Champion TL Report March 2004

Joxer

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno if someone else already posted this or if we just missed cause we are all ToA-addicted atm. Anyway.....here it is (shamelessly copied from VN Boards)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Champion TL Report (March 2004)

I. Overview

Although one of the best in the game at artificial duels, the Champion suffers from some serious problems in “real” RvR – which is the point of the game. Most problems result from the game advancing (realm abilities, buffbots, fixes to other classes, ToA bonuses, etc.) while the Champion has remained relatively stagnant. As a result, the Champion has serious issues getting groups in PvE and RvR.

This report represents information gathered from many long-time Champion players who participated in multiple public discussions regarding problems facing the class. The Top 4 Concerns are almost universal among the Champions who contributed.

II. Top 4 Concerns
A. Debuffs
Debuffs define the Champion. The fact that they have grown increasingly weak over time has become the #1 concern of the class.
1. The debuffs do not take items into account. Since spellcrafting went live, it’s not at all unusual to see maxxed item stats (made even worse by ToA +cap items). This puts the Champion at an increased disadvantage.
2. +Buff% items make buffbot buffs higher without penalty (what else would the buffbots wear?). By contrast, +Debuff% items force Champs to sacrifice other stats/resists.
3. Critical debuffs do not take off as much the spells themselves. A regular 73 delve debuff might remove 85 Con from a buffed opponent, but a 67 point critical removes only an additional 42 Con – much less than one would expect.
4. The debuff range is substantially less than the DD range.
5. The power/endurance usage is an issue with players.

B. Self-Buff
The once-useful STR/CON buff needs to be seriously reworked to account for the current reality of RvR.
1. The self-buff (62) is less than the Druid STR/CON (67). Given the prevalence of buffbots today, this too often makes the self-buff useless (except for rebuffing when the Champion dies in the field).
2. Buffbots load up with ToA +buff% equipment making the buffbot buff even higher (93).
3. If a buffbot doesn’t have enough Conc, the Champion is typically asked to use his inferior self-buff. Thus, the buff that was intended to help Champions can be outright detrimental to them. They must use a lesser STR/CON buff that they must remember to recast every 20m in the field.
4. The problem is a combination of the buff being lesser value that then top buffbot buff AND having to be recast every 20m. It is flat-out inferior in high-end RvR.

C. Spells
1. DD Problems
The DD has become relatively weaker over time.

Of the hybrids with Instant DDs, Champions are the only one that has neither a Lifedrain (Reaver) nor a shorter timer/lower cost (Bard) nor a second instant DD/PBAE on a separate timer (Thane, Minstrel, Skald).

The tradeoff was 1500 range, better power ratio and more damage. But the Thane, Minstrel and Skald got damage boosts in 1.65, most had recasts lowered and all had power costs lowered.

Now, the Champion DD that used to be second best to the Reaver is now the worst of the bunch.

2. Lack of AE
RvR today increasingly favors casters/hybrids with AE. Of all the Offensive Hybrids (Thanes, Valewalkers, Champions, Reavers) only the Champion lacks an Area Effect style/spell. Champs have an AE RA, but RAs force the player to sacrifice in other areas (e.g., Purge). Players believe an Instant AE Debuff spell would address the class’s needs.

D. Groupability

1. Hibernia’s other tank/hybrid classes have more to offer than Champions in typical PvE/RvR. Heroes – who Champs are most often compared to -- have ~20% more hitpoints and ~20% better weaponskill, combined with superior Parry/Shield skills, a large shield and Moose form. In RvR, they have significantly better protection against all crowd control. BMs/VWs do more damage. Wardens offer great support.

2. Champions, while technically an “offensive hybrid,” don’t put out noticeably more damage than Heroes, even including their DD. They are far behind Hibernia’s other tanks/hybrids.

3. Unlike support hybrids, Champions don’t have much to offer a group -- standard damage (inc. DD), substandard hp/defense, a snare (of limited use in PvE), debuffs (useless in epic PvE). In RvR, the single-target nature of the debuffs and the long recast timer (and lack of AE effect) limits their usefulness – to the point that groups prefer most other tanks/hybrids over a Champion.

III. Specline Issues
A. 40 Valor is markedly inferior to 50 Valor, especially because of increased resists, and therefore limits the Champion’s legitimate spec options.
B. Sword/shield Champs are inferior in nearly every way to sword/shield Heroes in PvE/RvR (especially now that Heroes have a high-Dex race option)

IV. New issues
None

V. Other issues
A. There is little reason to take a Champion over any other tank/hybrid on epic PvE encounters. Debuffs/DDs never land. And the Champion is inferior to similarly specced counterparts.

VI. Item Problems
A. Champions would like to see more Hybrid Items from Epic Encounters not just RoG
B. +Valor items do nothing for the Champion (no more damage, no better resists).

VII. Documentation Issues (misspellings, bad messages, etc. in game)
None

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ensceptificamuralya

One of Freddy's beloved
Not a word about determination, which has so far been the only reason I've heard why some RvR groups don't like taking champs.

Raear

Fledgling Freddie
I think most TLs wont mention RAs what with frontiers coming up.

Elricstormbringer

Fledgling Freddie
RAs were not mentioned nor were styles as these are both being looked at in Frontiers. However, the TL is well aware of determination (or the lack of it).

Joxer

Fledgling Freddie
Ensceptificamuralya said:
Not a word about determination, which has so far been the only reason I've heard why some RvR groups don't like taking champs.

Well..they kinda said something about Determination - not spoken it out loud but this---

D. Groupability

1. Hibernia’s other tank/hybrid classes have more to offer than Champions in typical PvE/RvR. Heroes – who Champs are most often compared to -- have ~20% more hitpoints and ~20% better weaponskill, combined with superior Parry/Shield skills, a large shield and Moose form. In RvR, they have significantly better protection against all crowd control. BMs/VWs do more damage. Wardens offer great support.

--- kinda pointed towards it.

HarleyDave

Fledgling Freddie
With the introduction of 1.69A where they are giving debuff to druids, on even AE, the champ class is now absolete in terms of groupability. We offer nothing to group, and rely on demezz to even start to function in group rvr, and this after you used up purge. Pure tanks have the option to use purge only on stuns atm, since everything in form of CC does not stick to them for more then 6seconds. We champs cannot.

This report was done by Mongo, the new TL after Jubal. They have different approach how to tackle things, Mongo is more outspoken, and it was due of his insistance that Minstrels got some love they deserved. Will it work with Champs? Honestly I hope so, but at the same time, I do not believe it will.

Duels put us in a place where even Hibs got the idea that Champs are overpowered. Not seen this in EU, but the VN whines managed to make Mythic forget this class. After the introduction of SC, RA's and ToA, no changes been done to the once feared champ debuffs. Nowadays I do not even bother use them. Useless in PvE and moreso in RvR. I prefer saving my end for extra styles.

Mongo is saying that after frontiers the RA's will not be a problem for a champ. That is a hope. But the problems are not there, the problems are deep into the valor line. We sacrifice hp and weaponskill, have no moose or triple wield, and we sacrifice this for a valor line who does not return anything.

Our Str/Con buff? I prefer a druid/buffbot one, delves higher and on no timer.

Hope to see some changes done, and not to RA's or ML's cause you do not balance a class from that, you balance a class from the spec lines.

Until then the only thing we have that is overpowered is our class name, ofc until they nerf it.

Reason for being a champ atm: None
Reason why I am still playing him: My first and only char.

Cheers

HD

Llixeraxu

Fledgling Freddie
I used to cry on the Halls Of Valor boards sooo much. It was patent to me that the champ was being ignored. Since we were given the self buff we just went downhill and as old posts on BW will show, i would not recamend anyone make a champ.

Im sorry to see Jubal go, but im glad we have a hard hitting team lead now. The champ has the possibility like the thane to be a really fun class.

Rauno

Fledgling Freddie
Jubal is a focking noob he has no clue about rvr look at his last tl report it is a joke this new guy has some good points but those are just 1% what we need, Champion class needs a whole patch of love!

Llixeraxu

Fledgling Freddie
Rauno said:
Jubal is a focking noob he has no clue about rvr look at his last tl report it is a joke this new guy has some good points but those are just 1% what we need, Champion class needs a whole patch of love!

Lol you always used to laugh at my whine! NOW YOU SEE I WAS RiGHT ALL ALONG! :twak:

Rauno

Fledgling Freddie
makes me depressed when i think about those 2 mp full scale sets and endless hours of rvr but in to that gimp

and this is just a TL report we had meany TL report dont see no changes tho while Thanes get 75s/c self buff

and pls repatch back to 1.65 i h8 toa

Joxer

Fledgling Freddie
Rauno said:

Yeah well..I'd be more than happy if the issues mentioned in that report would be adressed :)

Laryssa

Regular Freddie
HarleyDave said:
With the introduction of 1.69A where they are giving debuff to druids, on even AE, the champ class is now absolete in terms of groupability.

not debuff - it removes the buff - that something different imo :D

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
Joxer said:
Yeah well..I'd be more than happy if the issues mentioned in that report would be adressed :)

Well I don't think that they will look into all of them.. most of it is crap imo.. pure "beauty-fixes". Today the champ is merely a solo-char and will still continue to be that even if all of the above issues are dealt with... Imo just give us speed 5 and get it over with.. atleast then I can solo properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom