Changing the language

O

old.Hendrick

I am using the german version playing on an english server, which means my "r" button does not work, weapons to craft are displayed in german and "/ignore" does not work either. Now I really want to ignore Karimkazi and his constant "Braziiiil" :), so I decided to give it a go and change the language settings. I understand that I must do the following:

Look for the update.dat file in your Mythic/DaoC folder.
Open the file with an editor:
now change 'german' to 'english' - done - enjoy

Mythic Patch
patch.camelot-europe.com:1280/updates/german; change to english/camelot/mpatch.dat
193.252.123.21:1280/updates/english/camelot/mpatch.dat
193.252.123.31:1280/updates/english/camelot/mpatch.dat

Problem is: Editor? Huh?
Just clicking the update.dat file does not really cut it. Where can I find such an editor, what must I download or am I just too dense to use Windows 98 (which propably is true, as I am illiterate at these things)?

This is only for your own good, as my replies to /send "what's your craft now?" should become much faster.

J

Jupitus

Hendrick - try right-clicking the file to see if there is an 'Open With' option. If there is, then use this and it will display a list of applications you can open this file in. I would suggest you look in the list for 'Notepad.exe' and click that.

Point to note: If you do use notepad to edit the file it might add '.txt' to the filename, making it 'update.dat.txt'. If this happens, best thing is to go to windows explorer and rename the file to update.dat manually.

Of course, it would also be wise to completely copy your whole DAoC folder to create a backup before you start messing around with it ;)

Good Luck Sir!

/bow

Jup.

O

old.Hendrick

Erm, as far as I see it, if I terribly mess-up I just reinstall and the only thing I loose are my quickbar-settings and about 20 advertising-macros?

edit: Thank you by the way :)

J

Jupitus

... pretty much the case, Hendrick, so perhaps you should delete and start over anyway? I have told you to come to DarkShadow's Honest Ad Agency for better promotional material before :p

... and you're welcome sir :)

P

- Pathfinder -

It won't add a txt extension if you save it normally :) Actually double clicking on update.dat SHOULD be enough ;) Windows should prompt you to tell it what program to use; as it's a small text file notepad is the top choice.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by - Pathfinder -
It won't add a txt extension if you save it normally :)

Yep agreed, although I had a nightmare talking Lunar through this myself recently and decided to go for the cover-all option :) I think if you simply use 'File Save' it will save with no extra extension, but using 'File Save As' causes notepad to add '.txt'.

A

Alrindel

1) Rename it update.txt

2) Double click on it, edit it

3) Rename it back to update.dat

easy as
Code:
      (   ) (
       ) (   )
     __..---..__
 ,-='  /  |  \  `=-.
:--..___________..--;
 \.,_____________,./

O

old.Hendrick

Yay!

Now that worked... almost. My text is now all mixed up :) I now have my crafting-lists displayed in english (which is a help), as well as most other interfaces. But still some german text left, for example my "friends"-monitor is still labeled "Freunde". In the character-select screen I have the options "Play" and "Quit", but Hendrick still is a "Söldner der 42. Stufe".

What sucks is that the "r" button still does not work :(

The only thing I can think of now is to delete the ini-file for a character, maybe that changes something. Will try with an alt.

Any other ideas?

A

Alrindel

This probably means that you have a "language" subdirectory in your camelot directory. Delete it. :)

P

- Pathfinder -

Indeed :) Puh, never use the menu to save, Crtl + S forever :)

D

dittytwo

the easist way round the .txt solution is the following

add speach marks round it

ie to save update.dat
you would in the save as/save window type
"update.dat"

that stops it getting the .txt extension
simple huh (see i did learn something at uni :D )

other thing hendrick there are probably language files that you will need to delete like Alrindel says i think that there are two places where theseare stored one is in the language directory and there is also a suplimentry one in the folder where all the ini's are...

hope that helps

N

Nemesis Warlock

Hint :

I play a german version on german and english servers

The r key hasnt had a function in beta

it doesnt work still

it will work someday ;)

its mentioned in manual but doesnt work even german / german combination

dont screw up your files ;)

O

old.Hendrick

Err, I recently started a german alt on stonehenge, and the "r" button works there. Have several reports from other german people playing both that it works on german servers, and does not work on english ones.

A

Alrindel

The R-to-reply function only works when your client is the same language as the server you play on.

I had the french client and R-to-reply did NOT work on excalibur but worked fine on Ys. I made the changes in update.dat to convert it to the english client and it has worked fine ever since.

This is not the only known bug: a nightshade in our guild was unable to climb keep walls when his stealth reached 25. It turned out that this was because he had the german client on an english server (!) - he changed his client to english and it has worked ever since.

F

Flimgoblin

hrm might have to copy my gamedir and convert it for Logres so I can reply :)

O

old.Hendrick

Problem solved. Deleted the language folder and now I have a fully english version. Including the "r" button, which makes life much easier. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom