that they have several mechanisms in place or planned to help with population balancing, apart from cross-server queues though they haven't yet announced any firm details on that.

Sorry I think i have missed a bit of vital info, anywhere i can read up more of 'cross-server' queues? not sure i like the sound of it, so I'd better find out what it's about.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sorry I think i have missed a bit of vital info, anywhere i can read up more of 'cross-server' queues? not sure i like the sound of it, so I'd better find out what it's about.

think WoW Battlegroups if i got it correctly...

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
think WoW Battlegroups if i got it correctly...

is that the queues for joining BG's? if so that totally shite, i don't want to log on and join a queue ffs I have enough of them in real life!

It can't be that surely

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Cross server queues is similar *cough* to the WoW BG's i think yeah, enter queue to join scenario from what's been said. As far as I'm aware no details on how they plan to help server populations and character migration have been mentioned, so IainC probably couldn't say even if they've told him. In fact, one video interview kind of dismissed the question saying something along the lines of "one way to deal with realm overcrowding is know you can't prevent it" which applies to server population equally.

I would think they've taken a bit of a look of it to be honest, and almost every other MMO has some form of character transfer facility, so they'd have to be fools to ignore it altogether.

Personally i think Mythic haven't made up their mind yet :D

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
is that the queues for joining BG's? if so that totally shite, i don't want to log on and join a queue ffs I have enough of them in real life!

It can't be that surely

yeah thats the battlegroup queue. but its not that bad anymore.

with the new lvl 70 epic pvp set more and more ppl start to join the bg's so he queues are almost gone. longest i've waited since last patch was 10 minutes i think.

and we dont know how bad it will be in WAR yet. i just hope it wont be as bad as in DAoC. where 1 realm totally dominates and zerg around ruiing it for the few on the other side.

that said, i kinda like how blizzard handled it. sure the waiting can be a pain. but atleast you know there will be even numbers, if not skill.

and you can always go do some "open world" pvp while waiting in WAR.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
yeah thats the battlegroup queue. but its not that bad anymore.

with the new lvl 70 epic pvp set more and more ppl start to join the bg's so he queues are almost gone. longest i've waited since last patch was 10 minutes i think.

and we dont know how bad it will be in WAR yet. i just hope it wont be as bad as in DAoC. where 1 realm totally dominates and zerg around ruiing it for the few on the other side.

that said, i kinda like how blizzard handled it. sure the waiting can be a pain. but atleast you know there will be even numbers, if not skill.

and you can always go do some "open world" pvp while waiting in WAR.

I never played WOW to a level to use the BG's or whatever, but I find the whole concept of waiting to go to a BG a bit shitty, DAOC had that in like 3/4years ago with the portal cermonies, best thing they did was remove the 10min wait etc

waiting to join a BG hardly makes for a fluid WAr is everywhere experience, its more like WAR is over there but wait 15 mins and 'you too' can join the fun.

Add this idea to the flag players, I'm really starting to wonder if i'll play this game, doesn't really sound like something I'd be interested in.

I'll wait til more information is known when the beta re-opens.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Think the whole 15 minute+ wait thing is coming from how WoW BG's turned out but think people are forgetting WoW is a heavily pve orientated game thus you get a lot less players wanting to do BG's therefore long waiting times.

I'd expect the player base in WAR to be a lot more pvp orientated and as a result the waiting times if handled well should be a lot less also if waiting isn't your thing you could just go out into open field rvr and jump right in.

Nobody knows really how it will work out the only way we will find out is to wait until release and try it out :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not to mention the BGs are generally awful :) Though its the only way with scenario based battles really, you have to wait for enough people to join a queue before you can start the instance. Most are time based, or at least the first team to achieve a particular target, be it flags, bases or mobs.

Personally I had hoped WAR would do away with scenarios, they really are dire, the same thing over and over and have absolutely no impact on the game world once the BG has finished

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Imo its just an alternative option. The open world rvr is still the priority from what i read but the scenarios just add variation. To many people seem to find an aspect thy dont like or dont like sound of abd focus 100% on that. Totally ignoring all other options. Ive seen in other threads ppl saying game will fail because of scenarios ect. Its same in console games, good games like Mass Effect get released and instead of all the positives ppl seem to find a glitch or place where framerate drops a bit and bam game sooks.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah I know there are alternative ways to PVP in WAR, i was just commenting on the WoW PVP which really isn't very good, though there are rumours of DAOC style frontier pvp with the coming expansion. How well it would work is debatable, as people have said WoW is a PVE game with PVP seemingly added as an afterthought. I am hoping WAR has a nice mix of both, challenging PVE and decent PVP.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
yea didnt mean to sound like i was getting at you m8:) i was more trying to get a word in before the war will sook cus of scenario brigade arrived:)

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie

rynnor

Rockhound
The worst problem with queue systems in pvp is that you end up getting guild groups v randoms - this is one thing along with wait times that really killed wow pvp for me.

In daoc you had guild v randoms but at least you could zerg the guild groups - if your stuck in a fixed number scenario then an optimised group will 99% destroy randoms - wheres the fun in that?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
The worst problem with queue systems in pvp is that you end up getting guild groups v randoms - this is one thing along with wait times that really killed wow pvp for me.

In daoc you had guild v randoms but at least you could zerg the guild groups - if your stuck in a fixed number scenario then an optimised group will 99% destroy randoms - wheres the fun in that?

Hit the nail on the head.

If you (I don't mean specifically you here) want challenge you have to arrange fights versus groups of similar caliber or play a laddered game.

MMOGs usually are just a waste of time if you want challenge and competition. Doesn't stop guild/clan/corp groups from stroking their epeens though, regardless of the game. If people wouldn't be so sado-masochistic maybe they'd just not play the chars once a guild group shows up.

In that video, the guy who says "keeps is what really does it" is so clueless, who cares about DAoC's fantastic keeps when there is no effective territory control whatsoever in DAoC anyway?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I am pissed off with this forum, can I get a character transfer to the 'Game Consoles' forum instead please?

Whats that you say Deebs? £10 for a forum transfer?? F**k you and the horse you rode in on, I am off the the VN forums where I can get a free transfer as long as I pay my $600 a month subscription! Now thats what I call value.

/goes off to a corner and mutters to himself

Old Nicodemus

Loyal Freddie
I am pissed off with this forum, can I get a character transfer to the 'Game Consoles' forum instead please?

Whats that you say Deebs? £10 for a forum transfer?? F**k you and the horse you rode in on, I am off the the VN forums where I can get a free transfer as long as I pay my $600 a month subscription! Now thats what I call value.

/goes off to a corner and mutters to himself

There, there. Has little cHoie not had enough sugar today?

<gently pats cHo>

here's an original Donkey game hand held. you can go and play with yourself in a corner.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
There, there. Has little cHoie not had enough sugar today?

<gently pats cHo>

here's an original Donkey game hand held. you can go and play with yourself in a corner.

I don't need any help playing with myself in a corner, I spent my entire childhood practicing that. Probably why I needed laser eye surgery 18 months ago! :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
/me gets horrible pictures in his head...

I can send you an even clearer .jpg picture if you like, it was taken with a 7MP camera for high definition dong action! ;)

Pica

Fledgling Freddie
hehe, think ill be fine without it thx, dont wanna see my dinner one more time :p:puke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom