Chain-rebooting problems (not just daoc)

T

toxx

Not so much daoc related, but i wonder if u techies can help...

Past 2 weeks my pc has gradually started to restart itself more and more often, sometimes it'll do it once every 5 hrs... sometimes once every minute (no joke). I first thought it was my memory, so i swapped the memory for some i borrowed fro ma friend, still no difference. Today i got a new HD from the same friend, and tried that, and just after installing windows, it crashed again in the very same way. Im guessing its not software, considering it happend on 2 HD's, and im prtty sure its not memory.
CPU?

any input welcome

Thanks

G

Gabrial

Try checking your CPU temperature just after it reboots. Could be that your machine is rebooting to stop itself melting. I cant really see why though if it can go for 5 hours at a time. Failing that its possible a card is not seated correctly or ever the processor might not be seated right.

D

darzil

If you've added any hardware, especially, power supplies can be an issue. The standard ones that come with cases are generally low quality.

Also, if the CPU heatsink isn't seated properly, you'll be this sort of problem.

G

Gabrial

Good point - the newer Graphics cards draw more power than the old ones

Users who are viewing this thread