Celtic music

A

Addlcove

does anyone have any recomendations? looking for cd's with songs and/or tunes with Celtic music

only cd I have is "Celtic Voices - women of Ireland" which I bought recently (after stumbling over it in a tellyshop :)) I know there´s a lot of "folk-song" albums on the market, but the lyrics should be Gaelic, not english. (tunes with bagpibes are also ok, don´t want a full album of it though <grin>)

D

doh_boy

I'm not sure if they have gaelic lyrics but the Dubliners are top stuff. Kelly (can't remember his second name) has a few solo albums out you could look around them. Most of the Irish music I hear tends to be in english (and thats music from Mayo). :/

W

Will

Depends what you are after really. I used to listen to Tartan Amoebas, Shooglenifty, Afro-Celt Sound System, and Martyn Bennett. But that isn't exactly traditional. Or in Gaelic.

Though only Shooglenifty out of that list has any lyrics at all.

A

Addlcove

what I am after is "folk-music" with gaelic lyrics, I´d recommend the "Celtic Voices" cd if you can get it, it´s not all in gaelic but there are some really nice songs on it

M

mank

like doh_boy says, The Dubliners are your best bet. There's about a thousand 'best of' albums from them which is a good starting point.

O

old.tRoG

Search for Catherine Anne MacPhee.

Gaelic singer. And she's related to me :)

Edit: clickie

Canan Nan Gaidheal is the best one.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by old.tRoG
Search for Catherine Anne MacPhee.

Gaelic singer. And she's related to me :)

Edit: clickie

Canan Nan Gaidheal is the best one.

yuo´re gonna make me a poor man! bastid!

O

old.tRoG

Don't bother with Mairi Mor - It's crap :p

In my opinion, of course.

Btw, if you're after some good ol' ceilaidh hang-bangingly good foot stomping dancy gaelic music tracks, check out the Vatersay Boys. They are TeH RaWK!

W

WPKenny

No lyrics but the Cheiftains are good Irish music.

Mary Black's a fairly famous Irish singer but I dunno if any of her stuff is in Gaelic.

There's Clannad.

There's Anuna, the choir, who you might remember from the bit at the start of the Riverdance tune.

Next time I'm round "me Da's" house I'll have a look through his CD collection.

S

SilverHood

riverdance is damn good, album by Bill Whalen I think

not a lot of lyrics mind, is an opera esque one with gaelic lyrics tho

G

GDW

Most traditional Irish songs available on CD etc are sung in English as they are more commercially viable, since only a minority of Irish people actually speak fluent Gaelic.

Some of Mary Blacks early stuff is traditional and sung in Irish as is early Clannad ( when I say early I mean late 70's, early 80's)

You also might like to check out Planxty or Boys of the Lough ( bands from the 70s) or early Paul Brady/Christie Moore. Though a lot of this stuff will be deleted now

More recently a band called Altan have been doing the rounds for the past ten years.

X

xane

Cheiftains, Mary Black, Clannad - all good stuff.

D

doh_boy

Mary O'hara,

The clancy Brothers,

These are all from me ma so I've no idea how good they are.

Users who are viewing this thread