Champion spec?

E

Ensceptifica

Hi...

I have had an elven champion for a very long time, and lately I've been enjoying playing her again. She's only level 15 still.. anyway, I don't know what viable specs there are. I was thinking of going

50 LW
42 Shield
32 Valor
22 Parry
6 Pierce

Pierce and high valor because she's an elf (;

Comments please :)

L

llixeraxu

Slam switcher isnt really a viable spec for a champ in my opinion.

EIther make a hero and go lw/spear and sheild or make a champ and have DDs, debuffs and either lw/sheild.

Ive just started on the road of a chimp sheild champ and any fight im in is a big dance. You gotta be very nimble on the keys while strafing around to get position styles in with some quite nice effects with to boot.

I have 4 quickbars at the moment, and im still not happy.

Also you wont see the benefits of a good sheild champ till you get to at least rr5 onwards as mastry of blocking and a nice amount of + points to your spec.

In closing. If you wanna have fun.. quickly go running in and whack big chunks out of people id go LW..its pretty god damn simple.

If you wanna stay near the back.. defend a caster against tanks while stunning his targets to be blown away go for a sheild champ. Be warned though... its like turning the difficulty level from easy .. to nightmare.

If you wanna slam then wip out yer large wepon and whack chunks outta people. Its not to late to roll a hero, you get far cheaper realm abilities ... including that all important determination.

Hope this has been some help. Ohh and as a sheild champ you also get to cry when you hit a zerk for 100dmg while hes /shes just knocked your arm off with a 500+ blow.

This also happens with tankster who i firmly belive could stick me in a duel and go afk and manage to beat me.. but hey.. i can beat Maniro and Nova in a duel.. soo tehy must be reaaaaally shit :p

*pokes maniro* Llaw Arian pfft

V

vintervargen

does champs insta debuffs + snare interrupt?

E

Elric IA

You need valour high as it is spell level not caster level that determines resist rate and level 32 spells in RvR wont stick much. also valour line improves champs weakness in other areas.

Try the forums on Hall of Valor for ideas but traditionally

50LW 50V 28 parry (or 27 parry and 7 shield/1h or 10 shield)
50V 42 Shield 39 blade rest parry

i know some people who have gone to 40 valour for more blades/parry as well.

I have seen a variant on the hybrid spec where LW is up to about 39 or so to give more valopur but you all know what they say about hybrids... plus 50 LW style is definitely worth speccing full weapon in as well as giving more weaponskill (champs tend to be 100-200 or so down on heros).

Hope this helps :)

O

old.Laryssa

if u dont wanna use valor roll a hero - will safe u many tears.

best spec imho:

50 LW (Annihilation)
50 Valor (all debuffs, snare, selfbuff and DD)
26 parry
10 shield (guard, intercept)
7 blade/blunt (taunt)

I have this spec on my champ.

Nice in RvR and Nice in PvE (i was astonished how often I block with even only 10+6 shield).

E

Elric IA

Originally posted by vintervargen
does champs insta debuffs + snare interrupt?

They all used to and I once killed a wizzie after he rooted me in such a way with constant interrupts and DDs. Not any more though (1.52, I think, is where thye got taken out)

Nowadays only snare and DD interrupts not the debuffs but until 1.62 the str/con debuff can act like a root on chars whose encumberance is close to their strength.

L

Lessurl

Originally posted by old.Laryssa

50 LW (Annihilation)
50 Valor (all debuffs, snare, selfbuff and DD)
26 parry
10 shield (guard, intercept)
7 blade/blunt (taunt)

This is my spec and i find it very usefull. The engage Lary neglected to mention from the 10 shield is very usefull against people who try to shoot at you. Plus at 10 shield it's guard 2 you get...10% base chance to block for someone else, plus the 10 points in shield plus whatever bonus from items. I found in a pve grp (especially when i used to have mastery of blocking for levelling purposes b4 respeccin for IP) that i blocked a reasonable amount for the person i was guarding.
Ofc with that low blade you have a bit bad wep skill and miss a lot vs high lvl mobs, but i generally went with the tactic of startin out with lw and hitting the mob 1-2 times with taunt then switchin to swrd/shld.

For rvr 50 lw/50 valor is highly recommended. You need the high lvl valor spells + the top end buff (champ needs all the con he can get). You need the high lvl valor spells due to the fact that resists are based on spell lvl. The amount of end/mana a debuff takes off a champ and the fact that they are on a decently long timer (when u can drop people in ~10 secs then they are a long timer :p ) you can't really afford for them to get resisted too much. In a 1v1 encounter str/con debuff goes 70% of the way for winning it for the champ. In a grp v grp encoutner if u throw a str/con debuff on before dding or hitting the opponent then it can strip a good 200-400 extra hp off them for free. (don't get it taken off for free if they are already damaged as str/con only reduces max hp not current hp unless the current hp is above the new reduced max hp.........if that makes any sense). Can be the difference between 2 shotting and 3 shotting a char.

So, i would say 50 valor is a must (as it's the defining traait of the champion and the only reason you would go champ over hero is for these spells). Then either 50 lw if u plan on playing offensive tank and running into enemy grps taking out enemy support classes... or go the shld/1h spec if you plan on standing back and defending your own support classes. The choice is yours. :p

O

old.Niljindil

As some others pointed out that if you are a champ you should get 50 valor, period, otherwise just roll a hero or bm ;)

O

old.Mitsu

I've been: 50 LW 50 Valor 27 Parry 7 pierce/shield for a while.

Decent damage and good fun. Makes a good partner for a hero with snares and debuffs.
Also this type of spec will make you one hell of a dueler if thats your thing.

With the respec I'll be: 50 Valor 42 Shield 39 Pierce 6 Parry.
Going for the denfensive role and Pierce to help take down the mid seers and clerics.

But whatever you do, keep Valor or high or dont bother with a champion. :)

C

Cloak_

agree with all,, if u dont go 50 valour as a champ ur hp will suk

E

Ensceptifica

Thnx all ( :

I'm used to not being a big damage dealer, seeing my only lvl 50 char is a warden ( ; What I miss is the means to do some ranged interference and block/stun the opponents on my groupmates. My eld is nearly 50 now, so I think I'll stick to her if I feel like doing mass damage, but I prefer helping my group's defensive capabilities.

I'm taking pierce instead of LW because of the dex factor, and I like the engage and guard capabilities, so my spec will be

50 Valor
42 Shield
39 Pierce
rest parry.

With MoParry and MoBlocking I should do pretty good as a defensive tank. I also like the prospect of having a little extra utility in the Valor line as opposed to a hero.

S

Spudgie

Originally posted by Ensceptifica

50 Valor
42 Shield
39 Pierce
rest parry.

I'm going for that spec with a Luri champ, hes 44 atm. Don't plan on doing much damage though ;)

Tip - Get the Rapier of the Forsaken, 100%qual, 4pierce/parry with a dd proc. It's a fantastic weapon for that level.

M

Moody

My apologies for party crashing a Hib tread :) Speccing a Champ seems to me as comparable with a Thane or a Paladin. A Thane without almost max stormcalling or a Paladin with almost no chants are gimped warriors and armsmen.

Now my question :) I'm going to play on Hibernia again shortly with 2 friends. On Prydwen that is. We were thinking of the combo Shield Hero or Shield Champ, Enchanter and Warden. I hear you all talk about pierce, is that the best way to go? What about Blades and Blunt? No good styles? No good armor resist tables? (for Battlegrounds and such)

L

llixeraxu

the low level blunt styles are crap.

Pierce only if you luri.

B

boni_ofdavoid

Good luck with that spec, it sounds like it will do what you want from the block/interupt side of things.. but.

Youve nerfed your damage a lot (race, weapon, spec), you will hit like a warden by the sound of it.

With lower hit points and no cheap ras/moose you can take a lot less damage than a hero and are likely to be vunerable to CC.

imo youll make an inadequate secondary tank due to your low damage and and inadeqate main tank due to less hps/ras.

Sounds like you really wanna role a nice S&S Hero and leave the range interupting to the bard/casters/rangers/shades.

S

Spudgie

A luri pierce/shield champ - I made him for fun not to be uber. It is a game after all ....

L

lofff

theres a rr10 champ on pryd specced 42shield 50lw 39valor rest onehanded/parry. This is imo a poor spec.

obviously selfbuff makes no difference if u got fixed rvr crew, since u will always have smiliar druid buff but debuffs and dds do. Lower dd will do leser dmg and lower debuffs/snare will land less (get resisted more oftenly) and b less effective.

In other words, a champ wo high valor spec is a gimped hero (less hp and weaponskill with no gains in the class spec path) And even tho most ppl still keeps in mind that weird idea bout champ gimpness, debuffs are really worth it. ull see heros unable to hit assasins/friars/savages, a champ just needs to debuff dex/qui, str/con helps against every oponent, and attck spd owns slow hitters specially when u got pbt.

To get a good performance as a champ, 50valor 50lw are required, u could go s/s too but then u will have a defensive role, which doesnt match with the offensive nature of a champ.

Having 1 champ in the offensive assist team is a _must_ and makes thing so much easier.. plus having over 1500weaponskill and 2k hp on my champ (with baseline str and con =o ), i do as much dmg as any hero (+DDs ;p) and take it aswell. (ap3+ip help on the taking dmg part more than moose and 300sh more base hps will ever do)

E

Elric IA

Btw anyone going downthe 50lw 50v 27 parry 7 shield 7 1h route should be aware that there blunt taunt style is at level 8 so you wont get taunt speccing blunts. Pierce and shield are at 6.

Lofff how do you get 1500 weaponskill? Got to RR7? I am on 1494 with Feiry Revenger equipped at RR6 and str over the current 300 cap.

O

old.Laryssa

eek i thought abou respeccing blunt - wasn't aware that the taunt style needs a spec of 8 - eeks :D

L

Lessurl

Originally posted by Elric IA
Lofff how do you get 1500 weaponskill? Got to RR7? I am on 1494 with Feiry Revenger equipped at RR6 and str over the current 300 cap.

I would guess it's the extra +1 to lw from being rr7.

L

lofff

Originally posted by Elric IA

yep as lessurl said its the bit from 67lw over 66. Tho 1494 was more than enuff at rr6;P and with next patch and new cap system, will go higher.

Originally posted by old.Mitsu
Luri champs are shit. :D

celt >>>>>>>>> luri/elph ;p specially with new cap system inc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom