Central London Renting

G

I am considering moving to work in the city of london, i am interested in a job within my current company but its based in Tower Place in London, to weigh up all the pros and cons i need to know where i can successfully commute from to make it financially viable (i expect a payrise, but i am not bill gates).

Ideally i don't want to be commuting for more than 30 minutes door to door (lazy i know), are there any areas within that time frame that are not going to cost me an arm and a leg?

i am not really familiar with the areas of London so any help would be great.

Ta

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Simple answer? No, not really. Anywhere to anywhere in London takes at least 45 minutes. As for costs of accomodation it depends entirely on what you want; flat, flatshare, lodgings etc. If you want a one bed flat within 30 minutes of the City, good luck getting anything that's not a complete toilet for less than a grand a month. Having said that, there are places a bit further out where you'll get a better place (but I'd still say you're talking £800 for a place of your own) with fast rail links into London Bridge or Liverpool Street; of course you'll have to weigh up travel costs v. rent savings.

As ever, I'm sure you might get lucky and find a local bargain, but I wouldn't plan for it.

Nate

FH is my second home
Shenfields a good place, it's not in London but it's most likely cheaper and faster then some of the areas between it and Liverpool Street and most trains stop only at Stratford(other then Liverpool Street always being the terminating station) as it doesn't have to use the metro line. Trains normally do a Shenfield - Liverpool Street with no stops/just Stratford, so it's pretty quick. Takes 25mins.

Where is your companies building in London?

G

i thought so, basically my pay rise will most likely be soaked up with accomodation costs, i am trying to see if i can do the job from up north where its cheaper to live.

but i was looking at around £1000 a month

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Find a place in Zones 1 to 3 in order to get your commute around the 30-45 min mark.

Avoid places on the Northern line as its really crowded! (more than most of the other lines!)

West/SW London have many good areas but will therefore be more expensive.

Try getting into a house/flat share.

Check out this place to find some rental places:
Flats to rent London, jobs in London, flatshare, free classified ads UK

Canada Water is very nice. 2 stops from London Bridge on the Jubilee line. Worth trying to find somewhere there I reckon

rynnor

Rockhound
The lines into Liverpool Street are crap - constant delay/cancellations.

If you want somewhere cheap but with quick links to the city try Stevenage - 22 mins to Kings Cross or about 30 to Moorgate and with the big plus that those rail franchises are incredibly reliable.

You'll easily save more than the cost of travel and you'll even be able to get a place with parking to enjoy the quiet roads of hertfordshire.

Alternatives would be any of the other big stations on the quick services to central london stations.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've long thought that if I moved to work around London I'd probably get a mooring outside the M25 and buy a second hand narrowboat.

Obviously I'd keep my own house though.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
You could try looking at the towns between Woking and London waterloo station, Weybridge, Surbiton, Wimbledon, Clapham.

The commute from Woking to London Waterloo is about 45 minutes, depending on the train, and then it's just a few stops to get London Bridge or Bermondsdey where you walk across to tower place. My guess is about an hour's commute from Woking, and then cut off time as you get closer to London.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I live in Clapham. Come to Clapham if you want me to kick you in the face.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Where's the nearest station (tube/dlr) to this job?

I ask because you'd probably be better off either being based further out and on an "express" train route or if possible, somewhere along a DLR line.

Worth noting that the East London Line is shut down as well, so you'd want to avoid anywhere near those sections of the tube network.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I think he said tower place, so Tower Hill / Monument / Aldgate one side, London Bridge / Bermondsey from the other.

Lots of posibilities really. Waterloo, Victoria, Liverpool Street (when it's open), Euston and London Bridge all have pretty decent rail links to the comuter towns, but only ever done the Woking to Waterloo Comute, so can't comment on the others.

Nate

FH is my second home
Google maps gives a pretty good idea of whats in the area.

Tower Place London - Google Maps

Then theres this map of the Underground to see what links to the stations, bit complicated though! From Liverpool St. you could get to Tower Hill(seems the closest) in 2 stops.

Bit of a bunter this pic so I'll spoiler it
london-undergound-tube-map.gif

DaGaffer

Where's the nearest station (tube/dlr) to this job?

I ask because you'd probably be better off either being based further out and on an "express" train route or if possible, somewhere along a DLR line.

Worth noting that the East London Line is shut down as well, so you'd want to avoid anywhere near those sections of the tube network.

If its Tower Place (as he says in his post), then the nearest mainline station is London Bridge, which would mean looking at Kent/East Surrey area. Having said that, if he's willing to spend a grand a month, then Southwark/Bermondsey/Old Kent Road is walkable and not that bad to live in (in a "Can you help, violent incident"-sign kind of way);

propertyfinder.com will give a fair indication of prices.

G

tower hill or fenchurch street, thats where i could be working

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
for god's sake don't live off the old kent rd.....i lived in one of the nicer areas and got mugged twice in 6 months by the same group of underage delinquents - little bastards.
We live in richmond, takes us about 50 mins to get to the center of london on the tube, but you can go overland to waterloo in 23 mins and there are LOADS of trains. Its lovely, but fairly pricey - we pay £1100 for a 2 bed flat within a stones throw of the station and thats conbsidered a good price.
Kingston is worth investigating, again, very quick into waterloo.
if you're looking for a rental or a flatshare, try using London Flatshare - t'is very useful and has surprisingly good offers sometimes.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Lambeth is shite. Avoid!!

Bermondsey is ok. Not great but ok.

If you manage to get a flat on tooley street right by London bridge you will be laughing as its a very easy walk to the city...

The DLR is quite good too so you could try places like Mudshute (on the line down from Canary wharf) and around there.

Away from tube lines but easy to get into the city. Places Like East Dulwich and Blackheath are very nice.

Tilda

My commute is 30 mins door to door on a good morning. Anywhere in zone one will be fine provided you're on a tube line that ends within about 10 mins walk of work.

So if its that vital, find what tube station is nearest, then look along the tube line.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you want London Bridge then anywhere from Wimbledon, Sutton, or Croydon would give you a reasonable journey time. You can move closer to London, but the journey time doesn't always get shorter and the areas tend to be worse.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
We live in richmond, takes us about 50 mins to get to the center of london on the tube, but you can go overland to waterloo in 23 mins and there are LOADS of trains. Its lovely, but fairly pricey - we pay £1100 for a 2 bed flat within a stones throw of the station and thats conbsidered a good price.
Kingston is worth investigating, again, very quick into waterloo.

I grew up near Richmond and it's a nice area but I've been looking for somewhere to rent around there recently and it is quite expensive.
Is that £1100 p/m? That's pretty good if so!

I'm in Sunbury at the moment and I pay £300 p/m for a single room in a houseshare and it's a dodgy cash-in-hand deal. I really want to move out but it's so much effort to find somewhere else to live, etc. Ideally I want to rent somewhere with my friends but they aren't particularly enthusiastic about the whole process either. :(

Brooky you'll definitely pay less if you're more on the outskirts, but as you said you don't want to travel too much you'll probably end up paying quite a bit, especially if you're used to 'up north' prices. :)

G

London doesn't want you.

Wazzer, if you cannot contribute without trolling then please refrain from posting

mobius, yeah, i am used to up north prices, 300 a month for a mortgage etc.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Please carry on posting Wazz. Welp, that makes it one vote for each.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's not trolling. I asked London what it though.

Also, avoid SW London. It wants you even less than central.

G

im thinking about SW20...........................

G

i know it is, that could be the reason i said it...... ;)

DaGaffer

Seriously. Don't. I don't want you on my doorstep. That's my postcode, and I'll fight you to the death for it.

I'll buy a ticket to see that. Brooky, go for it, Wimbledon's quite a nice area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom