chaos rift / electromagnet through doors is bug abuse.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
Just thought i would raise it here in case folks didnt know, got my email back regarding this just to make sure i wasnt abusing it on my engineer and aparantly knowingly pulling folks through doors is classed as a bug abuse.

So there we go :p

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Well - unless people get banned for it, I don't see it matter.

Most would have had to know that it was bug abuse already. I do not hope anybody realistically in any mindset could think that pulling people through doors would be "legit", but more that people justified it to themselves with such as "the other side does it" and "mythic could just fix the code" and other nonsense.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Just thought i would raise it here in case folks didnt know, got my email back regarding this just to make sure i wasnt abusing it on my engineer and aparantly knowingly pulling folks through doors is classed as a bug abuse.

That's THE Goa rulling then?
Cause I don't think Mythic has come out yet and said it wasn't WAI.
Even worse ( and I cba to find a quote) I think MJB has said something that might be interpreted that it was WAI.

Don't misunderstand me and say I don't think it's an exploit, cause it sure as hell is imo.

Danita

scorge

Fledgling Freddie

So pets shooting through walls is ok, or is that bug abuse? sounds like hyprocisy to me from GoA. Its Ok for pets to abuse geometry by shooting through walls but not ok to rift...

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
So pets shooting through walls is ok, or is that bug abuse? sounds like hyprocisy to me from GoA. Its Ok for pets to abuse geometry by shooting through walls but not ok to rift...

You are comparing a pet hitting you for puny amount of dmg to instant death which you will get when you get sucked to middle of enemy zerg. You not getting just how stupid that sounds?

rynnor

Rockhound

Pets do that automatically but a person has to choose to rift knowing full well what they are doing.

Dont get me wrong - I think both are bad but until the fix arrives at least people can stop using rift in this situation?

To say I'm going to abuse bug X until bug Y is fixed seems silly?

Xandax

Loyal Freddie

The pet isn't dragging players through "solid objects", out of line of sight of everybody else.

It isn't hypocrisy - it is an entirely different subject.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I was under the impression you could only pull people that are actually on the door(albeit the 'other side' of on..).

I've not seen it happen personally, but from what was argued a lot on VN and WHA people were generally saying to be pulled through the door, you have to be trying to hit people through it from the other side (and thus trying to abuse geometry yourself?)

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
You are comparing a pet hitting you for puny amount of dmg to instant death which you will get when you get sucked to middle of enemy zerg. You not getting just how stupid that sounds?

A bug is a bug regardless.

:m00:

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
The pet isn't dragging players through "solid objects", out of line of sight of everybody else.

It isn't hypocrisy - it is an entirely different subject.

true the pets though are shooting people though "solid objects", out of line of sight of everyone else.

As i said above a bug is a bug, what GoA are saying is that pets hitting through solid objects is ok, as the damage the do is crap. Now i suppose if the pets where 1 shoting people though solid objects, then it would be a abuse

So its not allowed to rift people as they might die, but ok for pets to shoot through walls as there is less chance of dieing.

If pets can shoot through "solid object" then that should be abuse just like being able to rift through "solid objects" reagrdless if you get killed instanty or not.

what people seem to be saying is that i don't like rift as i die, but i dont mind pets as i can live through them hitting me, even though its the same type of abuse and to a degree exploiting geometry.

if someone can explain to me why its ok for pets to "shoot through" solid objects but not OK for rift, to me they are both bugs that exploit gemotery and are the same thing

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I was under the impression you could only pull people that are actually on the door(albeit the 'other side' of on..).

I've not seen it happen personally, but from what was argued a lot on VN and WHA people were generally saying to be pulled through the door, you have to be trying to hit people through it from the other side (and thus trying to abuse geometry yourself?)

you can pull people from behind the walls if you know where to target not just the doors

@scorge
Noone is disputing that both are bug abuses, the difference is one is done automatically because of the game mechanics the other is done on purpose with the intention of abusing a bug
A pet will run after anything that damages it the only way to stop them is to passive in which case they dont do anything at all, what use is a ranged pet if you cant use its range?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
on another note, shouldn't a rift being what it is be able to negate normal physics and therfore the door wall would not exist in its dimension? :twak:

Chronictank

FH is my second home
on another note, shouldn't a rift being what it is be able to negate normal physics and therfore the door wall would not exist in its dimension? :twak:

They shouldnt be able to target inside, but they can because of various other bugs the door being the most common known one
But in reality you can pull people from almost anywhere if you know where to target

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
@scorge
Noone is disputing that both are bug abuses, the difference is one is done automatically because of the game mechanics the other is done on purpose with the intention of abusing a bug
A pet will run after anything that damages it the only way to stop them is to passive in which case they dont do anything at all, what use is a ranged pet if you cant use its range?

i like playing devils advocate! but if you know the pet will shoot through the wall and place it, is this not done intentionally?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
i like playing devils advocate! but if you know the pet will shoot through the wall and place it, is this not done intentionally?

The pet isn't placed inside the wall, if the person it was previously hitting moves away the pet runs in after them
While this can be abused it is far harder to prove if the action was taken intentionally or if it was by accident because the owner isnt paying attention

The only way the magnus bug occurs is if it is intentionally done, i am not going to share on here the other ways of pulling people out :p

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
The pet isn't placed inside the wall, if the person it was previously hitting moves away the pet runs in after them
While this can be abused it is far harder to prove if the action was taken intentionally or if it was by accident because the owner isnt paying attention

The only way the magnus bug occurs is if it is intentionally done, i am not going to share on here the other ways of pulling people out :p

Am talking about magus pets, so i should really call them turrets as they do not move. just where yo place them put them on aggressive and they will shoot through "solid objects for you" as there is no LoS to them other players cant target them, usually the fire through floors in keeps.

I can fart more damage then they do, so i think in the next patch when they up the damage they do, if they can still shoot through walls/floors/doors people will call it abuse as they will die to them. At the moment as they are so pathetic with damage people dont care...

but by intentionally placing a magus pet, knowing it will shoot through" solid objects" is abuse or not?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Am talking about magus pets, so i should really call them turrets as they do not move. just where yo place them put them on aggressive and they will shoot through "solid objects for you" as there is no LoS to them other players cant target them, usually the fire through floors in keeps.

I can fart more damage then they do, so i think in the next patch when they up the damage they do, if they can still shoot through walls/floors/doors people will call it abuse as they will die to them. At the moment as they are so pathetic with damage people dont care...

but by intentionally placing a magus pet, knowing it will shoot through" solid objects" is abuse or not?

We're not discussing whether it is abuse :p
We are discussion which should be dealt with heavy handedly, as there is no way of prooving that the pet was intentionally put there how would you suggest it was clamped down on?

The chaos rift by comparison is very much so intentional by design

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
We are discussion which should be dealt with heavy handedly, as there is no way of prooving that the pet was intentionally put there how would you suggest it was clamped down on?

of course there is a way of proving that pets/turrets have been intentionally placed, thats because players choose to place them, therefore there is intent.

Am not suggesting that pets should be clamped down on, although shooting through walls is definitely not right.

i am discussing that it was hypocrisy on GoA's part by not stating that exploiting bugs with pets/turrets shooting through "solid objects"was ok, while chaotic rift was not.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
of course there is a way of proving that pets/turrets have been intentionally placed, thats because players choose to place them, therefore there is intent.

Am not suggesting that pets should be clamped down on, although shooting through walls is definitely not right.

i am discussing that it was hypocrisy on GoA's part by not stating that exploiting bugs with pets/turrets shooting through "solid objects"was ok, while chaotic rift was not.

Have GOA said that shooting through walls is "ok"? Have anybody said anywhere that it wasn't a bug?
I still do not see the hypocrisy issue though, as the two bugs and abusing of same are hardly on the same scale to begin with by any means what so ever.
One is effectively an "kill this group of people" button, whereas the other is an annoyance which can be dealt with easily by a little healing.

Every "breech" of anything is differentiated in severity in all aspect of life - doesn't make it hypocritical or anything along that line. That's why for example different crimes have different punishments.

This isn't a matter of "devils advocate", but looks more like either attempting to justify abusing it because other bugs are being "abused" by other people or simply arguing to get a reaction.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Have GOA said that shooting through walls is "ok"? Have anybody said anywhere that it wasn't a bug?

Thats the point Goa have neither said its ok or not, it is most likely a bug.

I still do not see the hypocrisy issue though, as the two bugs and abusing of same are hardly on the same scale to begin with by any means what so ever.
One is effectively an "kill this group of people" button, whereas the other is an annoyance which can be dealt with easily by a little healing.

So because one bug is an annoyance it is ok as yo can heal, if you couldnt heal through it would that still be ok?

Every "breech" of anything is differentiated in severity in all aspect of life - doesn't make it hypocritical or anything along that line. That's why for example different crimes have different punishments.

I agree a crime is still a crime, a bug is still a bug, where is the punishment for people deploying turrets to fire through walls? Different bugs should have different punishments? there is no punishment for pets/turrets firing through solid objects? why? and why have Goa not chosen to make it punishable?

This isn't a matter of "devils advocate", but looks more like either attempting to justify abusing it because other bugs are being "abused" by other people or simply arguing to get a reaction.

on the contrary i am saying that if rift abuse at doors/walls is punishable, they so should magus pets be.

am not attempting to justify that its ok, the opposite!

GReaper

Part of the furniture
This thread is entirely pointless until Mythic or GOA announce using official channels (eg. the website) that using rift through doors is a bug which will result in suspension.

At the moment all we've got are people whining at each other, threatening to report players using rift at keeps. As far as I'm aware nobody has been suspended for it yet, given the fact that customer support is so slow at replying to people I seriously doubt they'll want to spend time or effort with appeals asking them to watch players use rift.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

No.

You are not dictating what the pet target and shoots. Even if you are choosing the target, technically any magus even using a pet could be considered bug abusing if the target moves to a spot with no LOS but the pet keeps hitting it. So should the Magus stop using his pets until they are fixed?

Some things you simply cannot control.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
As said above, Magus pet does pitifully tiny damage. It mainly serves to scare enemy players off by throwing a shiny bolt at them making the less informed panic. Players that are used to it realise its doing nearly bugger all to them and don't bother about it.

I've said it before, I'd rather Magus pets were fixed so that they are more useful and I'm more than happy for them to lose the ability to shoot through walls - mobs don't shoot through walls, it can't be THAT hard to fix the LoS issue with pets. Lose the cast time, make the pet insta summon without spec points and increase the damage. There's a cooldown on it anyway so who cares if its insta since it can't move around anyway. Increase the cooldown if needed. However, if losing the ability to shoot through walls, I'd like to see the summoning circle increased so the pet could move around a little bit as well, even if in a tiny radius so they can target stuff at least.

Regarding Chaotic Rift, I didn't know it could still be abused to pull through walls. Plain and simple, this should be fixed properly. Personally, I don't have this spell atm because I've been trying out other stuff as I mess around working out my final spec (which I've more or less done now and in 4 levels will have some rather evil utility since I've given up on trying to be a DPS class with this goon for now).

Here's the cynical bit: Until its fixed properly there will always be players that will abuse it as there are many people who are only about winning. At times there'll be accidents/mistakes of course, but there will always be people who take advantage of poor game coding no matter what the game. These people grow up and become traffic wardens and there is a special level of hell reserved just for them :D

Nate

FH is my second home
At least they don't make a repeating sound thats more annoying then the chopper :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom